• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yes it did. They were some lucky chickens.

At the in-laws and about 10:30, I stepped outside to stargaze. They live in Michigan and ain't no city lights to worry about. After a few minutes I heard the chickens start raising a ruckus in their pen. Pulled out my light and shined it over there. 1 set of green eyes looked right at me. I drew my 4" XDs and started walking towards the raccoon. She had a few freathers around her she got from a hole she was making in the fencing. I lined up my sights with her head and sent a 147 gr PDX1 at her. She just dropped.

I waited a bit to see if she would move but nothing. I walked paces to her. 10 yards. Looked where I got her and there was a hole right under her right eye.

Everyone came out to see what the shot was and I told them I got one of the coons that had been getting their chickens. Mom was happy.

I hope this is the only time I ever have to use my gun against another life. But I did learn a few things. My training has worked. Using a light at night, making it light up the sights so I can get an accurate sight picture. I've practiced this several times and have also had to use it in a local IDPA match in a dark room. I've also put a good amount time behind the trigger of this pistol, both supported and one handed. Proper practice works.

I did have a little adrenaline dump to deal with. Not a life of death moment but definitely more than I've had in a match.

Here is the end result.

Entrance wound.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It sure beats a real self-defense situation, but it's also good to know that you can hit a small, difficult target in the dark when the need arises.
    Good on you for eliminating the bandit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice work!

I don't think you should have any remorse about this event (the part where you hope it was the only time), because you did a good thing. I hope that when you are faced with a similar situation, that you take the same prudent, necessary actions with the same results.

Yes it did. They were some lucky chickens.

At the in-laws and about 10:30, I stepped outside to stargaze. They live in Michigan and ain't no city lights to worry about. After a few minutes I heard the chickens start raising a ruckus in their pen. Pulled out my light and shined it over there. 1 set of green eyes looked right at me. I drew my 4" XDs and started walking towards the raccoon. She had a few freathers around her she got from a hole she was making in the fencing. I lined up my sights with her head and sent a 147 gr PDX1 at her. She just dropped.

I waited a bit to see if she would move but nothing. I walked paces to her. 10 yards. Looked where I got her and there was a hole right under her right eye.

Everyone came out to see what the shot was and I told them I got one of the coons that had been getting their chickens. Mom was happy.

I hope this is the only time I ever have to use my gun against another life. But I did learn a few things. My training has worked. Using a light at night, making it light up the sights so I can get an accurate sight picture. I've practiced this several times and have also had to use it in a local IDPA match in a dark room. I've also put a good amount time behind the trigger of this pistol, both supported and one handed. Proper practice works.

I did have a little adrenaline dump to deal with. Not a life of death moment but definitely more than I've had in a match.

Here is the end result.

Entrance wound.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nice work!

I don't think you should have any remorse about this event (the part where you hope it was the only time), because you did a good thing. I hope that when you are faced with a similar situation, that you take the same prudent, necessary actions with the same results.

I don't feel bad about it. I probably should have worded that a little different. I hope this is the only type of situation I ever need to use my gun it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's a MKII, not a 22/45. And it has taken 2 grounghogs.

My CZ 452 Scout doesn't have enough room on its little stock for all of the raccoon notches it should have carved on it, with possums and groundhogs being separate tallies.

I don't feel bad about it. I probably should have worded that a little different. I hope this is the only type of situation I ever need to use my gun it.

Ah-HAH! Agreed!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Animalist!!! That poor innocent raccoon was turning his life around...

Nice shot though.hitting something that small in the dark can't be easy. Can you expand further on the flashlight and sights thing?

I've shot in a dark room a few times during a IDPA match. Holding the light at the right spot so you can see the sights and the target without making the sights too bright isn't as easy as it may seem. After my first darkroom stage (it was really bad as I had never practiced before in that situation) I did a bit of research, took some advice from the other shooters at the match and practiced at home. I found what works for me.

It still took my a few seconds to find that spot when drawing a bead on the coon. Honestly I never figured I'd get a shot as I thought it would have taken off.

My pistol doesn't have night sights either. I do plan on getting them at some point.

You can always try this at home. Use a pitch dark room, hallway, basement etc. MAKE SURE YOU GUN IS UNLOADED AND POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. Just light up a "target" with your light and the try and line up your sights. Move the light around slowly and fine what works best. I'll be practicing more now so it won't take as long.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe its that they are older, or maybe because they are the cheaper ones. But when I shot a night competition with Coach, I found that a temple indexed light (only 85lm) overpowered my tritium and I could no longer see the glow. I could see the paint, but not the glow any longer.

If I had to use my pistol in the dark against an absolutely 110% known bad guy they would work. But if I was lighting up the target (see rule 4) it wouldnt be any better than factory sights.

just food for thought based on what I have found.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a little experience with this, so I'll share some thoughts.

In the last 10 years or so, the technique for using a handheld light with a handgun that has emerged as a "favorite" relies on indexing the light along the support side jawline. That ensures that the light is illuminating where you are looking and also has some other benefits like keeping your support hand near your head for defensive use or just to keep it from wobbling around while you're shooting one-handed. Along the way, someone noticed that is you move the light to a position near your temple or the top of your head or anywhere in between, you get the same benefits as the jaw index, but you get the added advantage that your light illuminates your sights beautifully. You actually get a better sight picture than you can in daylight because you're seeing just the outlines. People who can't focus easily on their front sight in daylight sometimes can see the silhouette of the front sight using this technique really well.

Shameless Commercial Plug: you should consider attending the annual ACT low light class in December. Among other things, you'll get instruction and coaching on using the handheld light while shooting a pistol (multiple techniques... one size does not fit all circumstances) and you'll get do do plenty of live fire practice while using your light.

Animalist!!! That poor innocent raccoon was turning his life around...

Nice shot though.hitting something that small in the dark can't be easy. Can you expand further on the flashlight and sights thing?

I've shot in a dark room a few times during a IDPA match. Holding the light at the right spot so you can see the sights and the target without making the sights too bright isn't as easy as it may seem. After my first darkroom stage (it was really bad as I had never practiced before in that situation) I did a bit of research, took some advice from the other shooters at the match and practiced at home. I found what works for me.

It still took my a few seconds to find that spot when drawing a bead on the coon. Honestly I never figured I'd get a shot as I thought it would have taken off.

My pistol doesn't have night sights either. I do plan on getting them at some point.

You can always try this at home. Use a pitch dark room, hallway, basement etc. MAKE SURE YOU GUN IS UNLOADED AND POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. Just light up a "target" with your light and the try and line up your sights. Move the light around slowly and fine what works best. I'll be practicing more now so it won't take as long.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Was it really necessary to shoot him? Why didnt you just tase him or shoot him in the leg? He had just enrolled in community college to become a brain scientist or rocket surgeon! !!

Top Bottom