• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    My wife and I are currently in the process of becoming foster parents. There is no clear law on the books, to my knowledge, regarding carrying a handgun while having foster children. Yet, DCS says they have a rule that you can not carry while having foster children in the home. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was under the impression that the law was written so no one could supersede state law, especially a state entity such as DCS. Thanks for any guidance.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I've seen a few of these about a grandfather in MI who was being forced to choose between his rights and fostering his grandchild. It is messed up.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yet, DCS says they have a rule...

Make them give you a copy of the rule in writing.

Much like the manager of your local store many rules are just made up on the fly because they want to impose their beliefs on others and think being able to tie a tie and wear a Managers badge gives them magic powers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Assuming such a rule exists, it would be an interesting research project to determine whether conditioning eligibility as a foster family on foregoing firearms rights. At first blush, it would seem to run afoul of preemption, but making such a determination would take more specifics and actual research.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    There is no law and no rule. I foster and openly carry in front of DCS employees.

They will either cite the authority of their claim or back down when challenged.

Oh yeah ...challenge everything. ;)

Blessings in your endeavors. :yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Preemption does not apply to State entities. Only local governments. State departments/boards/commissions/universities can still have rules in addition to State law. Most are defined in AIC.

Here are their rules:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T04650/A00020.PDF?

(c) Firearms and other weapons:
    (1) Foster parents shall be in compliance with state and local laws with regard to firearms.
    (2) Firearms, including BB guns and air guns, shall be unloaded and locked up in the foster family home to preventunauthorized use. Ammunition and projectiles,such as arrows, or other items which can be used to make a weapon operable,shall be locked separately from the weapon.
    (3) Foster children shall not be given access to firearms or other weapons unless approved by the department for educationalor recreational purposes

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    So... DCS has the legal authority to circumvent your constitutional rights? The cited code does not say you cannot carry with a valid permit, it says you must comply with state and local laws and keep weapons out of access to foster children. I would think you could easily comply with those requirements and challenge their statement.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We went through this in 2008. I had to buy a seperate safe for my ammo. That was it. We passed the home inspection. I was making sure I was to follow all of the rules so I asked a bunch of questions. Things may have changed since then.

3 weeks later we found out we were having a baby of our own so we didn't finish the entire process.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The social worker has the authority of a false god,

To become a social worker you need to study sociogogy in a liberal college.

nobody_special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    South Bend
    All I can say is good luck to you..
    DCS can implement any policy they see fit in the best interest of the children they can't implement a policy that only Chevy drivers can be foster parents but they can implement a policy that foster homes have to be smoke free..
    My wife and I fostered for St Joe Co DCS for two years hated every minute of it there was so much infighting and it used to be before the internet that the foster parents couldn't be found unless followed but the foster parents names are disclosed to the biological parents and a quick Google and they pretty much got ya.. I think there was a homicide in Lake Co in Gary or near there where the biological parent murdered the foster parents or maybe just shot them and fled with the kids

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have a good friend in illi6 that had their 3 foster kids removed. Long story, basically they are Christian and their social demi-god is anti-Christian.

Their adoption was supposed tobefinal earlier this year, but he blocked it and told the kids he would never let it happen.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Update since I posted in this thread 2 weeks ago:

There is a new Foster Parent Safety Agreement Regarding Firearms and Other Weapons which showed up in a packet of applicant/renewal paperwork which I had never seen and certainly never signed before.

It includes the language from 465 IAC 2-1.5-10 as posted above and another new expectation to secure firearms in a vehicle's locked trunk, glove box or other locked box (not applicable to LEO) when traveling with foster children.

I have spoken with two different DCS folks so far and another should be contacting me today.

I will not agree to abide by this new "regulation" as they are calling it ...nor will I drop it.

Will update after next conversation.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Update since I posted in this thread 2 weeks ago:

There is a new Foster Parent Safety Agreement Regarding Firearms and Other Weapons which showed up in a packet of applicant/renewal paperwork which I had never seen and certainly never signed before.

It includes the language from 465 IAC 2-1.5-10 as posted above and another new expectation to secure firearms in a vehicle's locked trunk, glove box or other locked box (not applicable to LEO) when traveling with foster children.

I have spoken with two different DCS folks so far and another should be contacting me today.

I will not agree to abide by this new "regulation" as they are calling it ...nor will I drop it.

Will update after next conversation.

Did you ever have that conversation ?

Top Bottom