• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    gun is commander size 4.25 barrel 45 acp. 1911 configuration.
    in question ...... does holster need thumb break strap ? or for the folks that carry this same gun type , what is your opinion ? is the snap on the strap a major drawback in impeding the draw ? if you you do carry either open top type holster or thumb break what are your reasons for your choice with retention being an obvious reason . gun will be carried in the 3 o'clock position . apprx .halfway between front & hip , being closer to the hip rather than the front .
    looking at holsters & gear from kirkpatrick leather in texas . like their work & simplicity in holster making .

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    in question ...... does holster need thumb break strap ? or for the folks that carry this same gun type , what is your opinion ? is the snap on the strap a major drawback in impeding the draw ? if you you do carry either open top type holster or thumb break what are your reasons for your choice with retention being an obvious reason . gun will be carried in the 3 o'clock position . apprx .halfway between front & hip , being closer to the hip rather than the front .
    looking at holsters & gear from kirkpatrick leather in texas . like their work & simplicity in holster making .

It all comes down to personal preference. My duty holster has a retention hood on it, none of my off-duty holsters do. I don't open carry so I don't worry about retention. If you are concerned about it, buy a holster that meets your needs and works for you. Just make sure you practice with whatever you go with so that you don't fumble with it if the time ever comes where you need to get the gun out quickly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thumb snaps are old technology that don't serve much purpose anymore. They just get in the way. If you want an active retention mechanism in your holster, get a Safariland ALS.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    I carry a Beretta 92fs which is even a little larger than your 1911. What works for me is IWB leather holster molded for the gun, no thumb break and a sturdy leather belt clinched tight. The gun is secure, I'm sure I could do a handstand and it wouldn't fall out. With a large gun IWB I like a holster with only one belt clip so I can easily adjust when sitting.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

For me I have three Galco Cop series holsters. For a 92G, SR9C, and Gov and Commander Size 1911's. The holster provides excellent retention. The Thumb break is not an issue as I have trained with it and use the same model holster exclusively. I do not open carry very often, so for the most part the retention strap is just a feature of a holster that works really well for me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use a Galco Concealable ( No Strap) for my Sig's.
    I use a Galco C.O.P (strap) for my 1911's. I use this holster for one reason only and I'm probably paranoid about it. The strap goes between the hammer and the slide, Carrying the gun cocked and locked freaked me out at first, Seamed like an added "safety feature" to me at the time.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I carry Glocks, but my personal preference for all my holsters which aren`t IWB, is, I require a retention strap. That`s just my preference.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For concealed carry, I see no need for a retention strap. I cannot consistently defeat one at the speed I can draw from an open top holster, even if the thumb break is open carry.

The old style strap UNDER the hammer give an extra layer of safety should the hammer fall accidentally, but modern firearms make that real tough to do. Even a very heavy blow to the hammer will not make it "slip", and at least some guns also have a firing pin lock even if the hammer was damaged and fell without the trigger being pulled.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    It's all preference. Some people feel "safer" with some sort of retention device. A good holster should have proper retention in and of itself. If you're like most people you'll end up with a box of them before you find "the one."

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    all advice appreciated . i boo-boobed and should have told all that my main concern was looking at holsters with the retention strap that goes UNDER the hammer and shields the firing pin when carrying cocked and locked . i would , could carry the gun either way and feel in the safe zone . but wanted to hear who carries either way , and their sense-ability as to why their choice was made . yes i will do some practice work before carrying in the chosen way .

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was talking to Rob at Tucker Gun Leather about this very subject as I was considering getting a holster for my 1911. When I asked him about the retention strap he said that he makes very few holsters with the strap.

His recommendation to me was to get the sweat shield with no strap.

BTW, I carry concealed.

Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    My carry pistol is a Kimber Carry Pro which is a four inch barrel 1911. For concealment I prefer a good leather outside the waistband holster. I have a Galco combat master. No need for a strap for a concealment holster.
    :ar15::ar15:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My carry pistol is a Kimber Carry Pro which is a four inch barrel 1911. For concealment I prefer a good leather outside the waistband holster. I have a Galco combat master. No need for a strap for a concealment holster.
    :ar15::ar15:

This is me. I have a nice ETW for my Shield. I carry the Shield a lot more than I did when I was using an IWB Nate2 holster. I know people talk often about how carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting and not necessarily comfortable. My experience is that I will carry it much more if it's not stabbing me in the side all day.

I also have the Tucker for my 586. I could wear that more comfortably than I could my Shield in the IWB holster.

Disclaimer: I have like 10-15% bodyfat.:)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In my opinion (FYI, it isn't worth much), active retention is necessary for open carry. I don't see an advantage to it for concealed carry.

For what it's worth, I carry a Beretta M9A1 in a kydex holster AIWB.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I've been pocket carrying a SCCY cpx2 lately with a kydex trigger holster on a pull cord to my belt loop.
    I tried the SmartCarry, and it does conceal great, but I'm not as comfortable holstering.

'Carefully slide your chambered handgun into the flexible pocket next to your twig-n-berries' vs 'Attach the trigger holster while maintaining proper muzzle control, then place the Holstered firearm in an otherwise empty pocket.

Sure, it prints a bit, but not enough to alarm a Hippy.

Top Bottom