• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Use the same assessment for any other kind of insurance: premium cost v. risk of needing it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I went looking for a comparison to USCCA and one of the big differences is that the NRA paid after the fact instead of upfront. This site has a comparison chart and they aren't tied to either (supposedly): https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/shield-carry-guard-two-different-programs-compared/

Ive also heard that USCCA recently changed their policies to also reimburse you instead of paying up front on your behalf. I havent seen anything concrete from them, just a member who mentioned this on another site when the NRA made their announcement and people started comparing the two. (and others)

IMHO if I had the money to defend myself, I wouldnt need their insurance. The whole point of these policies is to keep from bankrupting you. At this point, if I have to be reimbursed, I still need to have cash on hand for a retainer, whats the point of paying into these plans if I still have to pay out of pocket? I guess to keep from being screwed for the rest of my life? Doesnt exactly make me want to rush out and pay them, that's for sure.

But NRA's stance is interesting. It gives them an out to not have to pay you and keep your premiums as a windfall. "Sorry, you were a jackwagon and got convicted, no money for you!"

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I received an email offer today from the NRA for their new "Carry Guard" insurance.
    I would really like some professional opinions about this program.
    Specifically, worth the price, or not?
    www.nracarryguard.com
    This isn't the professional opinion you asked for but FWIW, I've got coverage through USCCA. The NRA program got my attention but I decided to stick with USCCA for several reasons

1)they've been at this for about a decade and have an experienced, dedicated purpose, response team. The NRA is trying to reinvent their wheel.

2)USCCA already has an established network of pro 2A attorneys (ie Guy Relford in central IN) while the NRA is working on building theirs

3)The NRA's training program--which seems superior--isn't included in the cost.

4)Cost of insurance is similar and the coverage seemed similar. Except that the NRA's program only pays 20% up front--thanks IndyTom for posting the link comparing the two programs.

I'm sure the NRA will eventually change and improve their program in order to be competitive with USCCA. Just guessing, but the 20% up front/80% after aquittal, difference probably came from Lockton. The NRA seems to offer all their other liability and theft insurance through them so they might have to get a different insurance company in order to make that change.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You mean other than car insurance and health insurance, right? We're not allowed to make those decisions.

Well, with the former, we can still choose, but the risk side of the equation is dramatically and artificially elevated.

The latter.... I'm not sure where the pre-existing condition angle is at the moment, so that might not be a big deal, either. ;)

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Is the NRA Carry Guard even needed in Indiana? Isn't it written into state law that a person who uses self-defense is protected from civil lawsuits?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This isn't the professional opinion you asked for but FWIW, I've got coverage through USCCA. The NRA program got my attention but I decided to stick with USCCA for several reasons

1)they've been at this for about a decade and have an experienced, dedicated purpose, response team. The NRA is trying to reinvent their wheel.

2)USCCA already has an established network of pro 2A attorneys (ie Guy Relford in central IN) while the NRA is working on building theirs

3)The NRA's training program--which seems superior--isn't included in the cost.

4)Cost of insurance is similar and the coverage seemed similar. Except that the NRA's program only pays 20% up front--thanks IndyTom for posting the link comparing the two programs.

I'm sure the NRA will eventually change and improve their program in order to be competitive with USCCA. Just guessing, but the 20% up front/80% after aquittal, difference probably came from Lockton. The NRA seems to offer all their other liability and theft insurance through them so they might have to get a different insurance company in order to make that change.

2nd call defense is also backed by Lockton. My understanding is that insurance can not be paid out for a self defense shooting since it is a willful act. So there is a pot of money to pay the upfront costs of a legal defense and then after acquittal the insurance will reimburse the fund. That is for 2nd call defense, which I currently have a membership. I assume Carry Guard will be similar but I have yet to really see the details.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    2nd call defense is also backed by Lockton. My understanding is that insurance can not be paid out for a self defense shooting since it is a willful act. So there is a pot of money to pay the upfront costs of a legal defense and then after acquittal the insurance will reimburse the fund. That is for 2nd call defense, which I currently have a membership. I assume Carry Guard will be similar but I have yet to really see the details.
    Thanks for clarifying the 'up front payment' issue. What are the differences between 'carry guard' and '2nd call'? I can see the NRA wanting to mimic USCCA's business model but why do that if they already have similar insurance?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for clarifying the 'up front payment' issue. What are the differences between 'carry guard' and '2nd call'? I can see the NRA wanting to mimic USCCA's business model but why do that if they already have similar insurance?

I don't know. :dunno:

2nd call was a business alliance partner. NRA promoted it in their student packets. The founder of 2nd call is on the board of directors. But they were uninvited to the annual meeting. Unlike USCCA they have been quite. I don't know what is up but as of right now doesn't appear to be the same.

I am waiting to get more info.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    When I started looking at the differences (a little over a year ago) I found that 2nd Call (similar to what I'm seeing from Carry Guard) only covers use of firearms, but CCW Safe and USCCA both cover use of any tool in defense of life... After talking to a USCCA rep at the 2016 NRAAM in L'ville, I decided to go with them for both my wife and myself. Payment is due within the next few days and I'll check to see if the "Buy One, Get 50% Off 2nd" is still in effect.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yikes, those seem pretty spendy. :spend::spend::spend::spend:
    Wonder if Flo's working on a better plan?

200.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was hoping some of our much beloved INGO professionals would provide some detailed commentary. They have often been extremely helpful on other legal issues. :ingo:

Top Bottom