• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    So I've been open carrying for about 4 months. I've been a bit worried over a confrontation in public, but as it turns out it wasn't anything to worry about. I stopped at the Kroger on Ireland in South Bend last night where I picked up two items. I went to the self checkout where I was confronted by the store security guard, a Securitas employee. He insisted that I show him my LTCH. My immediate response was to tell him that he wasn't a LEO and that I didn't need to show it to him, but he replied that he was a security guard and I should show it to him anyway. I decided to show it to him to diffuse the situation and I explained that I open carry because I want to have the fastest draw I can get if I need it. He said something about making sure I was a proper person but it was pretty clear from his demeanor that he was hostile to guns altogether. After he walked away, the self checkout cashier told me that if something ever went down she was hiding behind me! We had a nice conversation. Now, how could I have handled the rent-a-cop better?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Depending on the attitude of Securitas, I might have been tempted to tell him to go pound sand.

Ask the guy, "Would I wear it around where you could see it if I wasn't a proper person? If I had it out and waving it around you could start worrying."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Similar encounter at a Kroger years ago. They just get bored and drunk on what little power they think they have. Got to throw that non-existent weight around.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now, how could I have handled the rent-a-cop better?

"No, thank you!" and continue with checkout, pay, and go home.

If he continues to press, "Okay, you may help me carry my bags, but it would it would be inappropriate for me to tip you."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "No, thank you!" and continue with checkout, pay, and go home.

If he continues to press, "Okay, you may help me carry my bags, but it would it would be inappropriate for me to tip you."

Where is the line about, "is this because you find me attractive because of my dreamy blue eyes?"

Or, is this just something I say?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have truly failed. I tell INGO to shut up around cops and they cannot even shut up around Bart the Mall Cop.

If he is not a cop, smile and don't say jack. Walk away.

If they are real police, stop and do what he says.

It's just that easy.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The one that confronted me went as far as to say, "If I wanted, I could take that from you until the cops arrive."

Then he went on an anti-OC rant.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Warning shot, totally.

And... In before the "that's why I CC."

Oh. Wait. That IS why I CC. :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I've been open carrying for about 4 months. I've been a bit worried over a confrontation in public, but as it turns out it wasn't anything to worry about. I stopped at the Kroger on Ireland in South Bend last night where I picked up two items. I went to the self checkout where I was confronted by the store security guard, a Securitas employee. He insisted that I show him my LTCH. My immediate response was to tell him that he wasn't a LEO and that I didn't need to show it to him, but he replied that he was a security guard and I should show it to him anyway. I decided to show it to him to diffuse the situation and I explained that I open carry because I want to have the fastest draw I can get if I need it. He said something about making sure I was a proper person but it was pretty clear from his demeanor that he was hostile to guns altogether. After he walked away, the self checkout cashier told me that if something ever went down she was hiding behind me! We had a nice conversation. Now, how could I have handled the rent-a-cop better?

With Kroeger's policy discussed so much, ask him why he's willing to risk being fired.

The one that confronted me went as far as to say, "If I wanted, I could take that from you until the cops arrive."

Then he went on an anti-OC rant.

Taking a gun away from someone is how you get shot.
    What happens when you try to grab a police officer's gun.... you get shot (or a VERY strong possibility).

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    He insisted that I show him my LTCH.

You do NOT need to carry your LTCH on your person any longer by LAW. ... though most of us do as a courtesy, etc. (or so I would estimate from typical INGO discussions) ...

Point that out.

Top Bottom