"He wanted my gun, so I gave it to him." A case of lead poisoning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's Tuesday afternoon in Detroit.

My buddy Peter, who lives on Gross Ile, was telling me that one of the trainers up there has a 80% average of students who have been in gunfights, frickin' 8 out of 10. Legally Armed in Detroit or something like that???

A particular segment of that SES is at the tip of the spear and in continual contact, thus they will likely get sporty.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Easy to Monday morning quarterback, but it seems really odd to let him pick his gun back up while you're standing there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any idea if he was carrying openly or just concealing poorly?

It's tough to say for certain given the quality of the video and the tv channel banner covering part of it but I think he's either pocket carry or OC at about the 2 o'clock position. At first I thought he was reaching in his pocket, but at 1:48 you see what appears to be a retention strap above his belt after he starts to spin on the attacker. I don't see any moving of the hem of his shirt before the draw, but that could still be pocket carry or OC. Whatever that strap is, it's connected to him as it doesn't appear until he draws and then it moves with him, so it's not in the background.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's tough to say for certain given the quality of the video and the tv channel banner covering part of it but I think he's either pocket carry or OC at about the 2 o'clock position. At first I thought he was reaching in his pocket, but at 1:48 you see what appears to be a retention strap above his belt after he starts to spin on the attacker. I don't see any moving of the hem of his shirt before the draw, but that could still be pocket carry or OC. Whatever that strap is, it's connected to him as it doesn't appear until he draws and then it moves with him, so it's not in the background.

I don't think open carry is very common in Michigan.

Datum:
    when I have open carried away from the range at big matches in southern Indiana, the people who consistently freaked out about seeing my gun were all from Michigan. Based on that, I assume that open carry is atypical in our neighbor state.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Datum: when I have open carried away from the range at big matches in southern Indiana, the people who consistently freaked out about seeing my gun were all from Michigan. Based on that, I assume that open carry is atypical in our neighbor state.
    I can't imagine what they would think if they were to see you with a knife :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That strap is probably one of these or similar.

VanGuard 2 - Lanyard Kit - Raven Concealment Systems

The only way I would even consider pocket carrying without a true holster. Something's gotta protect that trigger.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Any idea if he was carrying openly or just concealing poorly?

Article says, "a 16-year-old boy armed with a gun saw that Summers was also armed, and the teen tried to take his weapon."

But you never know if these news folks get the facts right or not.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't think open carry is very common in Michigan.

Datum:
    when I have open carried away from the range at big matches in southern Indiana, the people who consistently freaked out about seeing my gun were all from Michigan. Based on that, I assume that open carry is atypical in our neighbor state.

I spend quite a bit of time in MI. Granted most is behind the wheel but I've been out in public quite a bit too.

I rarely see OC. You can OC in MI without being licensed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Looks like the older gentleman:

1. Engaged the perp in conversation to distract him and occupy his mind.
    2. Drew surreptitiously.
    3. Waited for a leverage point and jumped on it.

Well played.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    He also stated he had never fired a gun before.

Based on the fact that he has a Michigan CPL, which requires a training course (that has a 3 hour/30 round range component) to get, I assume that he meant he had never fired a gun before taking his training course.

This is pretty common. In Illinois, when I took the course for my FCCL, there were several people in the class who had never fired a gun before. In my case, I had only fired a handgun ONCE almost 20 years earlier. All other previous training involved 22lr single shot and bolt action rifles.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It could have been he misspoke. He may have meant to say he meant to save his (own) life.

It's possible, but I think he meant what he said. I've heard very similar from parents who've turned in a child on more than one occasion. They believe if the person they are turning in were to keep robbing people, it's only a matter of time until they are killed doing it. I suspect he means by injuring him and causing him to be caught, he is no longer out robbing people and subject to being killed while doing so.

Top Bottom