• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    After several years of carrying full size pistols, I am looking at a compact. I am thinking about an XDS (the four free mags makes the decision easier) and a sneaky pete holster. Anyone tried this and have any words of advice before I dive in?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The XDs is a good choice. I alternate between one and an XDm depending on the circumstances.

If at all possible I highly recommend you find a range where you can try it out before you buy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would avoid the sneaky Pete. You can't get a shooting grip on the draw, it's junk, and it looks horrendous.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Never used a Sneaky Pete, but you aren't fooling anyone. People who recognize it as a gun will recognize it, everyone else is clueless anyway. During the week I carry a Walther PPS (substitute any other single stack 9) in a Comptac Mtac (again substitute other tuckable holsters) with my shirt tucked in. Been doing this every workday for the past 8 months. The only people who have spotted the gun are other gun guys that know I am a gun guy. Even then they spotted the C clips and not the gun.

I have really grown to like my little single stack. But it is still no replacement for a larger gun.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you're looking at an XDS .45, I'd definitely look for a chance to try it out before you buy. I'm short, and have relatively small hands. At first I didn't mind it, but after awhile I had to ask why I was punishing myself just to be able to throw .45s from such a small package. I do think it is a truly good design, and if I didn't already have a similarly sized 9mm, I'd buy an XDS in 9 in a heartbeat.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have the xds 3.3 in 45 and love it. It did take some practice to get use to it(accuracy) and for me personally it doesn't punish my hands. I use a concealment express iwb holster for carry purposes and love the holster. Definitely going to be my summer carry gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have the xds 3.3 in 45 and love it. It did take some practice to get use to it(accuracy) and for me personally it doesn't punish my hands. I use a concealment express iwb holster for carry purposes and love the holster. Definitely going to be my summer carry gun.

I picked up a concealment express for my PPS. I think they are good Kyle's for the single stack guns. Nice wide clip, good retention. For $35 they are worth buying. Good holster to have around if you need to grab the gun and run to get a gallon of milk.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The XDs is a good choice. I alternate between one and an XDm depending on the circumstances.

If at all possible I highly recommend you find a range where you can try it out before you buy.
    Parabellum has one on the rental wall.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    After several years of carrying full size pistols, I am looking at a compact. I am thinking about an XDS (the four free mags makes the decision easier) and a sneaky pete holster. Anyone tried this and have any words of advice before I dive in?

How do you normally carry now? I wouldnt' use a sneaky pete, but that's just me. If it is your only option, then go with it. The single stacks are so easy to fit inside the waistband though, so you might want to look into a tuckable holster.

Personally, I found the XDS to be the perfect sized gun for me while shooting and carrying. Some have issues with the .45 and the recoil punishing them, but that hasn't happened with me. Of course the 9 is awesome as well.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've tried compacts and found that I don't like them that much. And Sneaky Pete holsters don't serve much purpose except to hide the fact that you are carrying. I think they would get in the way if you ever really needed to draw. If you're not into open carry, I would rather use a concealed carry holster under an open shirt, at least you don't have to fumble around for it.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Take a look at the G43, with the pinky extension magazine its very comfortable. I want to get some Taran Tactical base plates for my spare mags. I cant speak for any other compacts except a J-frame but that doesn't seem to be where your're going.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Never used a Sneaky Pete, but you aren't fooling anyone. People who recognize it as a gun will recognize it, everyone else is clueless anyway. During the week I carry a Walther PPS (substitute any other single stack 9) in a Comptac Mtac (again substitute other tuckable holsters) with my shirt tucked in. Been doing this every workday for the past 8 months. The only people who have spotted the gun are other gun guys that know I am a gun guy. Even then they spotted the C clips and not the gun.

I have really grown to like my little single stack. But it is still no replacement for a larger gun.

How do you prevent the bulge in the waistband from being horribly noticeable? Every time I try to carry my shield in a Foxx fullsize holester and tuck my shirt in, a very unnatural bulge seems to stand out on my waistband right where the gun is.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How do you prevent the bulge in the waistband from being horribly noticeable? Every time I try to carry my shield in a Foxx fullsize holester and tuck my shirt in, a very unnatural bulge seems to stand out on my waistband right where the gun is.

It does bulge a little bit. But at the 4 o'clock position it is behind my hip and nobody notices. If they do they don't say anything. If you opt for AIWB the bulge will be in front where nobody looks and broken up by the body. The most noticeable part of the rig is the clips on the belt.

I could not pull off a Glock 26 in this manner because of the width of the gun. Commander sized 1911s have to long a grip and print. But on the belt in a IWB holster is the natural place for the newest crop of single stack 9s.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I've tried the xds 9, and an xdm 3.8. I thought I'd like a slimmer gun(xds), buuuut no!
    I'll stick with my G26 with pinky extension in a comp-tac MTAC. They both just work
    and even better together. I'd even carry a G19 over a slim. Just my:twocents:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    It does bulge a little bit. But at the 4 o'clock position it is behind my hip and nobody notices. If they do they don't say anything. If you opt for AIWB the bulge will be in front where nobody looks and broken up by the body. The most noticeable part of the rig is the clips on the belt.

I could not pull off a Glock 26 in this manner because of the width of the gun. Commander sized 1911s have to long a grip and print. But on the belt in a IWB holster is the natural place for the newest crop of single stack 9s.

I guess that makes sense. A non gun peraon wouldn't figure the bulge was a gun. I just like to be completley concealed so as not to freak people out. Thanks Vert.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I guess that makes sense. A non gun peraon wouldn't figure the bulge was a gun. I just like to be completley concealed so as not to freak people out. Thanks Vert.

"completely" concealed is tough. That pretty much requires a micro .380 and some type of alternative carry position. Personally I feel this is giving up too much but every persons situation is different. Prior to some policy changes I carried a Smith 642 in a SmartCarry as a deep concealment option. Even this bulges a bit but people don't make a habit of staring at your crotch. Although I did get a funny look from one of the secretaries early on when I was still trying to fine tune the position of the holster.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Friend of mine bought a Sneaky Pete holster (against my advice). In addition to the points mentioned (ex. you can't get a proper firing grip), the quality sucked, and frankly, it isn't very "sneaky".

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    "completely" concealed is tough. That pretty much requires a micro .380 and some type of alternative carry position. Personally I feel this is giving up too much but every persons situation is different. Prior to some policy changes I carried a Smith 642 in a SmartCarry as a deep concealment option. Even this bulges a bit but people don't make a habit of staring at your crotch. Although I did get a funny look from one of the secretaries early on when I was still trying to fine tune the position of the holster.

I've had decent luck as with a slightly larger than I need button down shirt untucked. Both my shield and 45c don't print at all...now if I reach for anything, the shirt ends up above the gun. People are just so sensitive now and they freak out over nothing...I don't like to attract that kind of attention, what they don't know won't hurt them.

And I guess you should have told her, "no, I'm not happy to see you, that's just my gun":)

Top Bottom