• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Interested in other folks thoughts on this.....I would say 98% of the time I carry my weapon on my hip while I am at home. I don't reveal it, it is normally concealed but it is always readily accessible. The other day, a neighbor came over and asked me why I carry a weapon at home. I explained my reasoning to him and he just kind of shook his head and walked away.

It is pretty much second nature to me and I have done this for years. In the past, there have been people posing as door to door solicitors push their way into someone's home and rob them and a few times abused the homeowner as well. I have a few weapons placed around my house but still have one on my hip as well. I asked my wife if this bothered her and she said she was glad I carried in and around the house. My thought is that if its needed, I don't want to or won't have time to run into the house or into another room to retrieve my weapon.....

I am well trained and neighbors, visitors etc. do not even know I am armed at home. I don't believe I am being "paranoid" as my neighbor suggested, just prepared....What are your thoughts? Do you carry at home as well? Thanks for your input....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I carry from the time I get dressed until I get ready to go to bed. When I go to bed, the gun goes on the table next to my bed. I don't worry about concealing at home since it is my property and it is easier to get to if it is not under my shirt.

We have had issues with stray dogs (sometimes aggressive) coming into our yard. We have also had various people trying to solicit or scam us. My favorite was the two guys attempting to sell me beef from the back of their beat up, rusted out pickup. The freezers in the back were as rusty as the truck and were not connected to any kind of power source. We live down a long drive, and our house is not visible from the road. My husband left, and literally seconds later these two guys were in my yard. They had to see him leave. The driver told me why they were here. I told him to leave and that I had no need for their beef. He proceeded to get out of his truck. I suggested firmly that he get back in and leave my property. He started to walk toward me, and I turned enough he could see my .45 on my hip. His partner saw it and told him to get back in the truck saying "Dude, she's got a gun". They left. I did report them to the police and shared on FB what had happened so my neighbors were aware they were in the area.

I had a similar incident with guys trying to sell me road grindings for my driveway. Again...my husband left, and the guy immediately came up the drive. I told him no and to not come back. Two days later as I was leaving, I saw the same truck turning into my driveway. My husband wasn't home so I turned around and came back up to find him walking around the outside of my house. I got out of my truck and told him to leave again and said I better not have to do it a third time...again, he saw my gun as I had uncovered it as I got out of my truck.

I've had a few comments from visitors, but I just tell them it's my house and I prefer to carry. It doesn't seem to upset anyone.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I mostly do not, when I get home I pull the gun out, put it in the safe, take everything out of my pockets and change clothes.

However I do have 3 matching guns in the house placed in 3 different locations that I can access very quickly. I can have a gun in hand in 5 seconds no matter where I am unless I am in the basement (I almost never go in the basement)

RiNo6589

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2017
    Northeast indiana
    I definitely carry at home. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but two weeks after I had moved in to said neighborhood there was a person found shot in an alley two blocks from my house. I've also had slightly shady characters come knocking on my door asking me to donate money to help them go to college( clearly a scam, and possibly casing the area). Better safe than sorry in my book.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Unless your "reasoning" for carrying a firearm while at home is to "open pecans" it sounds like you now know of a neighbor that needs to mind their own business and let you live your life like you want to. I carry most of the time while at home unless I'm working on something where it would be more comfortable without a firearm. Sometimes I open carry at home, especially since I got my new holster (thanks Slow Hand!) but mostly conceal carry at home.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Always, at home, at work, at all places legal. A gun on your body is 2 seconds closer than a gun 5 seconds away.

Agree with you completely.

BBI has a video that was part of the training in DC1 class. Some chick took a bullet trying to get a gun less than 5 seconds away.

Off carry is is not a good idea because you are already behind when being robbed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carry all the time except in bed and then I have gunS within reach no matter how I sleep.
    Years ago I had my door kicked in by a couple of bad people with guns. My .45 was less than 8' away from me. It might as well have been 80' as I didn't have time to get to my gun before I had a cannon sticking to my head.
    Want to know what helpless is?
    Let them hold you hostage, fix themselves food and drink, go through everything you own, point a gun at your wife and baby while you sit there helpless.
    My only move would have been suicide by burgler and I'm sure my wife and son would have been next.
    Carry at home? You betcha I do.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll echo a few comments from up-thread:

100% of home invasions happen at home.

If I am dressed, I am carrying.

I carry everywhere that is legal.

There are a thousand reasons why. Neighbors don't have to like it, and I don't have to care.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    YES! As others have said, if I am awake I am carrying. I always at least have an LCP in my pocket.

My home burglary experience was not nearly as traumatic or terrifying as halfmileharry's but I did arrive home from work one day to find people inside my house. I was unarmed and had my 2 year-old daughter in tow. The worst part was that I had left my night stand gun in the night stand, so I knew whoever was inside was now armed due to my carelessness.

I backed out of the house and called police as the intruders ran out the back door. It took about 15 minutes for a patrol officer to arrive.

My wife was also robbed at gunpoint in our driveway a few months prior after coming home late at night on a girl's night out.

Since those incidents I am always armed anywhere it's legal.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I live in the second floor of a condo and unless they climb up the balcony, which is always locked, there's only one door and it's very solid with deadbolts. I unless I just got home and haven't changed or already dressed to go out but decided to wait, I am not carrying, but I do have guns nearby since the only other person I live with is my brother.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    A couple of really great examples here on why to carry at home. Thanks for sharing!

As for me, I usually don't carry openly. But when I'm home ill carry big pistols. My ruger single action 44 in a big chunk of leather because I like it and she likes the attention! I'll carry a 4" K frame in a galco pancake. I'm always armed, though. Always. There's a piece for sitting by the shower that won't rust but I don't actually take it in the water.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nope. I like to lounge in just some athletic shorts when I'm off...so there is that. Quite frankly I carry so much gear when I'm working that I cherish the time when I can strip it all off.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Interested in other folks thoughts on this.....I would say 98% of the time I carry my weapon on my hip while I am at home. I don't reveal it, it is normally concealed but it is always readily accessible. The other day, a neighbor came over and asked me why I carry a weapon at home. I explained my reasoning to him and he just kind of shook his head and walked away.

It is pretty much second nature to me and I have done this for years. In the past, there have been people posing as door to door solicitors push their way into someone's home and rob them and a few times abused the homeowner as well. I have a few weapons placed around my house but still have one on my hip as well. I asked my wife if this bothered her and she said she was glad I carried in and around the house. My thought is that if its needed, I don't want to or won't have time to run into the house or into another room to retrieve my weapon.....

I am well trained and neighbors, visitors etc. do not even know I am armed at home. I don't believe I am being "paranoid" as my neighbor suggested, just prepared....What are your thoughts? Do you carry at home as well? Thanks for your input....

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Yes. I carry all of the time unless I am at work.

I even carried into a building this morning that did not allow revolvers in their business...

Top Bottom