• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Just a public service announcement, more than anything...

On Sunday August 6th, 2017 at 1:26 am, one of my outdoor cameras detected this individual attempting to gain entry into my truck . Thankfully my vehicle doors were locked and I don't keep anything valuable in the truck that would have tempted him to break glass.

First video: Arrival of suspect and passenger door check.
    https://youtu.be/_M6-Xj4TGP0

Second video: Driver's door check and departure
    https://youtu.be/SoCV552t6_Q

I called Hamilton Co Sheriff around 6am that morning and filed a report. I also handed over video to the officer.

Stay safe everyone!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I had two outdoor flood fixtures, each of which houses 2 120W halogen bulbs. Plus I illuminate the area with IR for the camera. It was well lit...I'm surprised that he chose to come onto my property. I'm guessing he was hoping for a quick grab-and-go, since the vehicle is relatively close to the sidewalk/street.

I think he got spooked when he detected the car coming westbound on the street. As he saw the oncoming car, he left without checking the rear driver's door.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had two outdoor flood fixtures, each of which houses 2 120W halogen bulbs. Plus I illuminate the area with IR for the camera. It was well lit...I'm surprised that he chose to come onto my property. I'm guessing he was hoping for a quick grab-and-go, since the vehicle is relatively close to the sidewalk/street.

I think he got spooked when he detected the car coming westbound on the street. As he saw the oncoming car, he left without checking the rear driver's door.

Interesting that he'd so brazenly test your car when it's well lit. Maybe people like that figure you won't wake when they enter the vehicle as easily as you would if they tried the house?

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Dude's wearing a zip-up, gloves, and a hat. Obviously planned to get something from someone. Have you spoken with your neighbors about this yet?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    This definitely wasn't his first rodeo. He was prepped to take something, as you point out Anima mundi, and skillfully kept his face obscured with the ballcap.

Not many folks live around us, but I am in the process of contacting people in the vicinity. We live near the Hamilton Town Center mall, which has been good for property values, but bad as it relates to increased car/foot traffic.

I strongly dislike thieves. Hope he never comes back.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good post hamm---BUT???

"I don't keep anything valuable in the truck that would have tempted him to break glass."

^^^Here is the "Problem"--To lock, or to NOT lock??

As a retired Auto Tech, I have seen more glass broke, lock cyls. pried out of doors/trunk, and in general, MAJOR damage done to vehicles from Thugs looking for something to steal. Usually the thieves got no more than console change, old gas cans, etc.

Both of my Sons had glass broken, only to steal a $20.00 radio out of the dash??
    This caused me $$$ on parts for new glass, dash repair, etc.
    Also dash repairs due to LOCKED dash glove box.

For ME...When my kids were driving $500.00 cars, with $500.00 deductible insurance, with NOTHING of value inside to steal, I would advise them to NOT lock the doors/glove box..

As always--Each to his own...Bill.

PS: HA HA HA...All 4 of my Kids NOW drive better cars=College done+GREAT jobs obtained...

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have had a couple incidents. First one my wife didn't close the garage and my unlocked Chevy Blazer was in it that night
    , second time was my Ford Taurus in the drive both unlocked at the time I know my fault.
    So how many times do the thieves try my locked cars?
    I have found blue and purple nitrile glove pieces ripped on my door handle area a few times.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    LOCKed for me. While I keep visible items out of view and have an aftermarket locking center console I still have too much stuff (hidden) that I don't want someone taking or rummaging through. Another benefit/deterrent is most locked cars also have alarms. Had a window broken out while overnight at my mechanic's, annoying but only lost a trailer ball.

Theives Suck!

So how many times do the thieves try my locked cars?
    I have found blue and purple nitrile glove pieces ripped on my door handle area a few times.

Street parking I have seen hoodlums walking down the street checking handles for unlocked doors. If locked they just keep on going for an easier target. Having witnessed this a few times reinforces my decision to lock. To each his own.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last year a neighbor had a shady (to put it mildly) relative visiting. Curiously during that time period, someone tried to get into my truck (unsuccessfully). It's good that no one had to get hurt.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Excellent cameras! Glad the thief left empty handed. I'd be willing to bet one of your neighbors has something missing.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Years ago, some genius broke the beer window out of my old F-150 to steal a very cheap radio, and, you guessed it, both doors were unlocked! The stupidity of it is funny now, but I was really pissed at the time.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    hammerd13 - At least you know this is NOT someone you know. Because anyone who knows you and has seen you shoot (or do jiu-jitsu) would understand that there are safer places to steal from.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    hammerd13 - At least you know this is NOT someone you know. Because anyone who knows you and has seen you shoot (or do jiu-jitsu) would understand that there are safer places to steal from.

Roger that!

I don't want to necessarily hurt anybody, but theft (or attempted theft) really gets under my skin. It runs contrary to values I've held dear forever. There is just something about an opportunistic, lazy individual taking something someone else worked hard for that disgusts me.

Ironically, I got up that morning at around 6am to go install a security camera for my Dad! Slight delay in that effort, while I had a chat with the Hamilton Co Sherrif, but we got it done.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm surprised that someone willing to steal from a vehicle would be dettered by locked doors.
    Breaking the window to get access to the vehicle would take the same amount of time and would be just as illegal and risky.

I've seen people break into vehicles while the owner was in the car with the engine running and door locked.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My wife had an Alfa Romeo Milano, it was parked in a guarded lot in NY, doors unlocked. They still broke out the windows to get inside and nobody saw 'nutin. It was probably the guard.

Top Bottom