Changes to Ohio Carry Laws Effective Today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Does Ohio honor Indiana's permit?

I believe they do recognize Indiana handgun licenses now.
    I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that changed last year.

There are other considerations though.
    Ohio is a "must inform" state.
    If pulled over, you "MUST inform" the officer that you are licensed to, and are carrying a firearm.
    To my understanding, this had better be the very first thing you say to the officer.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Chelsey Worth says expanding where guns can go could carry a high price.
    "I come from Connecticut. Sandy Hook was a devastating experience for me," Worth said. "There's no place for guns in certain places -- playgrounds, day cares, schools. My opinion is there's just not a place for it."

Having good guys armed with a gun in Sandy Hook could have prevented the mass loss of life there. Why can't people see this? It was illegal for him to bring a gun into that school, yet he did anyway because he wanted to kill. The results wouldn't have been any worse if it were legal to have carried, though the results could have been better if someone else was allowed to carry.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Chelsey Worth says expanding where guns can go could carry a high price.
    "I come from Connecticut. Sandy Hook was a devastating experience for me," Worth said. "There's no place for guns in certain places -- playgrounds, day cares, schools. My opinion is there's just not a place for it."

Having good guys armed with a gun in Sandy Hook could have prevented the mass loss of life there. Why can't people see this? It was illegal for him to bring a gun into that school, yet he did anyway because he wanted to kill. The results wouldn't have been any worse if it were legal to have carried, though the results could have been better if someone else was allowed to carry.

They can't see it for the same reason they can't see that Constitutional carry should pass in its own right, and that the "temporary bypass" to the LTCH process is also a good idea that should pass in its own right (if Constitutional carry is too big a bite for them to take without choking,) however, with the way Sen. Bray is "signaling", neither will pass this year. In short, it's "guns R bad, mmmkay?"

"Why" is less important than fixing it, though, and we do that by education. We start talking to people now, today, and explaining that restrictions on the right only stop those who will follow the law, and do nothing to the criminal until and unless he is caught. If Bray stymies us again this year, we need to make sure he knows the score next year; We also need to make sure that the people who vote for our candidates TELL the candidates that we want Constitutional carry. I don't just mean saying it here on INGO, but out and about, making sure people know that they have rights that are being curtailed and infringed and they are less safe because of it.

The key, though, is to not come off as a zealot. When you do that, you lose your audience. Calm, rational, factual points make the difference in these discussions. Plant the seed and don't be afraid to walk away without fully convincing the person you're talking with. Get them interested enough to come back and ask for more.

Blessings,
    Bill

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The key, though, is to not come off as a zealot. When you do that, you lose your audience. Calm, rational, factual points make the difference in these discussions. Plant the seed and don't be afraid to walk away without fully convincing the person you're talking with. Get them interested enough to come back and ask for more.

Blessings,
    Bill

This is so right on.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My company's corporate office is in Ohio. I was discussing this with a HR rep. He stated that the law about having a firearm on company property only covers handguns. No shotguns or rifles. I haven't checked into the wording of the new law yet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Unfortunately in my case since the company owns the car I drive back and forth to work, they can make a no guns allowed in company car policy. I don't think the laws would prevent the company from taking disciplinary action if I did get caught with one in it.

But if I am wrong, I'd like to know!:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Rhino. I thought it was but it seemed like the maps showing it had a different color with some kind of stipulation so I wasn't sure.

You're welcome! If in doubt, always refer to the specific state's laws and regulations in writing!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So we're good on carrying into Ohio? As long as we tell the cops that pull us over?

And the no gun signs on (most) private property hold the wieght of the law. I do believe there is also something about carrying while in an establishment that serves alcohol. But I'm not sure what that is.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    They can't see it for the same reason they can't see that Constitutional carry should pass in its own right, and that the "temporary bypass" to the LTCH process is also a good idea that should pass in its own right (if Constitutional carry is too big a bite for them to take without choking,) however, with the way Sen. Bray is "signaling", neither will pass this year. In short, it's "guns R bad, mmmkay?"

"Why" is less important than fixing it, though, and we do that by education. We start talking to people now, today, and explaining that restrictions on the right only stop those who will follow the law, and do nothing to the criminal until and unless he is caught. If Bray stymies us again this year, we need to make sure he knows the score next year; We also need to make sure that the people who vote for our candidates TELL the candidates that we want Constitutional carry. I don't just mean saying it here on INGO, but out and about, making sure people know that they have rights that are being curtailed and infringed and they are less safe because of it.

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree...I guess I just would like to know how these "educated" people can't understand the simplest ideas....and because they can't/won't understand, all our gun rights get put on hold.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks Rhino. I thought it was but it seemed like the maps showing it had a different color with some kind of stipulation so I wasn't sure.

Michigan only recognizes Indiana *resident* licenses, same as Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire, and Maine(the latter two are both Constitutional carry, but Maine specifically recognizes IN, among others.) South Carolina is also a "resident-only", meaning that for the states they recognize, they won't recognize it unless you live there. I can't carry in SC on my Arizona CFP, for example, but I could if I lived in Arizona.

I agree...I guess I just would like to know how these "educated" people can't understand the simplest ideas....and because they can't/won't understand, all our gun rights get put on hold.

If by "educated people", you refer to politicians, they're responding to what their constituencies tell them. If you have 50,000 people in your district, and half of them are saying No to permitless carry, you've got 25,000 people to answer to when you go against their wishes. Some of the districts were 85% against, so that's 42,500 or so, of 50,000. THAT's why "our gun rights get put on hold", not because the politicians don't understand, but because they're doing the job that their constituencies hired them to do: Represent them.

So... we have our work cut out for us. We have to do the educating, and we have to do it with the media against us. The old saying is "Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." That's becoming less relevant, of course, but with the dying of the mass media comes the rise of the numbers of "media outlets", whether they're Perez Hilton or DJT on his phone, tweeting to the world. I have to say that from what little I saw of it this morning, numbskulls like Beck, in re: Tomi Lahren, do not help in that regard.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom