• ...and so much more!
  • Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I used to have a Virginia non-resident. It was back before Ohio recognized Indiana's. I did another online test to qualify, because at the time, it was offered free. The training is cheaper, but if I remember correctly, the licensing fees were more in the long run.

Another option that I considered was Florida. What might make it appealing is that the required training is much easier to qualify. Any firearms training works.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I used to have a Virginia non-resident. It was back before Ohio recognized Indiana's. I did another online test to qualify, because at the time, it was offered free. The training is cheaper, but if I remember correctly, the licensing fees were more in the long run.

Another option that I considered was Florida. What might make it appealing is that the required training is much easier to qualify. Any firearms training works.

VA is $100 for the first 5 years and this course was $20. Florida is an option and is good for 7 years but I did not see any online training.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    VA is $100 for the first 5 years and this course was $20. Florida is an option and is good for 7 years but I did not see any online training.

The IN DNR offers an online hunter ed course which qualifies.
    https://www.hunter-ed.com/indiana/

Acceptable Training Documentation / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

On the Florida webpage, it looks like just about any training works if done by an NRA certified instructor. Even participation in an organized shooting sport. So if you have ever shot IDPA, USPSA, or something similar, that would work.

And don't forget this.
    Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Update. The Indiana hunter's online course does NOT qualify as training since it does not contain a live fire component. I spoke with a representative of the Florida dept of agriculture an consumer services who oversee permits and he told me that any training must include live fire. It just means I will have to pay for a course to prove I know gun safety.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Update. The Indiana hunter's online course does NOT qualify as training since it does not contain a live fire component. I spoke with a representative of the Florida dept of agriculture an consumer services who oversee permits and he told me that any training must include live fire. It just means I will have to pay for a course to prove I know gun safety.

That seems a bit strange, considering that people on this website have used the regular and the online IN hunter safety course to qualify, and neither have a live fire component. And there is nothing in FL law that requires a live fire component.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    That seems a bit strange, considering that people on this website have used the regular and the online IN hunter safety course to qualify, and neither have a live fire component. And there is nothing in FL law that requires a live fire component.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

He used this from the application instructions as the logic.

PLEASE NOTE: Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course, any firearms safety or training course
    or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public
    institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certifie d b y th e Nationa l Rif le Associatio n, the
    Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, or any firearms
    training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle
    Association must include live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in Section 790.001, Florida Statutes, in the
    physical presence of an instructor.

This is from question #6 on the instruction sheet and he said they would check to see if Indiana requires a live fire component. I looked up the 790.001 referenced and it simply is giving the definition of a firearm as best I can tell.

I'm not a lawyer and all I can do is report what I was told. My fear is that if I use the hunter ed course and they reject it, what recourse do I have. I'm in no position to argue with the state of Florida.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    That assumes someone was in the military. The last statistic I read was that less than 8% of Americans have been in the military.

I find this interesting. Half of the people I hang with are ex military. I suppose if you dilute them with spouses and children, the numbers run true.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    He used this from the application instructions as the logic.

PLEASE NOTE: Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course, any firearms safety or training course
    or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public
    institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certifie d b y th e Nationa l Rif le Associatio n, the
    Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, or any firearms
    training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle
    Association must include live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in Section 790.001, Florida Statutes, in the
    physical presence of an instructor.

This is from question #6 on the instruction sheet and he said they would check to see if Indiana requires a live fire component. I looked up the 790.001 referenced and it simply is giving the definition of a firearm as best I can tell.

I'm not a lawyer and all I can do is report what I was told. My fear is that if I use the hunter ed course and they reject it, what recourse do I have. I'm in no position to argue with the state of Florida.

I did a bit more checking into the FL statutes, and they do have a live fire requirement for certain types. Those are spelled out in the statute I linked. I bolded the section that requires it for the certain ones, and the sections for which it is required. A hunter ed/safety course is not one of the ones that require it.

[SIZE=-1](h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;[/SIZE]

The more I read this the blurb above is almost word for word from the line that starts below the hunter ed line in the acceptable training documents.
    This makes me wonder if Timjoebillybob is right. It seems odd that they mention every other thing almost verbatim but don't mention hunter ed by name.

Acceptable Training Documentation / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

I'm not guaranteeing that I'm right, but I would probably lay odds on it. And as I have stated, there are people on this site that have used the in person and the online IN hunter ed class and FL accepted it.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I finally got some time yesterday and I printed out everything and highlighted the sections. I then called the person I had spoke with and left him a message that I thought he may be mistaken about the live fire element.

About an hour later he called me back and sounding somewhat annoyed, proceeded to read me the entire section where it states "A person who conducts a course etc etc..." I patently waited for him to finish and I said "I understand but the code actually says subparagraph 2, 3, and 7 but the hunter ed portion is under paragraph 1". His whole demeanor changed and he said "I see what you are saying". Basically he agreed but he was going to take it to his manager and get back to me.

I did not hear from him today but I am going to push this until I get a satisfactory answer. It is plain as day to me once I got the code in front of me that the hunter ed from Indiana qualifies.

Thanks to Timjoebillybob for pointing this out to me.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Has anyone ever done an online course to get a non-resident permit?

I would rather have Utah but I stumbled across this page today and it seems like an easy way to get a Virginia non-resident permit.

The main state I want is Nevada so I am seriously thinking of doing this.

https://www.concealed-carry.net/take-the-class.php

No, but i did Virginia's online course to get a resident's permit. It was not difficult at all.

Top Bottom