• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Seems like we've heard from this guy before.

“Folks, now more than ever is the time for our citizens to be prepared to serve as the first line of defense, not only for them, but for their families,” Sheriff Ivey said.

As images of the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting and Pulse nightclub massacre flashed on-screen, Ivey warned residents that attacks have happened locally as well as abroad.

Ivey stressed that attackers rely on people running, hiding, and waiting for help, rather than fighting back.

“What they don’t count on is being attacked themselves, having to become defensive to save their own lives,” Ivey argued.
    The sheriff said that calling 911 means officers are on their way, but said, “Until they arrive, it’s up to you and those with you to neutralize or eliminate the threat.”

"No matter who you are or what your position is on guns, there’s no denying the fact that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun or a knife is an armed and well-prepared citizen or law enforcement officer,” Ivey said. DID YOU HEAR THAT, SHANNON??!!

'This is war': Florida sheriff urges citizens to arm themselves in case of attack | Fox News

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's sad that more heads of law enforcement agencies don't take the same stance.

Well in some cities residents are not even allowed to carry (like in DC or NYC) so they won't urge those people to break the law.

I guess they could denonce the unconstitutionality of those locals laws.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well in some cities residents are not even allowed to carry (like in DC or NYC) so they won't urge those people to break the law.

The fact that many in those states are advocating for more restrictions underscores my point. They don't want citizens carrying because it gives their department a monopoly on force.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We`ve been at war for quite some time. At war against principalities of course, as the Bible rightly points out, and that has led to the war we face against both domestic, and foreign born threats. It is disgusting that anyplace inside the United States would be off limits for a law-abiding citizen to either keep, and/or, bear arms. This must be changed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Several years ago I volunteered to teach the NSSF's "First Shots" program at my local range.
    On one occasion when my mother was visiting from Florida, I put her and my step-dad through the class.

They left and went back to Florida with a new outlook toward personal firearm carry.
    The following mothers day I talked my mom into accepting a pistol from me for my mothers day gift.
    I sent a Bersa Thunder 380 to a local gun shop in Florida. I sent payment to the shop for a box of .380 ball ammo so she would know what to purchase for it.
    I also sent her a Hornady personal handgun safe, and she promised to take it to a range in Florida for practice.

I have my doubts as to whether she has actually practiced, but I still feel better with her having something at hand.

On a side note, I really miss that Bersa Thunder .380.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    We`ve been at war for quite some time. At war against principalities of course, as the Bible rightly points out, and that has led to the war we face against both domestic, and foreign born threats. It is disgusting that anyplace inside the United States would be off limits for a law-abiding citizen to either keep, and/or, bear arms. This must be changed.

Dang, Gregr, that is three times in one day! Tried to rep you and still can't! Excellent statement!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

No sheriff in a county like that is going to say a word. They will almost certainly be a Dem and part of the machine.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The fact that many in those states are advocating for more restrictions underscores my point. They don't want citizens carrying because it gives their department a monopoly on lawful force.

FTFY

I can think of a couple of places where it is better that no one (no one) be armed, whether LEO or not. The first would be a penal facility and the second, a mental hospital housing forensic patients. My thinking is that situational awareness, in those cases, trumps the "I should be able to keep my gun!" argument, solely based on the numbers involved. If a group of the residents at either location decides to distract and disarm you, you've just put a gun into that situation.

That said, I do think you should be able to carry right up to the inner security door, leading to where the inmates or patients are housed. Lockers in that location should be available, just as there are lockers outside of an MRI scanner room (which is another good place to forbid guns, for obvious reasons)

What's the old saying? "when seconds count, the police are just minutes away"?

I use that quote often.

Several years ago I volunteered to teach the NSSF's "First Shots" program at my local range.
    On one occasion when my mother was visiting from Florida, I put her and my step-dad through the class.

They left and went back to Florida with a new outlook toward personal firearm carry.
    The following mothers day I talked my mom into accepting a pistol from me for my mothers day gift.
    I sent a Bersa Thunder 380 to a local gun shop in Florida. I sent payment to the shop for a box of .380 ball ammo so she would know what to purchase for it.
    I also sent her a Hornady personal handgun safe, and she promised to take it to a range in Florida for practice.

I have my doubts as to whether she has actually practiced, but I still feel better with her having something at hand.

On a side note, I really miss that Bersa Thunder .380.

May it be a very long time before it returns to you, Mgderf, and may she use it in good health at the range often in the meantime.

The rep system is broken and has been for quite a while now. I don't think anyone plans to fix it...in fact I kinda wonder if it was not purposely turned off.

The attempts have been made to track down the problem. The rep points stopped working when INGO transferred to texkev's server, and our tech guy put it that there are differences between any two servers that may make such things not work. He said he was not able to find a way to make the points work again. I can tell you that it was most certainly NOT "purposely turned off", though IMHO, we are better off without it. You have the esteem of your friends and other fellow INGOers, and no points battles where everyone is gaming the system to have a higher rep bar. Also, I'm not an admin here, but I have seen the "back end" of vBulletin, and IIRC, if the goal was just to turn off the rep system, we could have done that by unchecking a box and clicking "save", and that little gold star wouldn't even be at the bottom of any post. The board simply would not have a rep system at all.

Please note again that that last is MY opinion, not the official position of the board, since there is no such position.

Blessings,
    Bill

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Very true statement Greg. Thanks for posting.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Heard Sheriff Ivey on the Dana Loesch show this afternoon. I'd vote for this guy.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    On the flip side we have the Sheriff of Pinellas County Florida that said he will shoot citizens who carry...

"In my humble opinion, it appears as though Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri may be ready for the rubber gun squad.

The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”

What’s troubling the lawman, who’s also an attorney?

The Florida Police Chiefs Association voted Thursday to support open carry legislation — and that’s a bill the good sheriff staunchly opposes.

You’ll remember Sheriff Gualtieri. He’s not known for his support of guns, gun owners or pro-gun legislation.

In May of 2013, he vowed to start enforcing a little-used county ordinance that requires background checks at local gun shows for all private sales. The county ordinance gathered dust since it was enacted in 1998. Violators faced misdemeanor charges. After garnering a few headlines, the plan fizzled. Gun shows were held without any problems. No arrests were ever made.

A year later he called the Firearms Mandatory Evacuation bill — which is now law — “crazy” and “absurd,” saying it would allow people to carry concealed firearms into a riot, rather than when they’re fleeing their homes.

And he’s been fighting the open-carry legislation with bad info.

A county sheriff who’s threatening to shoot his constituents for exercising their Second Amendment rights is a worrisome situation, one which I hope gets whispered into the ear of Gov. Rick Scott.

The governor needs to take swift action now, before a law abiding Pinellas County resident is “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

The sheriff’s statements constitute official sanction for his deputies to use excessive force — or even deadly force — on gun owners.

And quite frankly, that should scare the hell out of everyone who lives in Pinellas County, regardless of whether they own or carry a gun."

How is this crook still the elected sheriff?

Top Bottom