• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    He's 18 and did the application process. Just waiting for his ltch to come in the mail. He wants me to buy him a handgun at the upcoming 1500 or I'll talk him into visiting PSS. I know he can own a handgun, he just can't buy one. I'm curious as to my liability by buying for him.

Thanks, Matt

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If he's a "proper person" which he should be if he got his LTCH you can gift him a gun.
    At 18 he can buy a long gun from a FFL, not a handgun.
    He can also buy a gun (long gun or handgun) from a private person.

I'm not a lawyer though but that's my understanding.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Yes lawyers. For high school graduation I bought my son a gun . He picked it out and I filled the paperwork out and paid for it. Midwest didn't even blink an eye.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Would you be my Grandpa? I like jeeps and guns. But seriously your idea with the 1911's sounds good, he get's a great gun and you can get yourself an even better one.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Would you be my Grandpa? I like jeeps and guns. But seriously your idea with the 1911's sounds good, he get's a great gun and you can get yourself an even better one.

The reality is I'll be buying him a gun with his money, but if I can convince him my R1 1911 is the way to go, he can buy my old blued R1 and I'll get the Stainless R1 I want. Unfortunately, he'll probably want a Glock 22 or 23. He's shot mine a lot and likes the Glock and the .40 cal.

Matt

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    The reality is I'll be buying him a gun with his money,

This is where you get into trouble as a strawman buyer. If it is HIS money, then YOU are not really the buyer of the gun and you lied on the forms. You can buy and gift him a gun, but it must be a pure gift for it to pass the ATF rules.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

This is where you get into trouble as a strawman buyer. If it is HIS money, then YOU are not really the buyer of the gun and you lied on the forms. You can buy and gift him a gun, but it must be a pure gift for it to pass the ATF rules.

Is it still a straw purchase if he's buying the gun for someone who's a proper person and who could pass a background check? :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

THIS.

Plus, you're buying it for a person that can't legally buy it from a dealer himself.
    Is it still a straw purchase if he's buying the gun for someone who's a proper person and who could pass a background check? :dunno:
    The SC has ruled it still applies to relatives and Glocks, even if they're a proper person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, he'll probably want a Glock 22 or 23. He's shot mine a lot and likes the Glock and the .40 cal.

Matt

This is the legally dangerous point. If you buy on his behalf and he is paying for it, it is an illegal straw purchase. You can give but not serve as a proxy buyer. It is also significant that this only applies to federally licensed dealers. He can buy a gun from you, or from me for that matter, and it is perfectly legal since the federal restriction is on the dealer, not the buyer, unless, of course you fraudulently fill out a 4473 declaring yourself as the actual buyer.

Deletion of the above-quoted post is highly recommended.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Absolutely. The legal problem isn't the properness of end recipient, it is the fact that you are filling out a federal form and making a false declaration, much like lying to the police rather than simply choosing to remain silent. Strangely enough, the courts have ruled that lying on a 4473 about being an improper person (like a felon, for example) cannot be prosecuted as it is tantamount to forced self-incrimination, but the rest of us don't get any such protection.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The way I understand it, it is. Someone I know is a proper person, but they frequently get put on hold when submitting the form, and have to wait to pick up the gun. We were at a shop a couple of hours from home, and it happened. I asked if i could buy it instead, and was told no, that it would be a straw purchase. Kinda sucked, and the gun ended up being purchased somewhere closer to home, rather than drive back in a few days. Not saying that the rule is bad, it's just unfortunate the way it works out sometimes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You'd think there'd be some Glocks in the classifieds or walking around at the 1500, probably easy enough to find one from a non-dealer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The way I understand it, it is. Someone I know is a proper person, but they frequently get put on hold when submitting the form, and have to wait to pick up the gun. We were at a shop a couple of hours from home, and it happened. I asked if i could buy it instead, and was told no, that it would be a straw purchase. Kinda sucked, and the gun ended up being purchased somewhere closer to home, rather than drive back in a few days. Not saying that the rule is bad, it's just unfortunate the way it works out sometimes.

Well in this case the rule is clearly bad when you're 18, allowed to own a gun, allowed by your state to carry it but not allowed by the federal government to buy it in a gun store.

That's just like being issued a driver's licence but not being allowed to buy a car from your local dealership. :dunno:

Maybe until he's 21 he could just buy a long gun and carry it around as a form of protest.

Top Bottom