• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I just read on an Illinois gun forum that there was someone who is an instructor telling Indiana residents they could take an Illinois CCW class. That is technically true, Indiana residents can take the class but Illinois will not accept CCW applications from Indiana residents. So you will end up with a nice diploma you can't use. Illinois may change that sometime in the future but it won't be the near future. Jim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just read on an Illinois gun forum that there was someone who is an instructor telling Indiana residents they could take an Illinois CCW class. That is technically true, Indiana residents can take the class but Illinois will not accept CCW applications from Indiana residents. So you will end up with a nice diploma you can't use. Illinois may change that sometime in the future but it won't be the near future. Jim.

Do you think the person in question is doing this intentionally, or they are just ignorant of the facts?

Neither of those are good!

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    If you live in IN and take all the requirements and then get denied for residency do you think you can sue? Serious question I really would like to see IL pay more money to the NRA

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Illinois only allows nonresident permits to residents of states with "substantially similar" permit laws. Indiana does not qualify because we do not have a training requirement.

Sue if you want to, but the law is clear.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Do you think the person in question is doing this intentionally, or they are just ignorant of the facts?

Neither of those are good!

Don't know, could be either and I did not hear it first hand so may not even be true. I did think it was worth a few minutes of my time to inform my Indiana friends what the situation is and remind them how screwed up Illinois is. Jim.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The thread is a good reminder for those uninformed with the Illinois laws. I am always amazed as to whenever illinois gun laws are mentioned how many people chime in with information that is years outdated. Months after the laws changed several of my friends against my advice took a class offered by a gun shop that was then located In Cedar Lake. The shop assured them that they would be able to get an Illinois license. There was no way that that shop had any business implying that my friends would be able to get an Illinois license but my friends fell for the BS and were out a few hundred each. That shop will never get a dime of my money or another dime from any of those guys but there is a sucker born every minute and someone waiting to take advantage of them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Been a while since I checked into this but my understanding is that IL requires 16 hours of training. 8 hours of this could be taken out of state. For example NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Personal Protection in the Home could be taken in Indiana and be used for 8 of the 16 hour requirement. Still doesn't mean that an IN resident can apply but if the laws change at least some of the training requirement will have been met. As cheap and accessible as these classes are in IN it makes sense to spend one day and complete the course.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Actually none of the training has to be done in Illinois. Vert is correct that NRA basic pistol will count as eight of the 16 hours training. Veterans also receive eight hours credit with their DD-214, The Utah course and a couple others are good for four hours credit. But no matter how much previous training you have had you can only claim eight hours total credit. The other eight hours must be an approved course taught by an Illinois certified instructor, but the location does not matter. Jim.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Actually none of the training has to be done in Illinois. Vert is correct that NRA basic pistol will count as eight of the 16 hours training. Veterans also receive eight hours credit with their DD-214, The Utah course and a couple others are good for four hours credit. But no matter how much previous training you have had you can only claim eight hours total credit. The other eight hours must be an approved course taught by an Illinois certified instructor, but the location does not matter. Jim.

Does every course/instructor who offers an IL approved course need to submit their curriculum? For example I have seen NRA Basic Pistol/PPITH followed by PPOTH listed as IL approved. That would make sense because there is legal discussion involved. I would assume USCCA or 2nd admendment foundation courses would be similar. What is involved in being IL certified?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Well I am a certified instructor and there wasn't that much involved, you had to be a LEO instructor or NRA instructor. After that just fingerprints and background check. Ever if you have taken NRA BP, PPITH and PPOTH along with being a veteran you can still only use eight hours training credit. The second eight hours must be an Illinois approved course that covers the Illinois specific CCW laws. It must include transportation, safe harbor in parking lots and the 23 types of "no carry" zones and other regulations.
    When I started I bought a program for the second eight hours using NRA BP or veteran status for the first eight. After teaching a while I decided this did not cover what I felt should be covered. I then submitted my own course and had it approved by the ISP and began teaching that. Hope this clears things up for you. Jim.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Well I am a certified instructor and there wasn't that much involved, you had to be a LEO instructor or NRA instructor. After that just fingerprints and background check. Ever if you have taken NRA BP, PPITH and PPOTH along with being a veteran you can still only use eight hours training credit. The second eight hours must be an Illinois approved course that covers the Illinois specific CCW laws. It must include transportation, safe harbor in parking lots and the 23 types of "no carry" zones and other regulations.
    When I started I bought a program for the second eight hours using NRA BP or veteran status for the first eight. After teaching a while I decided this did not cover what I felt should be covered. I then submitted my own course and had it approved by the ISP and began teaching that. Hope this clears things up for you. Jim.

I assume you mean you an IL State certified instructor, which I am, too. Got the certification early on, and it was a real pain in the southbound, only to discover the carry permit would not be available to Indiana residents. To date, I have certified precisely one person, who lives in the Chicago area but visits a friend in Fort Wayne, frequently.
    Illinois is the La-La Land of Lincoln and is even more so now that Hussein's birthday is a state holiday.

Top Bottom