• ...and so much more!
  • gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    Hey guys,

My girlfriend for my birthday present wants me to pick out a defensive handgun class I would like to take. So I need some help picking out the best one to take. I have tried to look around on my own but I could use some help from you guys who have attended some before. I've never taken a defensive handgun class but I know the basics of a handgun so I would like to stay away from those classes of like "how to shoot a handgun and how to hold it." Im really looking for a more defensive class where I can learn about the laws and how to draw from a holster and all of that. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I'm a bit biased, but I think a good place to start is the Defensive Concepts 1 that I teach with Coach. It is not a shooting class in the traditional sense of trying to improve your fundamentals, the mechanics of shooting, etc. It's focused on the "Defensive" part, not the shooting part. It takes multiple real life defensive shootings I've worked as a detective and walks you through them. We cover OODA loop, body language that shows an impending assault, touch on post-shooting, etc. I teach from the perspective of having investigated a plethora of shootings, robberies, etc. in Marion Co.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/429645-defensive-concepts-level-1-a.html

Coach runs the logistics, but last I heard we had 3 slots left. With manpower concerns, this may be the only time I can run this class this year.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Any class by "Coach" is money well spent. The class "BehindBlueI's" noted above would be excellent. Here's another...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sive-pistol-1-parabellum-april-26-2017-a.html

I've personally taken several of Coaches classes. He is very skilled with a firearm and knows how to teach for sure.
    The Carry League he conducts is another to put on your list. It usually involves 3 consecutive Sundays and really covers a lot of material.
    PARABELLUM CARRY SKILLS LEAGUE | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well, I'm a bit biased, but I think a good place to start is the Defensive Concepts 1 that I teach with Coach. It is not a shooting class in the traditional sense of trying to improve your fundamentals, the mechanics of shooting, etc. It's focused on the "Defensive" part, not the shooting part. It takes multiple real life defensive shootings I've worked as a detective and walks you through them. We cover OODA loop, body language that shows an impending assault, touch on post-shooting, etc. I teach from the perspective of having investigated a plethora of shootings, robberies, etc. in Marion Co.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/429645-defensive-concepts-level-1-a.html

Coach runs the logistics, but last I heard we had 3 slots left. With manpower concerns, this may be the only time I can run this class this year.

I have taken this class and I can say it was easily worth ten times the admisson fee. It fits into the criteria you listed.

What other classes have you taken? You mention wanting to work on drawing from the holster, is that something you are brand new to, or are you somewhat comfortable already?

Aron Bright a.k.a. Coach (referenced above) is a good teacher if you want to work on the mechanics and fundamentals to be a better shooter. He has something to offer to people of all skill levels.

A Revere's Riders basic pistol class helped me tremendously last fall too, despite it being a very beginner focused class. That's something you should suggest doing with your girlfriend.

Attorney Guy Relford, (Tactical Firearms Training) teaches an 8 hour course focused on Indiana self-defense law, but it's all classroom and no shooting.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    I have taken this class and I can say it was easily worth ten times the admisson fee. It fits into the criteria you listed.

What other classes have you taken? You mention wanting to work on drawing from the holster, is that something you are brand new to, or are you somewhat comfortable already?

Aron Bright a.k.a. Coach (referenced above) is a good teacher if you want to work on the mechanics and fundamentals to be a better shooter. He has something to offer to people of all skill levels.

A Revere's Riders basic pistol class helped me tremendously last fall too, despite it being a very beginner focused class. That's something you should suggest doing with your girlfriend.

Attorney Guy Relford, (Tactical Firearms Training) teaches an 8 hour course focused on Indiana self-defense law, but it's all classroom and no shooting.

To be honest, I'm not super comfortable with drawing from a holster and this is something I would like to work on within a class as well.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis

Im pretty familiar as far as target shooting and taking handguns to the range go but Im looking to better my carrying skills

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Boone County Sheriff Dept 2-day Defensive Handgun Class. Sounds like exactly what you want, and the teaching is top notch. I think it's $150.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'll echo these two also. I also took a class a couple of LEO's taught at Wildcat Valley in Lafayette a couple years ago. I thought they did a good job. The answered questions, helped those that needed some "extra" help and even had some fun with some of the drills. I can try to find out who they are and if they are still teaching if you are interested.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Boone County Sheriff Dept 2-day Defensive Handgun Class. Sounds like exactly what you want, and the teaching is top notch. I think it's $150.

Thats pretty cool. I'd think that would be something more police agencies would want to do. Teaching the safe and effective use of firearms would make their jobs easier!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would start with either Mindset Lab's Intro to Force on Force or Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol.

These are both true defensive classes. I would recommend Intro to Force on Force first, but it is not offered as often as Fighting Pistol. They are both excellent classes that teach the basic skills. They both stand out in the way they handle mindset.

If someone I loved was going to only take one defensive focused class in their life, I would recommend these two. If someone I loved was going to take a bunch of defensive focused classes, I would recommend they take these first.

:twocents:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for all the kind words upstream. There is not one Handgun course that is going to get it all done. For learning a proper drawstroke I would start with Gun Handling 101.
    GUN HANDLING 101 | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

It is short, cheap and value packed. The draw stroke is a point of emphasis. Taking a full day defensive handgun class without a good draw stroke is going to take away from the class. I have a variety of other things at Parabellum as well, which have already be stated. The Defensive Concepts class is a must as well.

Top Bottom