• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I'm sure this is a never-ending topic...

I have been carrying for 2.5 years now. Always IWB. Glock 19 in an Alien Gear Cloak. I have a Bigfoot Gunbelts belt (steel lined). Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable for me. I like to carry about 3 o'clock, but my holster always slides around back to about 5 o'clock. This could all be my build and physique, but I'm not a fan.

This has gotten me to consider a shoulder carry system. Possibly a Galco Classic Lite. Can you all share your experiences with similar issues/solutions? Also, has anyone had bad or good experiences with the Galco holster I mentioned?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Holsters seem like there is always something better. Most of us have a box or drawer containing ones we didn't like or found something better. I guess it's part if being a gun owner.

A couple of suggestions. If your rig is sliding back; tour belt may not be tight enough. Also, try putting the gun on at the 4 o'clock position. That way it's not riding on your hip bone.

Try some more holsters. There's a bunch of good company's out there. I found I like the Galco KingTuc. Crossbreed makes good stuff too.

One good thing about having a G19 is if you don't like a holster, you can sell it for a little less than you paid for it. There are a lot of G19 owners out there and that number is always growing.

Keep on trying different things. Try different belt clips. Maybe a J-hook will work better. Maybe the leather snap straps. Also, make sure the clips are sized to match your belt. Don't wear a 1 1/4" belt with clips/slots that are 1 1/2".

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Thanks for the suggestions. Aliengear seemed like a great option. Excellent warranty, free shell swaps for life, different clip options, good reviews, etc... I've tried OWB a bit too, but I don't like how the gun flops around. I know my belt isn't too loose. It could be that the clips "pivot", and are not locked to a certain angle.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    For me, it all depends on where the belt loops are. If they are in the right position I can get away with a single attachment point where it won't allow it to slide back.
    For example:
    1)belt loop at about 4:00, with the single clip over the trigger guard area, very comfortable.
    2)Same set-up with single clip in the slide are, doesn't work for me.
    3)Double straps with the belt loop at 3-4 all good as they straddle the loop. Think Milt Sparks Summer Special.

Ideal set up for me would be a Milt Sparks in kydex with J-hooks. The hooks help as I need to be able to get it on and off numerous times a day and the kydex won't break down like leather. I don't real care for the new style of hybrids etc as they take up WAY too much space with the backing material. Looking to maybe get a G-code in the future.
    Right now I've been carrying my G19 or G42 in a Clinger for about a year or so and they work pretty well for my needs.
    :twocents:

Bob

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    Have you considered appendix carry. Not sure on your build, but I've found that most folks I know (even those with guts) can comfortable conceal there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I could not get used to carrying IWB. No matter what I tried, it was too uncomfortable. And I carry a Shield. So I switched to OWB. I have an ETW OWB for my Shield and it feels great! Since I almost always wear my shirts untucked, there is no issue concealing it either. Made a world of difference for me.

I also have a Tucker Gun Leather holster for my S&W 586 and it fits so snug and nice I have considered carrying that instead of my Shield.

A good belt is important, but good holster design can make the difference between one fitting well and one not so much.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Alien gear suggests a position of about 4oclock for their holsters. Being left handed mine rides about 7ish. I'm not sure how much luck you will have carrying anything IWB at 3 o clock.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have two Miami classics. One in smith 66 and one in 1911. Great for fall winter and some of spring. Great to wear while driving. The driving part was the main reason I tried them to begin with. Shoulder holsters are not for everyone.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I'm sure this is a never-ending topic...

I have been carrying for 2.5 years now. Always IWB. Glock 19 in an Alien Gear Cloak. I have a Bigfoot Gunbelts belt (steel lined). Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable for me. I like to carry about 3 o'clock, but my holster always slides around back to about 5 o'clock. This could all be my build and physique, but I'm not a fan.

This has gotten me to consider a shoulder carry system. Possibly a Galco Classic Lite. Can you all share your experiences with similar issues/solutions? Also, has anyone had bad or good experiences with the Galco holster I mentioned?
    I have been carrying since 1988, and have tried every conceivable way to carry. I now carry only two ways, depending upon the pistol being carried that day, and they are OWB or pocket.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My main issues with a shoulder holster are that it is hard to draw and holster the gun without pointing it at things I do not want to poke holes in, how hard they are to draw from without anyone noticing the draw and, how easy it is to stuff a draw from a shoulder holster if you're entangled.

I think that shoulder holsters are cool for using while you are riding around in vehicles, but they don't strike me as being real practical for fighting. If I were a cab driver, I think a shoulder holster would be a great idea. If you want it, try it.

Good Luck!

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I say I carry 3 o'clock, but that is only because it is inevitable that its slides back. If I could carry in a place for it to STAY, it'd be 4 o'clock. I appreciate the suggestions on holsters that everyone uses. Like I said, there are a bazillion options out there. I guess I'm just looking for feedback on if my issue is a HOLSTER issue (my build is 5'11'', 175lbs)? I can find a different one to try, but I hate the "buy and try to see if it works" thing.. Just afraid I'd run into this again. I like to research great products and do my homework to make an educated purchase, which I thought I did, rather than start "shooting from the hip" (pun intended?) and buying a bunch of junk stuff. This is why I'm curious to see if a shoulder rig would work for an edc setup. I understand its subjective, but wondering everyones experience.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    In theory Alien gear is great what with the low price, shell exchange program, cool black sticker they throw in...but when it comes to ultimate comfort and holster stability the Alien gear can't touch Crossbreed or even the Galco KingTuck. I've tried the early and the updated versions of aliengear. I can also recommend the Milt Sparks style (I have a TT gunleather). I do feel that comfort is very important for your EDC because that's what you'll appreciate after those long, hot days, etc

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

1) Which Rev of the Cloak are you using? Some have more traction to keep from rotating around the waist line.

2) Are you utilizing the "tuckable" feature? Several other IWB options utilize a better grip / traction / clip to keep a holstered firearm in place.

3) Do you also carry a spare mag? Ever think about combining the two into one holster?

4) With your basic stats (5'11" @ 175) have you considered AIWB? Several AIWB holsters can also be utilized at other carry positions.

5) How tight is your belt that it allows your holster to move? Maybe other options (that aren't utilizing spring steel) would allow a better fit?

6) Are you wearing an undershirt, too? I've found bare flesh to be harsh against most of the IWB holsters that stay in place, but I've also modified a few that I've liked to work better against bare flesh / undershirts to keep them from floating around the waist line.

I'd be happy to discuss via txt / PM if you'd prefer...

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Consider that the pants you are wearing is too tight for IWB and that could be why and also you might be tightening your belt too tight.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    1) Which Rev of the Cloak are you using? Some have more traction to keep from rotating around the waist line. 3.0

2) Are you utilizing the "tuckable" feature? Several other IWB options utilize a better grip / traction / clip to keep a holstered firearm in place.

3) Do you also carry a spare mag? Ever think about combining the two into one holster? Off-body mag

4) With your basic stats (5'11" @ 175) have you considered AIWB? Several AIWB holsters can also be utilized at other carry positions. Condsidered it, but never tried a aiwa holster

5) How tight is your belt that it allows your holster to move? Maybe other options (that aren't utilizing spring steel) would allow a better fit? Any tighter, and it would be too uncomfortable to consider wearing

6) Are you wearing an undershirt, too? I've found bare flesh to be harsh against most of the IWB holsters that stay in place, but I've also modified a few that I've liked to work better against bare flesh / undershirts to keep them from floating around the waist line. Yes undershirt, but always untucked, my undergarments usually provide a barrier against skin

I'd be happy to discuss via txt / PM if you'd prefer...
    Typically, I wear a size 34 waist pant, but when carrying, I wear a 36 to allow more room.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I could not get used to carrying IWB. No matter what I tried, it was too uncomfortable. And I carry a Shield. So I switched to OWB. I have an ETW OWB for my Shield and it feels great! Since I almost always wear my shirts untucked, there is no issue concealing it either. Made a world of difference for me.

I also have a Tucker Gun Leather holster for my S&W 586 and it fits so snug and nice I have considered carrying that instead of my Shield.

A good belt is important, but good holster design can make the difference between one fitting well and one not so much.

I second this. I carry OWB all the time and it's very comfortable. I carry anywhere from ~2 or 2:30 to 4:00. My Shield is my summer carry and at 4:00 OWB it is very comfortable. In cooler weather, with a cover garment, I carry a full size gun in a leather OWB holster around 2:30. For my Shield I'm using a BladeTech Total Eclipse and the leather holsters I've used that I've liked are the Galco Combat Master for a 1911 and a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my P226. I have three friends who prefer to carry IWB only. Two love their Milt Sparks and the other uses a kydex shell with no leather backing. Unfortunately, you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    1) Identify where you want your holster.
    2) Sew on an additional belt loop to prevent it from sliding back.
    3) Problem solved.

Top Bottom