65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The most irritating thing to me about the states getting involved in "carry" laws is their desire (in many states) to make it illegal to carry inside a church. It is absolutely none of the state's business what happens in the nexus of concealed carry and churches.

Man shot and killed during Dothan church burglary | Crime Court | dothaneagle.com

You'd have to be from that area to understand. And while I agree, I can say with the utmost confidence laws like that have large public support... even amongst the most die-hard gun owners. It's hard to explain, but it like "we need this law, but no one will really abide by it."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You'd have to be from that area to understand. And while I agree, I can say with the utmost confidence laws like that have large public support... even amongst the most die-hard gun owners. It's hard to explain, but it like "we need this law, but no one will really abide by it."

I can see two contributing factors: First, too many people believe that the church building is a magic talisman that evil can't cross. Second, a good many people have a fixation on not sullying their place of worship with something so uncivilized as potentially deadly weapons and fail to understand that the other side will have no such compunctions.

Court records indicate Tolver pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery in January of 2011 and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. It is not immediately known how much of his sentence was served.

Apparently less than half of it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can see two contributing factors: First, too many people believe that the church building is a magic talisman that evil can't cross. Second, a good many people have a fixation on not sullying their place of worship with something so uncivilized as potentially deadly weapons and fail to understand that the other side will have no such compunctions.

Well, yeah, but it's deeper than that. People WILL carry guns in church. It's ok to carry in church, just not to be caught carrying in church. If that makes any sense. Ok, maybe this will make more sense. There are a LOT of Baptists in the Wiregrass. Baptists look down their noses at people who drink. I don't know very many Baptists that don't drink.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, yeah, but it's deeper than that. People WILL carry guns in church. It's ok to carry in church, just not to be caught carrying in church. If that makes any sense. Ok, maybe this will make more sense. There are a LOT of Baptists in the Wiregrass. Baptists look down their noses at people who drink. I don't know very many Baptists that don't drink.

It's not a sin to do it, but it's a sin to get caught doing it!

My question is .....

WHAT are you doing at Church, at 10:40 pm ?????

There are a number of good reasons. I have found myself at church that late with special activities which happen to run/be scheduled late, working on something, and even (with church being in a remote location) on the way by and being in great need of the lavatory (sometimes that key comes in handy in a number of ways).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Our church has a 24 hour chapel, where people are praying literally every hour of the day.

Even in Carmel, I am aware of people carrying during those late hours and at regular mass.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The most irritating thing to me about the states getting involved in "carry" laws is their desire (in many states) to make it illegal to carry inside a church. It is absolutely none of the state's business what happens in the nexus of concealed carry and churches.

Man shot and killed during Dothan church burglary | Crime Court | dothaneagle.com

It's absurd that a state believes it has the power to regulate gun possession in churches, whether the people want the government to do it or not.

It's equally absurd when the state believes it has the power to regulate gun possession in schools that owned and operated by churches, whether the people want the government to do it or not.

Our church has a 24 hour chapel, where people are praying literally every hour of the day.

Even in Carmel, I am aware of people carrying during those late hours and at regular mass.

My parish as a vibe of "don't let anyone know, because someone will pitch a fit." Much to my dismay, chagrin, and deep disappointment, there were a lot of Obama-Biden stickers on bumpers in the parking lot in 2008 and 2012. Not sure how they rectified that support in their brain with the religion and faith they claimed to profess, but then I believe their real religion and faith is their politics and their party.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I know people up here that are avid gun owners but believe you "just shouldn't" carry a gun in the sactuary. Presumably, they'd be ok with it at a fellowship supper or some other function outside the sactuary.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It's absurd that a state believes it has the power to regulate gun possession[STRIKE] in churches, whether the people want the government to do it or not.

It's equally absurd when the state believes it has the power to regulate gun possession in schools that owned and operated by churches, whether the people want the government to do it or not.[/STRIKE]

FIFY

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

Two things a Baptist never recognizes :
    A. Papal authority.
    B: Another Baptist in the liquor store.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry at church every week. I choose to conceal, not out of shame though. I figure people are there to worship and OC would be a distraction for some and I'd rather not make myself the focus of church. With such a large group of people not paying attention to their surroundings during worship or prayer it seems foolish for me to not carry at church.

Top Bottom