• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I feel its important to make this post. Dont agree with how I handled it thats fine, and I dont care.

Im 37 years old. Almost without exception I have open carried something (for the last few years a Glock 30 in a kydex) every day from wake up until bed for 19 of those years. In all my time doing this today is the first time Ive ever been extremely happy it was on my hip.

Today around 4pm I was working in my back yard. A white van pulls up the drive with no markings what so ever. I had a couple guys working on a pool, and I ask if the van was with them, and they said no.

Some of you have been to my place, most have not. I live in the boonies to say the least. You really don't come here unless you mean to. I walk around the corner, and there is a late 20's mexican (not being a racist bastard here) getting out of the van from the passengers side. He had full sleeve tattoo's (not being judgmental, I have some to) as well as a neck covered in tats. Driver never gets out, but has neck tats as well. My wife has the good sense to let the rottweiler, and German Shepard out of the house (the pit was hiding under the bed). The Shepard stands at the front door growling, and the Rot is pretty well pissed and ready to go to war. I think she could sense I was a little on edge, and did exactly what I wanted her to do. I walk up and say "can I help you boys?" and the guy who got out started getting real jittery, and stuttering his words, looking at his buddy, etc. My rot is standing on my left growling. He starts saying thy are lost, and looking for x address (which is not even fiscally possible the way we do our addressing system in Indiana). I inform them thats not possible, and his buddy starts fidgeting in the van. I open carry, so there is no "uncover your gun" I just pulled my hand to my grip and kind of leaned on the gun. Eventually they left, I got some licence plate, and description, and called to report it.

I will say this, I practice with a gun more than most. I can tell you for a fact that I did not regret 1 round of that practice walking towards the van. I actually regretted I had not shot my gun in the last 5 days.

The moral of the story is, you may think its overkill to carry while cutting the grass, watching TV, ETC. But from personal experience as of today, Im glad I am vigilant about carrying every where I go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good for you. I dont always carry around the house, but when I come home from work I have put it on as I left the office (cant carry there :( ), so I typically dont disarm until I switch to PJs.

I was glad the other afternoon as we drove past an IMPD perimeter a half mile from my house; officers standing out with their patrol rifles watching for a shooter who fled into the woods. I didnt worry one bit because I was carrying.

When the doorbell rang shortly after we got home, once again, not that worried when a less than well dressed stranger was standing there. (I actually expected an officer given the circumstances) Turns out it was a contractor who lives in my neighborhood who was dropping by to talk about some concrete work.

Carry where the crime happens. (hint: it could be anywhere)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Forgot to add

I found out later in the evening that about a month ago A lady in Boston (about 2 miles north) answered here door, and got hit in the face with a metal pipe, or bat of some kind and was robbed. The only thing she remembered was a white van.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    42769, you may have just saved you and your family's lives. These guys from your description, could have been either a burglary crew, or worse yet a home invasion crew. They could have also been the "we're here to offer roofing services", and whilst you speak with them, some felon in the back of the van sneaks out, gets in the house and relieves you of your swag.

In any event, fortunately a non-event.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I sincerely hope the boys in the white van got the message loud and clear...but my gut says it's likely they may return at any time. Stay vigilant.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I live in the boonies as well, and I can be absolutely certain I would have handled it the same way, save for I would keep the dogs inside because mine are idiots and would just run off.

Remember kids, 100% of all home invasions happen at home.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a similar oh **** moment at work the other day. I was working late and had my pistol on my desk when I was startled by the sound of breaking glass which sounded like it was right outside my office door. Our main lobby is right outside my office door so I thought somebody either broke the front window or broke into my car which was parked right outside. After the initial shock I picked up my pistol and cleared the hallway and lobby. No broken glass out front and wondered where the hell the noise came from. Turns out the air-conditioner on the mezzanine right across the hall from my office had frozen up and flooded the ceiling above a bathroom which filled the globe light fixture with water and brought it crashing to the floor. I can truly say for a moment there I know what it feels like to have someone come crashing into your place because that's exactly what I was convinced was happening.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I sincerely hope the boys in the white van got the message loud and clear...but my gut says it's likely they may return at any time. Stay vigilant.

I hope your wrong. The flip side is, there are 4 houses on my 3 mile road. My sister, my father, me, and our 80 year old considered family neighbor. If they decide to come to someones house on our road, Im thankful it was mine.

