• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yesterday my son in law and my daughter, along with my grandson, asked me to join them for lunch here locally in the Indianapolis area. I get off work close to where they live around lunchtime so I said hey why not and went on over to meet them (Chicago Pizza).
    I pulled into the parking lot and noticed my SIL as usual carrying his Springfield XDM open carry, but decided to take off my uniform shirt, slide on a windbreaker and since I had changed into something more comfortable kept my BUG a G-42 only in my cargo pants pocket.

The pizza was good, and of course nothing unusual happened but "I" felt naked sitting there without a bigger Glock in .40 at my side. Sure I love my lil G-42 although before yesterday I never carried I all by itself.

I know what your thinking, take a deep breath its OK, nothing happened and you dis have a spare mag in your other pocket but................... so psychologically at least for me yesterday, I did feel under gunned, not just because my SIL had a XDM on his hip, but because I coulda/shoulda kept my Glock-23 or trunk gun Glock-22 and spare bag on me and the mini Glock-42 as a BUG.

Anybody else ever have a moment like that? Again I am not bashing the G-42, I could upgrade to a G-43 and may still have felt that way, I don't know.

Maybe the old additive is true, "bigger is better".

I know many of you EDC a G-42 and feel just fine, I know if needed the G-42 would suffice, I just felt kinda under gunned as I put it during the lunch and lesson to self, always carry at least a G-27/G-26 platform minimum and a spare mag or bigger.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's something that does cross your mind when something is different. Carrying a revolver with 6 instead of 12+1, IWB when OWB is the norm.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Kinda like the nightmare everyone had as kids, you know the one, sitting in your high school economics class when the school "babe" walks up to you and points and starts laughing because you're sitting in class in your underwear.

Right? Same thing?:laugh:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Had a fellah say he wouldn't go outside without at least a 9mm or so. Surely nothing like a P32. Much to my chagrin, that's what was in my pocket at the time.
    This individual further shared that he was carrying an XDS .45.
    Now, in general I have a lot of respect for this guy's opinions.
    I'd been wanting to try one, so when a good price came up on one, I snapped it up. Darn thing was just unpleasant for me to shoot, and I just recently sold it off to another fellah who's a .45 only guy.
    I still do think a .32 auto is a little light for daily carry, but it beats the hell out of a stick most days.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP I would not sweat it. I also would not feel poorly armed while eating pizza with only a G42 or a Jframe .38.

I also would not feel unarmed with a good stick...but you won't catch me with a .25 or .32 pocket gun. ;)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the replies, my SIL is what he is, we have had this discussion about his OC vs my CC, he'll just have to learn, I did not feel threatened at all during the lunch although many people have just gone out to get milk or have lunch whatever and some nasty things have happened. In my case while carrying one of three Glock forties almost 24/7, my thinking that day was its just lunch, let me keep the BUG on me and the forty locked in the car, then realizing for whatever reason as it dawned on me that I just did not feel as secure as I usually did when something in forty flavor was on me.
    That was the reality part.

Yes, I was armed, yes, I had a spare mag on me, yes, if something had happened the G-42 .380 was better than nothing, and while I do own a G-43, would I have felt the same way?

I don't know. I may have to go back to square one a rubber band and five paper clips and start all over. Many times I have replied to other threads of how I liked the G-42 over my G-43, but...............I think for me the lesson was apparent, stick to at least one of the forties always (G-22/23/27), and you should feel more safe in any situation.

Then again there are times when an M-1 Abrams wouldn't make me feel safe.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the replies, my SIL is what he is, we have had this discussion about his OC vs my CC, he'll just have to learn, I did not feel threatened at all during the lunch although many people have just gone out to get milk or have lunch whatever and some nasty things have happened. In my case while carrying one of three Glock forties almost 24/7, my thinking that day was its just lunch, let me keep the BUG on me and the forty locked in the car, then realizing for whatever reason as it dawned on me that I just did not feel as secure as I usually did when something in forty flavor was on me.
    That was the reality part.

Yes, I was armed, yes, I had a spare mag on me, yes, if something had happened the G-42 .380 was better than nothing, and while I do own a G-43, would I have felt the same way?

