• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So I went to handgun law .us and found out the crazy rules for driving through Illinois but everything seemed kosher for Missouri.

I was calling to set up my hotel room and at the end of the confirmation the girl told me "and per Missouri law no weapons are allowed on the premises. "

I don't see anything about that in their law. Does anybody know anything about this?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two thoughts:

You dont want that hotel because it is in such a bad neighborhood. (remember, typically they make a rule because they have had a problem before*) If they feel complelled to tell everyone about the restriction, there must be a history of weapons/violence problems there.
    You need to find a new hotel, then cancel the original reservation while explaining that policy is the reason.

*EDIT: You also wouldnt stay in a hotel that the booking ended with "Also, we wanted to inform you that there is no pooping in our pool." Anytime they go out of your way to tell you about a specific rule, they obviously have a history of problems with that activity.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Signs bear the weight of the law in MO. My guess is that the hotel has No Weapons Signs posted, so by law it's illegal.

Two points:

1. Force-of-law signage must meet statutory requirements
    2. The only recourse is for the private-property owner to trespass you. The only penalty is failure to leave, *after* the private property owner trespasses you, then calls police, then the police ask you to leave.

Also:

3. IANAL, but generally (it *may* vary state-to-state), your own hotel room is considered your temporary place of residence, meaning that the room essentially becomes *your* private property, not the *hotel's* private property (because you are "leasing" the room from the hotel), for the purposes of determining legality to possess a firearm in said room.

So, sign or no sign, just don't get caught transporting the firearm to your room. Once there, you are (should be) fully in the clear.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    My company is holding a conference there lol. I'm one of the speakers. Its the Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport. Looks like a nice place. What they can't see won't hurt them...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Two points:

2. The only recourse is for the private-property owner to trespass you. The only penalty is failure to leave, *after* the private property owner trespasses you, then calls police, then the police ask you to leave.

Also:

3. IANAL, but generally (it *may* vary state-to-state), your own hotel room is considered your temporary place of residence, meaning that the room essentially becomes *your* private property, not the *hotel's* private property (because you are "leasing" the room from the hotel), for the purposes of determining legality to possess a firearm in said room.

So, sign or no sign, just don't get caught transporting the firearm to your room. Once there, you are (should be) fully in the clear.

Each state is different. I wouldn't count on a slap on the wrist when it comes to your second point. It'd probably be an expensive mistake.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Two points:

Also:

Not advocating anything right or wrong but just an observation from when I was a municiple LEO. While is probably different in Missouri for the sake of your statement let's say we are back in Indiana.

How it can work if the person is a horses butt when the police show up it can become a criminal trespass if you try and refuse the property owners/representative request.

It also depends on local prosecutor discretion. But the police can and have in certian extreme cases forwarded info and reports to the ISP license branch and they can also revoke your LTCH.

Now back to Missouri or other states it could vary either way.

Perhaps a active municipal or state LEO can add additional info.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I don't think it will come to that. I've never been outed and non-carriers are oblivious anyway. They way I read the statute is that it is not a felony, they will just ask you to leave and if you don't you will be fined $100.

Just wondering how I'm going to get the AR in my trunk into the room with nobody noticing haha!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Each state is different. I wouldn't count on a slap on the wrist when it comes to your second point. It'd probably be an expensive mistake.

Speaking as a one-time Missouri resident, I can confirm that the trespass is difficult to get (the police will actually ask you to leave, and only cite you if you still refuse to leave), and intended to be a slap on the wrist. (Missouri is a pretty freedom-loving state.) YMMV in other states, of course.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Speaking as a one-time Missouri resident, I can confirm that the trespass is difficult to get (the police will actually ask you to leave, and only cite you if you still refuse to leave), and intended to be a slap on the wrist. (Missouri is a pretty freedom-loving state.) YMMV in other states, of course.

I'm interested in if states that passed it have a modified stance due to their recently passed constitutional carry laws.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    My company is holding a conference there lol. I'm one of the speakers. Its the Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport. Looks like a nice place. What they can't see won't hurt them...
    Stayed there last summer when the wife took me to STL for a cards game (our 25th anniversay) She booked the room so I never heard the firearm comment. I had my shield with me the, but pretty much left it in the bag. I wasn't impressed with the hotel overall and wouldn't stay there again. There was a convention in town and she couldn't get one downtown.
    Just sayin'..............

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    As for driving through Illinois. Gas up before you cross the state line and as long as you don't get out of the car with your gun on you are gtg i believe.

At a minimum I would have the gun on me when in the room.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    As for driving through Illinois. Gas up before you cross the state line and as long as you don't get out of the car with your gun on you are gtg i believe.

At a minimum I would have the gun on me when in the room.

As Illinoisn is concerned, that is my understanding and plan. What they can't see at the hotel won't hurt them.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    OK about to make my first drive through Illinois armed.

I read handgun law .us again and it seems contradictory to what I've read on here. But I am allowed to carry my firearm on my person if I do not stop in Illinois?

If the police officer stops me I don't have to inform him, but what if he asks?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    You are legal as long as the handgun is concealed and you do not exit the car. If you must exit the vehicle you must store the handgun secured inside the vehicle. This can be as simple as concealing the HG in the console or under the seat, it still must remain concealed. Now the vehicle must be LOCKED or place HG in a lockable case either is fine. You do NOT have to inform unless the officer asks then you must be truthful. I would suggest that if HG is concealed in such a way it could be seen while getting out license or insurance card it would be a good idea to inform even if not asked. You do not want to surprise the officer. Jim.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I don't think it will come to that. I've never been outed and non-carriers are oblivious anyway. They way I read the statute is that it is not a felony, they will just ask you to leave and if you don't you will be fined $100.

Just wondering how I'm going to get the AR in my trunk into the room with nobody noticing haha!

If it is not too late, I suggest getting a hard case for a guitar. I can fit my AR and 870 at the same time in mine. Nobody blinks when you drag a guitar case in and out of the hotel.

Top Bottom