• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I pocket carry every day. Usually a Sig P938 in a Mika pocket holster. It's been great. But as my son has turned 2, I don't feel as comfortable with it. Especially when he wants to sit on my lap. I use a Remora holster for my LCP, but don't carry that very often.

So I want to try something with kydex that covers the trigger and safety, but is still easy to draw.

Any suggestions from people who have actually carried a pocket kydex holster?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I pocket carry every day. Usually a Sig P938 in a Mika pocket holster. It's been great. But as my son has turned 2, I don't feel as comfortable with it. Especially when he wants to sit on my lap. I use a Remora holster for my LCP, but don't carry that very often.

So I want to try something with kydex that covers the trigger and safety, but is still easy to draw.

Any suggestions from people who have actually carried a pocket kydex holster?

IMHO Alabama Holsters are the best Kydex pocket holsters around. Unlike some on INGO, I believe that pocket carry can be done safely. AS LONG AS some basic safety rules are followed.

Using a Kydex pocket holster is one of the rules that I have. After using several different types of pocket holsters, I believe that Alabama is the best. I am NOT a paid sponcer / advertiser. Just a really happy customer who has owned several holsters from this company.

Pocket Holsters | Alabamaholster.com

I will warn you, they are not a super speedy operation though. It takes a couple of months for them to make and ship your holster to you. But many of the custom holster makers have that same turn time or much worse.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    IMHO Alabama Holsters are the best Kydex pocket holsters around. Unlike some on INGO, I believe that pocket carry can be done safely. AS LONG AS some basic safety rules are followed.

That's interesting. Why do they think it can't be done safely?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood

Using a Kydex pocket holster is one of the rules that I have. After using several different types of pocket holsters, I believe that Alabama is the best. I am NOT a paid sponcer / advertiser. Just a really happy customer who has owned several holsters from this company.

Pocket Holsters | Alabamaholster.com

I will warn you, they are not a super speedy operation though. It takes a couple of months for them to make and ship your holster to you. But many of the custom holster makers have that same turn time or much worse.

I just bought one from Vedder. Pocket Locker - Vedder Holsters

Seems very similar to Alabama.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've always used the DeSantis Nemesis as a pocket holster, and nothing else in that pocket. I've had 0 issues with it

Me too. But I'm interested if someone comes across something better. I carry a shield and depending on which pants I ware it can print pretty bad, especially when I'm sitting. Not sure if Kydex would be a better option than the DeSantis though.

I don't use the safety on my shield anyway so it's not really a big concern that the holster doesn't cover it. But it would be an issue for someone who does have/use a safety.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I just bought one from Vedder. Pocket Locker - Vedder Holsters

Seems very similar to Alabama.

Yes...they do.

The main difference I see is how far the thumb break sticks out. The Vedder seems to have a 90 degree thumb break. My Alabama is more like 45 degree. I wonder if the vedder would have issues with digging into your leg. But I would have to try it to know for sure.

But I am going to add them to my holster company list. It looks like they make good product.

Are you happy with yours? What do you like and no like about it?

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    That's interesting. Why do they think it can't be done safely?

They think that because they have seen others who do not follow safety protocols and end up shooting themselves....or worse....other innocents.

However, if I use the logic that something is unwise because of those who do not follow the safety rules, then logically they should give up all arms and promote a gun free lifestyle. After all, gun owners have shot themselves at the range, at home, using all types of holsters, not using holsters, at work, and many other situations and places.

It is my belief that if you follow these simple rules, then you can also pocket carry safely......

Although I normally agree with Kirk (like the 4 rules are not broken), I have to disagree with Kirk here.

I have also pocket carried for 7-8 years now. It can be done quite successfully if some rules are followed. Just like gun ownership can be safe for everyone if the 4 rules are followed.

So without any more delay...here are my rules of pocket carry

1. NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING else may go into a pocket if a gun or magazine is in that pocket.

Not only can foreign objects in your pocket cause an ND if the trigger is pulled, they can cause malfunctions when you need that gun most. Keep the pocket clean and don't let anything else in there....even girlfriends! :D

I use cargo pants and carry in the regular pockets so the weight of my gun does not beat the crap out of my legs. My cargo pockets keep my keys and other such items. I don't "mistakenly" put items in my carry pockets because I do this all the time, and it is a regular system for me now.

2. All guns must be in a Kydex holster that completely (all the way up to the grip) cover the trigger guard.

I say Kydex because other materials can soften over time, unlike kydex. If you were to bump into the corner of something (like the corner of a metal shelf at a store) and it poked into your pocket area right where the trigger of the gun is...that hard kydex holster would resist a trigger pull far, far better than softer leather or nylon or whatever material is being used. And it MUST cover that trigger guard all the way to the grip to ensure nothing can get behind that holster to push it out of the way and allow the trigger to be pulled. I prefer Alabama Holsters myself for Pocket carry.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

3. Do not coonfinger your gun at any time.

Nuff said. It does not matter what carry system you choose (open, IWB, OWB, Appendix, duct taped to forehead) if you coonfinger your gun, you WILL have a ND and you will very probably injure yourself along with some innocent person. If you feel the need to coonfinger your gun, you should leave your gun at home. Get some training to learn this is not the "one ring to rule them all", and stop acting like gollum. This is a tool and just like a mechanic or tradesman, if you don't know how the use the tool, you will do more harm than good.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yes...they do.

The main difference I see is how far the thumb break sticks out. The Vedder seems to have a 90 degree thumb break. My Alabama is more like 45 degree. I wonder if the vedder would have issues with digging into your leg. But I would have to try it to know for sure.

But I am going to add them to my holster company list. It looks like they make good product.

Are you happy with yours? What do you like and no like about it?

Havent received it yet. Will update once I carry with it for a week or so.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    They think that because they have seen others who do not follow safety protocols and end up shooting themselves....or worse....other innocents.

However, if I use the logic that something is unwise because of those who do not follow the safety rules, then logically they should give up all arms and promote a gun free lifestyle. After all, gun owners have shot themselves at the range, at home, using all types of holsters, not using holsters, at work, and many other situations and places.

It is my belief that if you follow these simple rules, then you can also pocket carry safely......

It was that post about kydex pocket holsters that got me thinking about this. Also having a toddler who can and will stick his hands in my pocket. I need something that protects the trigger.

However, I have carried with the Mika pocket holster for at least 5 years now and have never not felt safe, toddlers notwithstanding.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Just got the Vedder holster. Wore it, even without my gun in it, I know I was going to return it right away. The thumb break DOES dig into your thigh. Just ordered an Alabama.

Top Bottom