When needing to get to your gun, how much time did you have?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much time did you have to get your gun out, whether a shot was fired or not?

• Total voters

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    You see videos where people say that a gunfight lasts 3 seconds. It's almost enough to make you think that you need to have your gun in your hand constantly if you are going to survive in this life. I know that I carry, not primarily for my own protection, but so that if I need to help protect someone else then I have a means to do so. I feel that I can read situations pretty good for the most part and can avoid what looks like bad situations about 95% of the time. But of course sometimes things happen that have nothing to do with being in a bad environment, for instance if you were in a grocery store and someone starts shooting.
    But you never hear of people who know karate actually getting in a fight in real life. It's always those who are not prepared who get targeted.
    So I was wondering, of those who needed to pull their gun out, whether a shot was fired or not, how much time did you have?

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    You see videos where people say that a gunfight lasts 3 seconds. It's almost enough to make you think that you need to have your gun in your hand constantly if you are going to survive in this life. I know that I carry, not primarily for my own protection, but so that if I need to help protect someone else then I have a means to do so. I feel that I can read situations pretty good for the most part and can avoid what looks like bad situations about 95% of the time. But of course sometimes things happen that have nothing to do with being in a bad environment, for instance if you were in a grocery store and someone starts shooting.
    But you never hear of people who know karate actually getting in a fight in real life. It's always those who are not prepared who get targeted.
    So I was wondering, of those who needed to pull their gun out, whether a shot was fired or not, how much time did you have?

Here you go:

Was speed of the draw a consideration in the outcome:
    Yes, from body carry x5
    Yes, from off body carry x2
    No, had firearm in hand prior to need to engage x3
    No, had other weapon in hand (knife, blunt, etc) prior to need to engage x 2
    No, draw speed of weapon was not a consideration (disabled prior to beginning draw, bad shoot and suspects already fleeing before 1st shot, etc.) x5
    N/A, unarmed resistance x2

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The time it takes a Rottweiler to cross an American two lane street (that's like 22 feet or so I think)*.

*Street was "sunken road" thus dog had to slow to cross street then re-accelerate. I started draw stroke (Ted Blocker Lifeline shoulder rig) when it was apparent dog was targeting me.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    The time it takes a Rottweiler to cross an American two lane street (that's like 22 feet or so I think)*.

*Street was "sunken road" thus dog had to slow to cross street then re-accelerate. I started draw stroke (Ted Blocker Lifeline shoulder rig) when it was apparent dog was targeting me.

I agree completely. Almost exact same situation except the last time I had to draw was a pit bull going from his yard to my side of the road!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    This has been one of my favorite posts on this site. I'd love to see what the stats have shown from the time that post was made to now. I'm sure it was time consuming to come up with.

Yes, there was a lot of really good information there!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This has been one of my favorite posts on this site. I'd love to see what the stats have shown from the time that post was made to now. I'm sure it was time consuming to come up with.

The numbers have gone up, but the trends have remained the same.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    How much time is needed depends on the situation.

Right, the point of this poll is that there are many situations where someone may want to have their gun in hand, and also it doesn't matter if the gun was shot or not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I figure you have maybe 3 seconds if you are paying attention, and about a second and a half if not. You certainly aren't "going to go get your gun". Better darned well have it on you, it better darned well be loaded, and you better darned well know how to use it.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    How would they know how much time they had?

Great question! So there are a couple of scenarios here that I'm imagining.
    1) Perception of danger - so you get your gun out just in case
    2) Immediate danger - get your gun out to use it
    So in the first scenario let's say you are walking and a big dog starts to cross the street.
    In this event you would get your gun out because you don't know the intentions of the dog.
    So you get your gun out and the dog finally gets to you, but it turns out to just be a friendly dog.
    In the second scenario let's say someone breaks into your house at night and you have your gun at your nightstand, but it takes 20 seconds for the intruder to enter into the bedroom, but sees you with a gun and runs away.
    Both cases you needed the gun, but the threats were different.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Great question! So there are a couple of scenarios here that I'm imagining.
    1) Perception of danger - so you get your gun out just in case
    2) Immediate danger - get your gun out to use it
    So in the first scenario let's say you are walking and a big dog starts to cross the street.
    In this event you would get your gun out because you don't know the intentions of the dog.
    So you get your gun out and the dog finally gets to you, but it turns out to just be a friendly dog.
    In the second scenario let's say someone breaks into your house at night and you have your gun at your nightstand, but it takes 20 seconds for the intruder to enter into the bedroom, but sees you with a gun and runs away.
    Both cases you needed the gun, but the threats were different.

Right. But even after the fact you may know how long you took...Maybe...but how do you know how long you had?

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Well, people aren't going to be timing anything, but their perception of how much time they had can be meaningful.

Top Bottom