• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I looked for the thread where this was brought up but I couldn't find it...

Flew to Florida on Allegiant. All went smooth as always checking in with my side arm and getting it off the baggage claim carousel when I landed.

Returned on Delta through Atlanta to South Bend and sure enough, they zip tied the **** out of my bag with my gun. No mention was made of any of this at check in. They did not place it on the carousel, either. Had to go to the ticket counter (South Bend doesn't have a baggage office) to see what happened to my bag. I got a bit of a run around because they said they put it on the carousel. They didn't.

After a few minutes a guy shows up with it.
    IMG_2061.jpg

I immediately asked for scissors and began removing the zip ties. A concerned Delta ticket counter gal told me I couldn't do that on the premises. I asked her when Delta made that rule up (knowing it was their rule and expecting the zip ties) and she said it was the TSA. I began to remove the 2nd zip tie and she said she would call TSA if I didn't stop. I stopped and told her to call them right away and I would be happy to wait.

Having her bluff called, she asked for the scissors back. So I dug my nail clippers out of my carry on and finished the job "on the premises".

I'm sure Delta's new policy has saved countless lives. Idiocy usually does.

I wonder how long until we hear of someone accosted or worse in an airport parking lot because they couldn't arm up after they land. I hope Delta gets sued for it.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Having the gun kept in its own padlocked hard box generally solves that kind of problem. Can't ziptie a mortar case.

Out of curiosity, did they put any other kind of marker on the bag to indicate that it had a firearm in it, or was anything other than regular baggage?

Come to think of it, I could see a compelling case being made for them unduly seizing your property by putting another kind of lock on it (the zipties) that you can't open.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I find this interesting. On my last flight to Vegas TSA cut my TSA approved locks off of my luggage.

Go figure...

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    I find this interesting. On my last flight to Vegas TSA cut my TSA approved locks off of my luggage.

Go figure...
    Never use the TSA locks, they are trash and all work off of a common bitting. When flying with guns, use a proper high-end padlock from Abus, Abloy, etc. as is your right.

Everyone who flies with guns needs to watch this video:
    [video=youtube;KfqtYfaILHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw[/video]

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Never use the TSA locks, they are trash and all work off of a common bitting. When flying with guns, use a proper high-end padlock from Abus, Abloy, etc. as is your right.

Everyone who flies with guns needs to watch this video:
    [video=youtube;KfqtYfaILHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw[/video]

I was talking about on my luggage.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I was talking about on my luggage.

So was he. If I remember correctly, if a lock is labeled as a "TSA lock" there are only so many different keys so the TSA can unlock them. I personally do not buy luggage locks and instead buy a set of 2-4 common small padlocks.

[h=1]http://www.techlicious.com/blog/why-tsa-approved-luggage-locks-are-useless/[/h]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Gee Mr. Obvious, I flew back on Delta, I checked my bag containing a properly packaged declared firearm to them, they DELTA had me sign a unloaded firearm(s) declaration form, they Delta then tagged my bag and put it on a belt to go to the checked baggage inspection area........................My bag arrived ZIP TIED.

Delta didn't do it, whoever inspected your bag thought it needed to be further secured and zip tied the closures in lieu of a locking system for you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would suggest it was done to prevent theft, not as some safety measure. If the outer bag isn't secured, it's pretty easy for someone to dip into your luggage and take the lock box. Internal theft is always on any company's mind, and baggage handlers have a lot of opportunities to rummage an unlocked bag if they are unethical.

When I fly with a gun, which is admittedly rare as I tend to drive unless I'm flying abroad, I use the following:
    1) Pad lock-locked Pelican case, cable locked to the interior frame of the suitcase for the pistol. Pistol is broken down into slide and frame, each in their own compartment in the foam.
    2) A second, smaller, lock box cable for the ammunition and magazines, also cable locked to the frame.
    3) TSA combination lock on the outer bag.

I've had no issue with United or American Airlines.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Having the gun kept in its own padlocked hard box generally solves that kind of problem. Can't ziptie a mortar case.

Out of curiosity, did they put any other kind of marker on the bag to indicate that it had a firearm in it, or was anything other than regular baggage?

Come to think of it, I could see a compelling case being made for them unduly seizing your property by putting another kind of lock on it (the zipties) that you can't open.

There was a special tag labeled CAGPT Do Not Place On Carousel. (Circled on the left of the picture).

IMG_2061.jpg

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Gee Mr. Obvious, I flew back on Delta, I checked my bag containing a properly packaged declared firearm to them, they DELTA had me sign a unloaded firearm(s) declaration form, they Delta then tagged my bag and put it on a belt to go to the checked baggage inspection area........................My bag arrived ZIP TIED.

Delta didn't do it, whoever inspected your bag thought it needed to be further secured and zip tied the closures in lieu of a locking system for you.

Delta has instituted this new policy since the nut job shot up the baggage claim a few weeks ago. There is another thread that detailed others having the same experience with the same airline. They zip tie it and they make you come and find it at your destination. Check in procedure is the same as always but they don't tell you ahead of time about the zip ties and the "find my bag" stunt at the destination.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry LockStock, my bad, I didn't know that, I" assumed" it was the (TSA) checked baggage personnel that did it , since they also had access to your bag and plenty of Zip ties, I can now see how toenail clippers will definitely be part of my carry on !

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I've given up on flying - too much hassle these days. If I can't drive there, I'm not going. If more people stop flying they might notice it on their bottom line...or not. Either way, I'm done with it all.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've given up on flying - too much hassle these days. If I can't drive there, I'm not going. If more people stop flying they might notice it on their bottom line...or not. Either way, I'm done with it all.

Amen. I've never flown without a folder with just under a 4 inch blade (which tells you I haven't flown since before 2001). Getting on a commercial plane is too restrictive. Plus, I don't fit in the bathroom and I can't go that long without relieving myself, so flying isn't even something I consider anymore.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    NRA catches up to the change and says more airlines doing it...I see an uptick in stolen guns when flying. Dumbasses!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0517

How would requiring you to show an ID at the office to get your bag result in more theft than sending it on the carousel? It's treated like luggage that missed it's connection, a tag that says to take it to the office instead of put it on the carousel, you go to the office and show your ID and pick it up.

I did it with American last time I flew and found it much less nerve racking that knowing my gun was up for grabs for anyone who wanted to snatch my suitcase before I saw it.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    How would requiring you to show an ID at the office to get your bag result in more theft than sending it on the carousel? It's treated like luggage that missed it's connection, a tag that says to take it to the office instead of put it on the carousel, you go to the office and show your ID and pick it up.

I did it with American last time I flew and found it much less nerve racking that knowing my gun was up for grabs for anyone who wanted to snatch my suitcase before I saw it.

I'm not talking about theft by other flyers.

Baggage handlers my man, baggage handlers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not talking about theft by other flyers.

Baggage handlers my man, baggage handlers.

Pretty tough for a baggage handler to steal an entire suitcase unobserved unless it's a group effort. The tag is the same as a tag for a bag that missed a connection flight, or at least it was for American, nothing says "gun inside". Yes, someone could dip into your bag, but like I said earlier I use a cable lock box that secures to the frame of my suitcase, so they'd have to open the TSA lock and then defeat either the cable, destroy the frame of the suitcase, or defeat the lock box....which goes back to my point that the zip ties are probably more of an anti-theft measure than a security measure.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Suitcase get opened and things get stolen from them by baggage handlers more often than you think. It isn't at all rare. YMMV.

Sounds like a good reason to zip tie the bag shut, then, or use a suitcase with a frame and cable lock the lockbox containing the gun to the frame of the suitcase... :dunno:

Top Bottom