• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Can I take my gun, take it apart, store it in a locked case and keep it inside someone's house while I am there?

I know the rules when it comes to car carry, storing in a car but what if I'm staying over at someone's home in Chicago? Am I allowed to take my gun (encased) into someone's house (with their permission) and keep it inside while I am staying over? Do I need to dissemble it? What are the laws regarding that?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As long as you have their permission (the property owner) you can have it loaded and ready to go. No need to disassemble it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I am zero help, I just came to leave this here...

[video=youtube;-ukFAvYP3UU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can I take my gun, take it apart, store it in a locked case and keep it inside someone's house while I am there?

I know the rules when it comes to car carry, storing in a car but what if I'm staying over at someone's home in Chicago? Am I allowed to take my gun (encased) into someone's house (with their permission) and keep it inside while I am staying over? Do I need to dissemble it? What are the laws regarding that?

Where is this "taking the gun apart" thing coming from? I must get a dozen calls a week on "taking guns apart". It's still a gun.

Threshold question=>Is the bailee legal to possess a firearm under federal and state law?

Answer this question and you have your answer.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    It's like when I stayed in a hotel in Southern Illinois a few months ago. The firearm was legal in the car. It was legal in the hotel room. Getting it from the car to inside the hotel room was the grey area.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Don't visit Chicago.

I wish I could do that, but it's my parent's house and they don't have FOID cards if it is needed for me to keep it in their house with me present

Anybody have suggestions to look up any law pertaining to this?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wish I could do that, but it's my parent's house and they don't have FOID cards if it is needed for me to keep it in their house with me present

Anybody have suggestions to look up any law pertaining to this?

You want to look up the ILCS? Ok, but it will only make you mad. It's 430 ILCS 65.

Ok, I have to ask. Why aren't you simply leaving the gun in your car, why all the cloak and dagger nonsense?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok, I have to ask. Why aren't you simply leaving the gun in your car, why all the cloak and dagger nonsense?

While I can't speak for the OP, I can see why one would want to remain armed as much as legally possible, including in and around the property where one is staying. Especially if that's where one were planning to spend a majority of their time during the visit.

Obviously a gun locked in a vehicle doesn't do much good in the event of a home invasion.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    I'm not going to say you should break the law, but the laws in question aren't there to keep you or your parents safe. Consider whether your bigger threat is home invasion or home invasion via police.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you are visiting your parents and they are ok with the gun being loaded while in their house what circumstances do you think could happen that would cause you to have a confrontation with the law?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Something something...

Dark, side.

hqdefault.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are visiting your parents and they are ok with the gun being loaded while in their house what circumstances do you think could happen that would cause you to have a confrontation with the law?

A fact pattern that would cause the law to show up to the house and find the gun without finding a FOID. E.g., a fire.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Looked over the ILCS and can't seemed to find anything on if I am staying over at a place in IL and is it legal to have my gun with me in a residence.

All I see is A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case

and nothing I've said suggests "cloak and dagger stuff". If I was, I wouldn't be asking here

Top Bottom