• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]If You Want to Scare Them, Put On a Mask[/h]
    Clinton A. Smith

I have raised this point before, but given how few people have been shot relative to the number who have been cut, waving guns about does not "scare" some, especially those with hostile intent.

I have told this one before, but it needs to be stated again: When I was teaching at the Wildcat Rifle & Pistol Club, I arrived to find the class on the range demonstrating less than optimal muzzle discipline (waving guns around like pom-poms). I got away from the window and tried to find something solid to rest behind. The class came in and as I waited for my lecture segment to start, I opened a tangelo with my knife (a Spyderco Endura II) and the knife opened with an audible click. The entire class turned about, some started the monkey hoots, and someone called out "be careful."

The lesson here is clear. People do not understand the pain that being shot brings, but everyone understands the pain that a knife may bring as everyone has cut themselves before, usually in the kitchen.

Your pistol is merely a pistol, not a magic wand to vanish fear and anxiety. Training is the answer.

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/view/he-aint-scared

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The scariest sound in the world is not a shotgun being racked, it's the one you don't hear that you needed to.

I spent a couple of years in the Army teaching the silent removal of sentries. It involved killing people with guns using knives and other tools. The gun was not a magic talisman. Waving them like pom-poms would not help.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am reminded of the non-antifa guy at the antifa rally who drew a gun when he was being harassed. At least a couple of the antifa guys, hopped up on crowdthink, dared the guy to shoot.

There are things more powerful than drugs that remove fear and inhibitions from people, including zealotry.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Rule #1 keep your fingers off the Pom poms until you are ready to shake them.
    Rule #2 never wave your Pom Pom at anything you are unwilling to destroy.
    Rule #3 you should look good in a mini skirt to be issued Pom poms.
    Rule #4 there is no rule #4

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    This is a fantastic article. Thanks for sharing! I think there are way too many people who believe that because they have a gun that nobody will mess with them or ever be able to hurt them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    When you have actually killed people with pom-poms, even knives are not so scary.

b33eb84d94453628c1ee461fd0abce77--baby-pomeranian-pomeranian-spitz.jpg

Top Bottom