• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There is so much info, some of it different from what other's write.
    Do I go online, or to the local Lawrence police or downtown.
    Do I get a national license online that is recognized in multiple states?

The fees. Prople say money orders only to the local and to the State.
    Who exactly do you make it out to for the local, I suppose State of Indiana for the State?

I have other questions, but as I was just trying to do this today on vacation I don't know whose advice to follow.
    I was simply going to go online, but others said there was no real advantage of that.
    Then I read where I could go to Lawrence instead of downtown Indy (where I went back in 1990 ish).

Are there different kinds of licenses to just get the lifetime one.
    I'm afraid if I go online I'll click on the wrong thing and later realize I could have picked a better license (if there are choices).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is difficult to come up with a scenario where a 4 year LTHC would be better value than the lifetime.

: Firearms Licensing

There is not a national license.

I assume the 4 year is different, not the lifetime, and no one would get a 4 year instead of a lifetime, like I had to do in 1990.

Since you put the link there, I guess your recommendation is to use it, so I will: thanks!
    This link led me to a subscription to IN State Police site for updates???

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    We got ours last fall, so it's possible things have changed again, but this is what our process was:
    1) Complete the online portion for the state police : Apply for a New License to Carry ($75 and a processing fee) [edit: looks like this is the only option for this part of the process as of Jan. 2017 as they no longer accept payment by mail]
    2) Make an appointment to get electronically fingerprinted (don't recall offhand how much this was)
    3) Once fingerprinted, take the information to the County Sheriff's department ($50) [edit: iirc, the information needed was the application ID number you get at the end of 1) and the receipt for the fingerprints, plus your photo ID]
    4) Wait for them to show up in the mail. My wife's came in after a month or so, mine took a couple weeks longer.

Paid cash for fingerprinting and at the county.

My understanding is that the Hunting and Target license just allows you to transport unloaded for sporting purposes and carry in the field. Personal Protection permits allow you to carry anywhere it's legal to do so.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I assume the 4 year is different, not the lifetime, and no one would get a 4 year instead of a lifetime, like I had to do in 1990.

Since you put the link there, I guess your recommendation is to use it, so I will: thanks!
    This link led me to a subscription to IN State Police site for updates???

Scroll down to "new license to carry" button hit it and the next screen will give you the steps in order to take.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, all.
    I had the thing filled out and submitted before I finished reading this.
    Never considered getting anything but lifetime.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good Grief!
    I'm having problems with it telling me I didn't pay, when I did.
    I paid the $75 OK, but when paying the $11.95 it says I didn't do it, but I did and even have a confirmation.
    It says there is a system error?????

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We got ours last fall, so it's possible things have changed again, but this is what our process was:
    1) Complete the online portion for the state police : Apply for a New License to Carry ($75 and a processing fee) [edit: looks like this is the only option for this part of the process as of Jan. 2017 as they no longer accept payment by mail]
    2) Make an appointment to get electronically fingerprinted (don't recall offhand how much this was)
    3) Once fingerprinted, take the information to the County Sheriff's department ($50) [edit: iirc, the information needed was the application ID number you get at the end of 1) and the receipt for the fingerprints, plus your photo ID]
    4) Wait for them to show up in the mail. My wife's came in after a month or so, mine took a couple weeks longer.

Paid cash for fingerprinting and at the county.

My understanding is that the Hunting and Target license just allows you to transport unloaded for sporting purposes and carry in the field. Personal Protection permits allow you to carry anywhere it's legal to do so.

1. I'm getting ready to leave to getifingerprinted.
    2. $50 to County Sheriff: cash, m oney order or cashier check (and made out to who exactly)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got back from getting my fingerprinting, but don't know where to go next.
    The man at The Mailing Station at 5868 71st St was not very helpful or friendly; when I tried to ask a question he would just finish his "spiel" that he must have been required to give.
    He indicated I had to wait 1 day before going to the Sheriff's office and when I said that beats having to go downtown, he said, depending on my address I might have to go downtown anyway.
    I'm trying to find out where to go w/o going downtown.
    I tried calling Lawrence Police (I live around 71st St. and Shadeland) but I only get recordings at different numbers that I try.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    So glad we got our lifetimes when they were first offered. This new process seems to be a pain in the butt. I've went through many of the 4 year licenses, going back to when you had to supply a reason you wanted it, and when it showed up it was this huge pink paper that said you couldn't laminate it. Moved on to the smaller credit card pink slip and the removal of the reason you wanted it question. Last time we tinkered with it was when they introduced the plastic card. I did that one online without any problems but I know others had some.

