• ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I got this from the "Hunting Indiana" email newsletter:

ATTENTION all LaPorte County hunters and shooters

LaPorte county ordinance proposal to ban discharging a firearm with 1000 ft of a residential dwelling. Meeting Wednesday at 6pm CST at the county complex on State St in downtown LaPorte. A county commissioner is the sponsor, and the pro-gun president is on vacation.

Please take time to attend this very important meeting.. Your hunting and shooting could depend on it.

The agenda…

www.laportecounty.org/Resources/Commissions/Agendas/20170419Agenda.pdf

THANKS

I notice the proposal isn't on the 'agenda' but if it's like the other legislative things I've been to, they are SNEAKY and you can't trust 'em.....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Statewide preemption. I doubt they can actually get away with it.

Notably absent from preemption is prohibitions on the discharge of a firearm.

Perhaps next session, the General Assembly can craft language to expand preemption to prohibit local subdivisions from addressing any lawful use of a firearm, which is to say that any use including but not limited to training, target practice ("plinking"), hunting, and self-defense is beyond the scope of any political subdivision. The easiest language would be to say that no ordinance, rule, etc., may regulate firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition in any way more strictly than does the General Assembly.

I am aware that this puts a large amount of power in their hands, and this could later be abused. Anyone with realistic suggestions as to how to limit the power of the General Assembly while still allowing them to remove current prohibitions would be welcome.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Indiana General Assembly said:
    IC 35-47-11.1
    Chapter 11.1. Local Regulation of Firearms, Ammunition,
    and Firearm Accessories
    IC 35-47-11.1-1
    Application
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies to a political subdivision (as defined
    in IC 3-5-2-38).
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political
    subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation,
    registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition,
    and firearm accessories.

Aaaaaaand yeah, that, too.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Notably absent from preemption is prohibitions on the discharge of a firearm.

Perhaps next session, the General Assembly can craft language to expand preemption to prohibit local subdivisions from addressing any lawful use of a firearm, which is to say that any use including but not limited to training, target practice ("plinking"), hunting, and self-defense is beyond the scope of any political subdivision. The easiest language would be to say that no ordinance, rule, etc., may regulate firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition in any way more strictly than does the General Assembly.

I am aware that this puts a large amount of power in their hands, and this could later be abused. Anyone with realistic suggestions as to how to limit the power of the General Assembly while still allowing them to remove current prohibitions would be welcome.

Blessings,
    Bill

Aaaaaaand yeah, that, too.

Also notably absent is an exception for regulating the discharge of a firearm. Just ranges.

Top Bottom