• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    On my commute to downtown indy this morning I was thinking about what would happen in a specific road rage incident and wondering what Ingo's opinions on it are :popcorn:. Here goes...

Let's say you are driving downtown by yourself with no family and are not in one of the outside lanes and get stopped at a red light behind other people. Of course, you always leave space between you and the car in front of you, but in this specific situation, you're not on an outside lane so you can't get out without ramming in between several cars. Insert some pissed off guy behind you that Thinks you cut him off, Doesn't like bacon, and/or doesn't like your INGO sticker, etc. This guy gets out of his car behind you and angrily comes up to your drivers door with a tire iron or the like wanting to fight. He tries ripping your door open (but of course we all drive with our doors locked right?), and proceeds to take a shot at your window with the tire iron.

At this point it's unlawful entry/attack of an occupied motor vehicle, correct? IC reference: Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-41-3-2 | FindLaw

IANAL, but based on the IC and the man be armed with what can be used as a deadly weapon, I would think this would be a justified use of deadly force.

Now what I was contemplating this morning is that if there was a man at my drivers window and I sent a round through the window, there's a car right on the other side of this soft target. Which you can assume has someone's loved ones in it that would like to proceed on their day without any bullet holes, and a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. What would you do in this situation?

Disclaimer: Not looking for responses like "Don't go to the city", "Always stay in an outside lane", "Drive a truck so you can run over the other cars", etc. It would be great to always be in an outside lane and drive a truck big enough to not sustain damage from ramping 12" curbs, and to never have to go downtown but these things aren't always practical/possible. But this is INGO so....fire away :ar15:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    You would definitely be justified in using deadly force in the situation you described.

As for what I would do in that situation; I would shoot. My hierarchy for concern in a self defense scenario is as follows:
    1. My family
    2. Me
    3. Everyone else

If I thought the bad guy was an imminent threat to me and I did not think that I could safely exit my vehicle or escape without getting seriously harmed or killed then I am looking out for #1 (actually #2 on my hierarchy) and shooting the bad-guy as many times as it takes, sorry to the people in the car behind him, but I'm going to do what I need to do to go home to my family at the end of the day.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You would definitely be justified in using deadly force in the situation you described.

As for what I would do in that situation; I would shoot. My hierarchy for concern in a self defense scenario is as follows:
    1. My family
    2. Me
    3. Everyone else

If I thought the bad guy was an imminent threat to me and I did not think that I could safely exit my vehicle or escape without getting seriously harmed or killed then I am looking out for #1 (actually #2 on my hierarchy) and shooting the bad-guy as many times as it takes, sorry to the people in the car behind him, but I'm going to do what I need to do to go home to my family at the end of the day.

Exactly .....

also TRY to shoot UP, at an angle, if it is possible, to avoid hitting the car next to you .....

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    1. Slowly roll down the window and put your gun directly under his chin and fire.
    2. Get out and put his hand around the gun and tell the police it was a suicide.
    3. Tell all the witnesses to also lie, or they'll be next.
    4. Win the day.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    LIke SSGSAD said: shoot at an upward angle. Of course, how that would work out depends on the vehicles involved. If they're all sedans, I think you'd have to aim at the assailant's navel to risk hitting the people in the adjacent car.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    GIVE. ME. THE. GREY. POUPON.

screen-shot-2016-04-06-at-10-46-35-am.jpg

Cali is a messed up place:
    Limo driver seen hitting car with crowbar in road rage altercation | FOX31 Denver

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'd let him hit my window until it breaks. The more damage he does, the more I can get out of insurance. Gun out and pointed, but do not fire yet until he has gotten pass the door and is wide open. Why waste bullets while a guy tires himself out with a tire iron (pun intended). Try calling cops, turn my dash camera facing him while shouting all the legally helpful words in court. "Stay away!" "Stop" "Don't come near me" "I've called the cops". So that when reviewed, they'll see that you have done everything you can to avoid using you gun...and then, once you've gotten enough hard evidence, you do what you have to do because you were "in fear of your life" as the tapes pointed out.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Be prepared to make an appointment with a hearing aid center for a free check up the next week because you'll likely be deaf in at least one ear.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I'd let him hit my window until it breaks. The more damage he does, the more I can get out of insurance. Gun out and pointed, but do not fire yet until he has gotten pass the door and is wide open. Why waste bullets while a guy tires himself out with a tire iron (pun intended). Try calling cops, turn my dash camera facing him while shouting all the legally helpful words in court. "Stay away!" "Stop" "Don't come near me" "I've called the cops". So that when reviewed, they'll see that you have done everything you can to avoid using you gun...and then, once you've gotten enough hard evidence, you do what you have to do because you were "in fear of your life" as the tapes pointed out.

All in the 1 or 2 seconds it takes before he bashes your head in. I hope you train regularly for that scenario.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would be reluctant to use the bear spray in the truck because, been there, done that, it sucks. (I only learn things the hard way and rarely then). I would be reluctant to use the Glock because I don't want to shoot anyone, the attacker, or innocent bystanders, plus it would be so loud. I would be reluctant to smash into the cars around me to escape, because I do not want to break other people's stuff.

I don't know what I would do, but I hope I would do the least horrible thing that I could to protect myself.

I really do not want to hurt anyone, but my need to be here for my people takes precedence.

I would strongly suggest keeping an eye on your attacker. If, after smashing on your vehicle, he goes back to his vehicle, reaches in and comes back, I would assume he had retrieved a gun and intended to use it.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    ride it out and hope that light turns green so you can drive away. the window may be able to take a few blows.

if that's not in the cards, kiss your hearing goodbye and shoot until he's no longer a threat.

Top Bottom