Up until that last upgrade I always went to the sheriff's office and told them what I needed. They pulled out the application and asked me if I wanted to take it with me or they could fill it out while I was there. I took it with me once and brought it back, no problems, quick & easy. I had them do it once. She fed the paper into a type writer, took my ID and old license and asked me if anything had changed. I told her no, she typed everything out (very quickly as well) and had me sign it. Come on back she said. I told her I had my pistol on and she gave me a key to the lock boxes by the secure door. I removed my gun, leaving it in the IWB holster and locked it up. No, I didn't get arrested, shot or curb stomped, not even a harsh glare. Went back and got fingerprinted, she said I could wash my hands while she got it signed & finished. Brought me back a completed form and I dropped it in the mail on the way out of town. Simple, easy, and in person. I'll take that every time compared to trying to argue with a computer monitor that says I didn't do something right.

Technology, sometimes it a blessing, other times it's a *****.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I called the Lawrence Police (after sifting through a bunch of numbers) and when I gave them my address, wait for it: I have to go downtown to the city/county building after all, argh!
    I got the number for the "gun" division at the Indianapolis City County Building: 317.232.8264
    This is where you pay your local $50 fee, if you have applied online for your license and got fingerprinted already, not where you go to apply for your license, if I understand it correctly.
    I talked to a wonderfully pleasant woman who was so helpful.
    My fingerprints were already on file (only a couple of hours later).
    All I have to do is bring my $50 with me (cash, credit card, whatever: convenient).
    She even told me where to park: New Jersey/Market.
    Open until 4 pm.
    Then I wait 4-6 weeks.
    Since I'm a boring schoolteacher, it shouldn't take long.

What is funny, when I think of carrying, I have fond memories of my .25 caliber Baretta that I loved back in 1990.
    What used to be a $35-$50 gun is probably x10 that now.

Since I'm sitting around waiting for a kidney stone to hit, it's been a good way to pass the day.
    Spent yesterday driving back from out of state (interupting a 6 day vacation) going and getting a cat scan, and then sitting in the ER for hours so they could tell me if I had complications or not: I'm hoping not. :dunno:

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    My lifetime under the current process was 18 calendar days from start to finish (receiving card in mail), and that included two weekends. My municipal PD took the longest portion of that, 10 calendar days. The big changes compared to those who got their LTCH some time ago are the Indiana State Police no longer accepting any paper applications, fingerprint cards, or payments through the mail (payment policy changed on 1 Jan 2017). The fingerprints are done electronically and you must make an appointment and pay for it online. Current fee for it is $11.95, in addition to the lifetime license $75 state fee and $50 local fee.

Where you go for the local half depends on where you live. If you live in a town or city with its own marshal or PD, it's generally one of their offices, and for everyone else, it's one of your county sheriff's offices. For the OP, unless you actually live within the Lawrence city limits (Shadeland and 71st is north of Lawrence), I very seriously doubt their PD can do the local half as your legal residence is not in their jurisdiction.

Edit:
    Cross-posting. Yep, as I thought, Lawrence PD cannot do it by proxy for you.

John

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So glad we got our lifetimes when they were first offered. This new process seems to be a pain in the butt. I've went through many of the 4 year licenses, going back to when you had to supply a reason you wanted it, and when it showed up it was this huge pink paper that said you couldn't laminate it. Moved on to the smaller credit card pink slip and the removal of the reason you wanted it question. Last time we tinkered with it was when they introduced the plastic card. I did that one online without any problems but I know others had some.

Up until that last upgrade I always went to the sheriff's office and told them what I needed. They pulled out the application and asked me if I wanted to take it with me or they could fill it out while I was there. I took it with me once and brought it back, no problems, quick & easy. I had them do it once. She fed the paper into a type writer, took my ID and old license and asked me if anything had changed. I told her no, she typed everything out (very quickly as well) and had me sign it. Come on back she said. I told her I had my pistol on and she gave me a key to the lock boxes by the secure door. I removed my gun, leaving it in the IWB holster and locked it up. No, I didn't get arrested, shot or curb stomped, not even a harsh glare. Went back and got fingerprinted, she said I could wash my hands while she got it signed & finished. Brought me back a completed form and I dropped it in the mail on the way out of town. Simple, easy, and in person. I'll take that every time compared to trying to argue with a computer monitor that says I didn't do something right.

Technology, sometimes it a blessing, other times it's a *****.