I personally dont think they will be back to my place. These dudes had that look on their face that said "this is where rednecks come from". I think they will find a softer target next round, I just hope its not in my area.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm betting they didn't realize they were pulling up to a house, it's one of the things I love about your house. You don't accidentally stumble up to your house. Glad everything worked out.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Good looking out. I'm a home carrier too.

imo, Your driveway is set up perfect to use a driveway alarm for in the house and a black flash camera to grab pics and plate numbers for times you may not be home.

Anyway, glad it worked out. Keep the fam and yourself safe. Give the dog a treat too. Sounds like she was ready :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having been to your place you have to be knowing you live there to come up that drive.
    Those guys had ill intent.

Something I have been practicing is getting my cell out and getting the camera on line while still having my strong hand for my side arm. A pic or video of the douche bags in question can be a real help.
    Saying this if confronted in that way this could have went south very fast.

I am so glad you are OK.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Nicely done, Alan. And thanks for posting this. We INGOers need to read these things to be reminded WHY we carry all the time.

Bocefus offers solid advice above about a driveway alarm. Great idea.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Good looking out. I'm a home carrier too.

imo, Your driveway is set up perfect to use a driveway alarm for in the house and a black flash camera to grab pics and plate numbers for times you may not be home.

Anyway, glad it worked out. Keep the fam and yourself safe. Give the dog a treat too. Sounds like she was ready :)

OP described almost the exact situation I encountered a few years ago. My husband left to go to the hardware store and seconds later I heard tires on the gravel in the driveway. I could tell by the sound it was not his truck. I also could hear the driveway alarm going off so I was sure someone was coming up. Two guys in a beat up black Dodge truck with rusty freezers in the back (not plugged in) who wanted to sell me beef. I usually carry my .38 around the yard, but had my .45 on that day. I OC in the yard so when my hand was resting on the grip, the passenger became quite aware and urged his buddy to stop exiting the vehicle and get it going. The driver initially was trying to convince me to buy his product. I assured him I had no need for it and he should leave. He then started to get out of the truck...that's when his partner said, "Dude, she has a gun", and he got back in and they left.

I have two alarms in the driveway. Your yard/driveway sounds much like ours. Secluded in the woods. If one alarm sounds and the second does not, it is usually a critter crossing so I don't get too concerned. If both alarms go off one after the other, I know someone is coming up the drive. The two alarm system (cheap on Amazon and battery operated) eliminates me running every time a deer or turkey or cat triggers it.

I also have two trail cameras. One catches license plates as they come up the drive...the other as they are leaving. Sometimes one camera will not catch the vehicle if it is moving fast so the second camera is a good backup.

I'm not paranoid. I'm prepared. :):

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I carried in my garage last night for these same reasons. Apparently my neighbor had a situation a few years back where 3 guys tried to get in his garage while he had locked himself inside.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP described almost the exact situation I encountered a few years ago. My husband left to go to the hardware store and seconds later I heard tires on the gravel in the driveway. I could tell by the sound it was not his truck. I also could hear the driveway alarm going off so I was sure someone was coming up. Two guys in a beat up black Dodge truck with rusty freezers in the back (not plugged in) who wanted to sell me beef. I usually carry my .38 around the yard, but had my .45 on that day. I OC in the yard so when my hand was resting on the grip, the passenger became quite aware and urged his buddy to stop exiting the vehicle and get it going. The driver initially was trying to convince me to buy his product. I assured him I had no need for it and he should leave. He then started to get out of the truck...that's when his partner said, "Dude, she has a gun", and he got back in and they left.

I have two alarms in the driveway. Your yard/driveway sounds much like ours. Secluded in the woods. If one alarm sounds and the second does not, it is usually a critter crossing so I don't get too concerned. If both alarms go off one after the other, I know someone is coming up the drive. The two alarm system (cheap on Amazon and battery operated) eliminates me running every time a deer or turkey or cat triggers it.

I also have two trail cameras. One catches license plates as they come up the drive...the other as they are leaving. Sometimes one camera will not catch the vehicle if it is moving fast so the second camera is a good backup.

I'm not paranoid. I'm prepared. :):

Just because you may be paranoid does not mean they are not watching you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom