• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I lost my gun in a tragic boating accident.... no... really...

So on Wednesday night my girlfriend had the bright idea to to kayaking. About 15 min into our "adventure " i flip mine, cell phone, keys, wallet, firearm... everything on me, right after going in i feel my firearm in its holster hit my armpit. I grab it and put it in her kayak and she flips. Firearm goes down!!

Now i have to pay someone to go down and grab it from the bottom tommorow. If they cant find it the fire department is going in to look for it next month for "training"

Its gonna be interesting

Lesson of the day
    A: dont have an $800 firearm on if you might go in
    B: clips on holsters suck... thanks james Yeager

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ouch, a raven, jennings,bryco or lorcin I wouldn't cry over, a Highpoint would have been the boats anchor but whatever you got wet at $800 duckies, must have been a nice one.

Did it have a big orange boat key float attached to it to help a diver spot it?

My youngest back in my Army days dropped my GI Issue red lens flashlight off the boat dock on American Lake on FT Lewis.

Funny thing is when it hit the bottom of the lake the light came on and I had to strip down to my skivvies and dive in pretty deep to get it.

If I dunktanked one of my Glocks I would be waking up pretty pissed at myself this morning, I hope you get it back soon.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sounds like a good excuse for SCUBA lessons. Or for me an excuse to break out my tanks and gear...

Good luck with the recovery. If it's black water it will be very difficult. I've done some of that diving before and it's no fun, sort of like sky diving on instruments (can't see where I am, can't see where I'm going...and pull the cord now...wonder where I am).

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    It was a
    - smith and wesson m&p 9 full size
    - tlr1 hl
    -apex trigger
    - Trijicon night sights
    - Raven concealment in the waistband holster

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    He is pretty confident that he can find it, if not he doesnt get paid, then the fire department comes out to play with their toys

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sounds like a good excuse for SCUBA lessons. Or for me an excuse to break out my tanks and gear...

Good luck with the recovery. If it's black water it will be very difficult. I've done some of that diving before and it's no fun, sort of like sky diving on instruments (can't see where I am, can't see where I'm going...and pull the cord now...wonder where I am).

We went into 15 feet of water on a bright sunny day looking for some prescription sunglasses that had been knocked off the boat. We managed to drop a buoy almost immediately when the glasses went over so figured easy peasy. The visibility sucked so bad that I didn't realize I was on the bottom until I had to wipe the mud off my mask!:laugh: I just knelt there for a moment laughing and headed back to the surface to call the insurance company.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    We went into 15 feet of water on a bright sunny day looking for some prescription sunglasses that had been knocked off the boat. We managed to drop a buoy almost immediately when the glasses went over so figured easy peasy. The visibility sucked so bad that I didn't realize I was on the bottom until I had to wipe the mud off my mask!:laugh: I just knelt there for a moment laughing and headed back to the surface to call the insurance company.

Worst case scenario: what a month for the FD to come out and play, was informed they would treat it as training and use a metal detector

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Worst case scenario: what a month for the FD to come out and play, was informed they would treat it as training and use a metal detector

Excellent!

They love training exercises, one of my coworkers parked one of our company vehicles in one of our retention ponds one morning, we called the FD and let them know what had happened. Once they were convinced nobody was in danger they worked it for several hours. At one point we had 18 emergency vehicles on site. Pretty cool watching the progress.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Im just wondering what it will look like in a month underwater.

My girlfriend is offering to pay half on a 2.0 :)

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    After 2 hours of looking, i called off the search. Boaters wernt paying attention and it was getting dangerous. He was very thorough and although we did not find it i was happy with his effort. He did not ask to be paid but he received partial payment

If this ever happens to anyone else i highly recommend

Indy Mph Watersports
    9520 Uptown Dr Ste AIndianapolis, IN 46256
    (317) 842-1988

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Im just wondering what it will look like in a month underwater.

Several years ago I read articles where two different people purposefully torture tested Glocks. One test involved salt water submersion. It was hidden in a reef. Forget how long it was left. When recovered there was no obvious damage and it functioned fine. It was decided to extend the test and the second time was double the first time. Again, no damage. I predict that after a good cleaning you will not be able to tell the submersion happened.

Top Bottom