I don't know. I may have to go back to square one a rubber band and five paper clips and start all over. Many times I have replied to other threads of how I liked the G-42 over my G-43, but...............I think for me the lesson was apparent, stick to at least one of the forties always (G-22/23/27), and you should feel more safe in any situation.

Then again there are times when an M-1 Abrams wouldn't make me feel safe.

That's why I avoid 34th and Sherman and 21st and Post. And 38th and anything...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I can sympathize with you. I tried carrying a little single stack nine to South Bend awhile back. I almost felt unarmed the entire time. I can carry my Colt Commander in .45 (8+1) and I don't feel like that. I can carry a 9mm with 13+1 and I don't feel like that. But I kept thinking 6 or 7 rounds of 9mm? Dude, what the hell are you doing?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I worry less about caliber and more about capacity combined with ability make precise shots at reasonable distance. I like the G43 as BUG, but wouldn't want to fall into making it the go to primary.

I want to be able to keep me and mine alive through a two member impromptu MS13 gun battle. A 1-2 adversary active shooter scenario would be similar. Taking on one or two hi-cap handguns, let alone a long gunner, would make one feel less confident with a "belly gun" as their primary life saving device. :twocents:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I worry less about caliber and more about capacity combined with ability make precise shots at reasonable distance. I like the G43 as BUG, but wouldn't want to fall into making it the go to primary.

I want to be able to keep me and mine alive through a two member impromptu MS13 gun battle. A 1-2 adversary active shooter scenario would be similar. Taking on one or two hi-cap handguns, let alone a long gunner, would make one feel less confident with a "belly gun" as their primary life saving device. :twocents:

But a G43 is soooo much more comfortable than a G19.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I agree somewhat. First consideration is reliability. The Glock 42 is the only .380 I have seen make it through even basic pistol training without a malfunction. The Sig938 might be able to go the distance but it has a couple other things working against it.

Second is accuracy or or the ability to place a shot where it needs to be placed. I have seen people shoot M&P shields better then their full size counterparts and of course vice versa. My Walther PPS gives up nothing in the accuracy and shootability department compared to my Glock 19.

Third is size, weight, general ergonomics and comfort. A gun at home does you no good. But be careful not to let size and convenience dictate your decision. A person should carry the largested gun they can 1) shoot well and 2) Fit into their lifestyle. I prefer carrying my 1911 but that does not work day to day with my job requirements. If you shoot a Glock 19 the best and can conceal or fit it into your lifestyle then that is the best choice.

Capacity is good. I am a fan of carrying more bullets. More guns, more knives, more lights, more tourniquets. Mo is better. But there is a practical limit, in my case influenced by my employer.

Caliber should be a commonly available service cartridge. 9mm, .40, .45. .38+P. .380 or other should be reserved for BUGs or deep concealment requirements.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just got back from a trip to Arizona and Las Vegas. I took my P245 and a coin sap. I strongly considered just taking my LCR, but I don't have a decent tuckable holster for it since it's normally a BUG. I didn't feel any different than when I carry my P226, except it was easier to conceal and I had less worry about being made (No guns signs do carry weight of law in AZ, you can be arrested for trespass). That far out of town, I'm not worried about targeted violence as no one knows me. For random violence, I'm quite satisfied in the effectiveness of a single stack or revolver, along with a less lethal alternative when a firearm isn't called for, to deal with the situation if I do my part.

Side note: I was surprised by the number of no weapons signs in AZ. I didn't see a single no weapons sign in Vegas.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I just got back from a trip to Arizona and Las Vegas. I took my P245 and a coin sap. I strongly considered just taking my LCR, but I don't have a decent tuckable holster for it since it's normally a BUG. I didn't feel any different than when I carry my P226, except it was easier to conceal and I had less worry about being made (No guns signs do carry weight of law in AZ, you can be arrested for trespass). That far out of town, I'm not worried about targeted violence as no one knows me. For random violence, I'm quite satisfied in the effectiveness of a single stack or revolver, along with a less lethal alternative when a firearm isn't called for, to deal with the situation if I do my part.

Side note: I was surprised by the number of no weapons signs in AZ. I didn't see a single no weapons sign in Vegas.

Doesn't LEOSA exemp you from the signage?

Top Bottom