• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Anyone have experience or know someone with experience carrying in a wheelchair? An ankle holster seems to be the only option that might work and that eliminates carrying while wearing shorts. The waist is a bad option because of pressure against the skin. Carrying in a pocket of cargo pants/shorts is more difficult from a seated position. Pants/shorts tend to tighten when sitting which increases the potential for printing.

I don't have any immediate plans to carry, but just thought I would pose the question.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Anyone have experience or know someone with experience carrying in a wheelchair? An ankle holster seems to be the only option that might work and that eliminates carrying while wearing shorts. The waist is a bad option because of pressure against the skin. Carrying in a pocket of cargo pants/shorts is more difficult from a seated position. Pants/shorts tend to tighten when sitting which increases the potential for printing.

I don't have any immediate plans to carry, but just thought I would pose the question.

Cardigan and a shoulder rig? No expertise in that category.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think with the right holster, carrying on your waist would be ok. Look at the N82 ( nate squared) line. They have a special backing on the holster that is really soft. You also might want to try appendix carry.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Shoulder rig came to my mind too. Hawaiian shirt though :). Maybe something custom rigged to the inside panel of the armrest if you have that type of w.chair. Maybe crossdraw as well :dunno: The solution for you OP sounds intriguing. Let us know what you come up with!

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I was just curious if anyone had any experience. A shoulder rig might be a viable solution. With my, let's call it "non-slim", build, I just don't think the waist would work. My wheelchair doesn't have arm rests. What little bit of reading I did online about the subject discouraged storing the firearm in something attached to the chair due to the possibility of being separated from it. Someone could easily dump me out of it if approached from behind. Also, there are time when we go out to eat and I transfer into a booth. Definitely wouldn't want it stored on the chair then.

Just thought the topic might make for good discussion.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I wondered if you might be transfering, leaving the firearm with the chair. I don't know if you are male or female but the flashbang brand of holsters came to mind. Even if you are male, they might have an idea/solution. I have seen some body shirts with an integral holster.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    How about a chest rig?

After all you have to have someplace to carry your wallet, lip balm, sunglasses... You may want to make it more civilian looking perhaps by adding some Hello Kitty stickers or other snowflake safe emblems.

kitbags.gif

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think the first question is what is their degree of disability? depending on the location and severity of injury, someone in a wheelchair might not have much--or any--motor control in their torso, which will, of course, limit their choices of carry. Likewise, the higher the injury is on the spine, arm strength will be more affected creating another set of variables

Wheelchair bound people sometimes decide to cover their lower bodies with a blanket (photos of FDR are an example) which would make a "driving holster" a great option for a concealed draw. Shoulder holsters would be good too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If by chance, you're missing a leg, maybe have one made with a holster or some sort of compartment tha is easily accessed. That would be awesome.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You might give this a look. I guess it falls in the category of shoulder holster. It won't give you the fastest draw assuming you conceal under a shirt, but in situations where you must be discreet and still want to carry, it works well even in a sitting position. And its pretty comfortable. I got mine to wear to a wedding when I had to wear a rented tux that otherwise didn't have good carry options. Worked perfect for that carrying a Sig P938.

The Ultra Gen2 Harness - with sewn in place holster and magazine pockets. For men and women. - Deep Conceal

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Lots of good suggestions here. The belly band or shoulder harness would probably work the best. I'll have to research it a little more and shop my options.

Top Bottom