1. I hear you.
    2. I had issues with letters being capitalized or not incorrectly, and difficult to correct.
    3. I learned I had to go back an extra page or two and work my way forward 3 times b/c it would not go forward when I clicked "next" sometimes.
    4. Then there is the issue where it said it did not recieve my payment (but I had a reciept for it).
    5. Then, when I talked with the lady downtown she couldn't find my info (she heard my name wrong), I'm not Jerry. That took about 2 minutes to figure out.
    6. I was scared that my cmp had messed up but it was human error this time at least.
    7. I'm happy to have got this done today. I have been wanting to do it for years, and never got around to it, but my son wanting a home defense gun brought it all into focus.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My lifetime under the current process was 18 calendar days from start to finish (receiving card in mail), and that included two weekends. My municipal PD took the longest portion of that, 10 calendar days. The big changes compared to those who got their LTCH some time ago are the Indiana State Police no longer accepting any paper applications, fingerprint cards, or payments through the mail (payment policy changed on 1 Jan 2017). The fingerprints are done electronically and you must make an appointment and pay for it online. Current fee for it is $11.95, in addition to the lifetime license $75 state fee and $50 local fee.
    Where you go for the local half depends on where you live. If you live in a town or city with its own marshal or PD, it's generally one of their offices, and for everyone else, it's one of your county sheriff's offices. For the OP, unless you actually live within the Lawrence city limits (Shadeland and 71st is north of Lawrence), I very seriously doubt their PD can do the local half as your legal residence is not in their jurisdiction.

Edit:
    Cross-posting. Yep, as I thought, Lawrence PD cannot do it by proxy for you.

John

1. You are correct about everything. :thumbsup:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I called the Lawrence Police (after sifting through a bunch of numbers) and when I gave them my address, wait for it: I have to go downtown to the city/county building after all, argh!

I got the number for the "gun" division at the Indianapolis City County Building: 317.232.8264
    I talked to a wonderfully pleasant woman who was so helpful.
    My fingerprints were already on file (only a couple of hours later).
    All I have to do is bring my $50 with me (cash, credit card, whatever: convenient).
    She even told me where to park: New Jersey/Market.
    Open until 4 pm.
    Then I wait 4-6 weeks.

What is funny, when I think of carrying, I have fond memories of my .25 caliber Baretta that I loved back in 1990.

Since I'm sitting around waiting for a kidney stone to hit, it's been a good way to pass the day.
    Spent yesterday driving back from out of state (interupting a 6 day vacation) going and getting a cat scan, and then sitting in the ER for hours so they could tell me if I had complications or not: I'm hoping not. :dunno:

So it's been more than just a pain in the butt, also a bit higher as well. Yuck. I hate kidney stones, they hit me very hard. They will actually put me out of commission until they are gone. I'll vomit every 45-60 minutes until it's over, awake, asleep, doesn't matter.

If I tried to fill out a form online while dealing with it I probably wouldn't be able to make a coherent sentence and it'd get returned.

First Name: Er %LSKDAL%#SFHJ!!

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    [snip] . . .
    Then I wait 4-6 weeks.

I'd bet you see it a lot sooner than that, unless there's a hiccup in sorting you out from a nefarious villain. The standard time they give is 60 days so they're not inundated with phone calls asking for status updates. ISP has 90 days to issue or deny. The huge backlog was last Autumn, before the election, along with a big run on firearms and ammunition purchases. I can't imagine another one.

The Beretta 418 .25 ACP:
    James Bond's original pistol, until M took it away because he was almost killed for lack of firepower, and gave him a 7.65mm (.32 ACP) Walther PPK which was immensely better but still weak-kneed by current standards. When Ian Flemming wrote the novels, the .32 ACP was among the most popular and widely used pistol calibers in Europe, including some military and especially law enforcement. The .25 ACP is becoming an obscure caliber overshadowed by .22LR rimfire. You might be able to find a .25 ACP at a decent price, but the cost of the ammunition I've found in that caliber is higher than .380 ACP or 9mm.

Hoping your CAT scan shows it's nothing serious.

John

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So it's been more than just a pain in the butt, also a bit higher as well. Yuck. I hate kidney stones, they hit me very hard. They will actually put me out of commission until they are gone. I'll vomit every 45-60 minutes until it's over, awake, asleep, doesn't matter.

If I tried to fill out a form online while dealing with it I probably wouldn't be able to make a coherent sentence and it'd get returned.

First Name: Er %LSKDAL%#SFHJ!!

1. I read about the symptoms online and I fit all except I didn't have that vomiting (yet).
    2. That's why I headed 3.5 hrs. back to the medical safety of home, so I wouldn't run into any "billing" issues being away from my home base.
    3. So far, I can't complain, except for 1 shooting jabbing pain in the middle of the night (which scared me b/c I knew then my "discomfort" was the dreaded kidney stones).
    4. I had a close friend go to church Sunday am and by evening he was in writhing pain in the hospital and remained there for 36 hours.
    5. So, I am waiting for the hammer to fall, hoping it will sneak out unawares and I'll miss the bullet (pun intended).
    6. It's just a waiting game now. My son is getting married next weekend, so I hope this is over with by then. I don't want to be in agony and make a spectacle of myself at the wedding. :wallbash:

Top Bottom