• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Yeserday evening I went on a five mile walk down the country road that I live on. All went well until a pit bull came charging towards me while growling and barking. I know that the owner of the property does not have an underground fence, and I also know that animal control took away his last dogs. As a matter of fact, had I known that he obtained new dogs, I would not have gone that route. Anyway, I moved to the far side of the road and drew my pistol - keeping it at my side, but planning on using it the moment the dog reached the center of the road. Luckily, just before the dog reached the edge of the road his owner stuck his head out of his trailer and yelled at the dog, which then proceded to stop. The owner doesn't know how close he was to losing this dog too. It was the first time that I have ever drawn my weapon with the intention of using it, and it was a good feeling knowing that I had it there to help protect me if need be.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    Feels great to be prepared. Story reminded me of when I lived in Gibson county almost 20 years ago. Farmers started selling off small lots of all around the farm house we were renting. In moved the trailors and well,... before long we had large packs of dogs running around causing all kinds of havoc. Early one morning before daylight I went to the barn to feed the horses and heard a deep growl looked up to see bared teeth and hair standing up on a dogs neck. My 3 options were to back away and hope the chase instinct didnt kick in, Move forward and most likely get bit, or option 3 the glock 23 & xtp to its head. Guess what option I chose. Hint: I didnt get bit. Warning regardless of your legal rights, and the distruction of your property and threat of harm to you the neighbors will always always side with dead fido. Causing a less than idea living arangment. I would avoid walking that way to avoid conflict if at all possible.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Good handling of the situation, bud, and nobody and nothing got hurt. Depending on circumstances, I would talk to your neighbor and let him know how close his dog was to being dead on the side of the road. That might provide him with some motivation to train them better or at least lock them up more securely.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    A less lethal option such as a good can of pepper spray might work well so that you don't have to reach first for your gun in similar situations. Having a range of defenses is always good.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeserday evening I went on a five mile walk down the country road that I live on. All went well until a pit bull came charging towards me while growling and barking. I know that the owner of the property does not have an underground fence, and I also know that animal control took away his last dogs. As a matter of fact, had I known that he obtained new dogs, I would not have gone that route. Anyway, I moved to the far side of the road and drew my pistol - keeping it at my side, but planning on using it the moment the dog reached the center of the road. Luckily, just before the dog reached the edge of the road his owner stuck his head out of his trailer and yelled at the dog, which then proceded to stop. The owner doesn't know how close he was to losing this dog too. It was the first time that I have ever drawn my weapon with the intention of using it, and it was a good feeling knowing that I had it there to help protect me if need be.

Been there, done that too, once. But I live on the southeastern corner of Lawrence County. Mine must have seen a gun before though because they calmed down and changed their demeanor once they saw it.

Folks, keep your aggressively barking dogs penned or chained up, even if you live in the country.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just because you bought 2 acres doesn't mean your dog gets to roam 200. If you love 'em, keep 'em home. If they're chasing deer under my tree stand, they'll be MY dog.

Collar with a name on a dog I can get close to gets you one chance to retrieve him.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    A drill I've used for preparing for a dog attack is having a friend drag a 5 gallon bucket from about 7 yards down range (the bucket, not my friend) to simulate the dog charging. It's jerky and bouncy but generally follows a straight line. I would start in the low ready position unless you have trained sufficiently to safely draw from the holster. It's sort of a variation of the Tueller drill. Personally, I would prefer using the less lethal approach on somebody's dog. Only two kinds of dogs; good dogs and better dogs. I hate to see the animal pay the price for poor training. Kind of like some teenagers. Fifteen seconds of us reprimanding them won't undo 15 years of bad parenting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Feels great to be prepared. Story reminded me of when I lived in Gibson county almost 20 years ago. Farmers started selling off small lots of all around the farm house we were renting. In moved the trailors and well,... before long we had large packs of dogs running around causing all kinds of havoc. Early one morning before daylight I went to the barn to feed the horses and heard a deep growl looked up to see bared teeth and hair standing up on a dogs neck. My 3 options were to back away and hope the chase instinct didnt kick in, Move forward and most likely get bit, or option 3 the glock 23 & xtp to its head. Guess what option I chose. Hint: I didnt get bit. Warning regardless of your legal rights, and the distruction of your property and threat of harm to you the neighbors will always always side with dead fido. Causing a less than idea living arangment. I would avoid walking that way to avoid conflict if at all possible.

Growing up around farm folks and spending a lot of time on the family farm I saw many a dog get popped for being in the wrong place. It was the way of things then.
    Pack dogs have always been an issue.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    (Oh, look at this stick I found!)

INGO taught me that a warning shot is an effective way to send it back home.

;)

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Pepper spray or something similar sounds ok,....BUT you need to take into consideration any wind. Even a slight breeze blowing the wrong way could be a big problem for the sprayer and not so much the dog. (Refering to my wife's experience using pepper spray and a German Shepard.)

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Pepper spray or something similar sounds ok,....BUT you need to take into consideration any wind. Even a slight breeze blowing the wrong way could be a big problem for the sprayer and not so much the dog. (Refering to my wife's experience using pepper spray and a German Shepard.)

Streaming spray is a bit better than fogging. You have to aim it a bit better (and as gun owners that should not be a problem for us) and if the wind catches it there is less chance of a blow back towards you (unless it is really, really windy and you are streaming directly into it).

Top Bottom