• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    So I have had OCD since childhood and I'm applying for my license to carry now.
    The application asks for "documentation/recommendation from treating mental health professional or treatment center." I'm going to ask my doctor for this at my next checkup, but what exactly does this "documentation/recommendation" need to include? If anyone has any experience in what exactly I need to ask my doctor to provide, I'd appreciate some help.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    For curiosity's sake, why would it be bad to ask the ISP? Is it a "If you ask them, then they'll know even if you don't have to tell them" or something?
    With do all respect, in my experience most LEO don't know the law when it comes to firearms.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I think, becsuse it would put you on their radar to deny.

Maybe it would. I don't see it being any different than putting it on there than it would be to ask and not have it be necessary. The same risk of being denied either way. I also don't see some random person answering a question for the ISP is going to take any info down just to deny that person's application. It's not like a person can't get a BS email address that has no connection to the person and ask a question, if there is a huge fear of being denied for asking a question.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    With do all respect, in my experience most LEO don't know the law when it comes to firearms.

Fair enough. I was just curious as to why asking would be a bad thing. I wasn't making any judgements. Like I said, I was just curious. My thinking was that, as the ISP is the agency that looks into LTCH applications, they would be the ones to ask.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    So I have had OCD since childhood and I'm applying for my license to carry now.
    The application asks for "documentation/recommendation from treating mental health professional or treatment center." I'm going to ask my doctor for this at my next checkup, but what exactly does this "documentation/recommendation" need to include? If anyone has any experience in what exactly I need to ask my doctor to provide, I'd appreciate some help.

As someone who stupidly took a literalist approach and checked "yeah" on the form because of years-prior anxiety treatment I can tell you what will happen. Your application will sit on the bottom of the pile for about six weeks and you will email or call ISP to get an update. You will be told it's still in review, two to four more weeks will pass, and upon inquiring again you'll be told you're denied. The week after, you will get the denial paperwork in the mail. You will mail in your formal appeal and the timeline for scheduling a formal hearing will be ignored, and a week after that, your pink card will magically appear in the mail.

Save both yourself and the ISP the time and headache and just ignore that portion of the form. They're not looking for you, they're looking for antisocial and pathological personalities. Think of it like the prohibited possessor questions on the 4473.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless your OCD manifest itself in the compulsion to always pull the trigger exactly three times, I wouldn't worry about it.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    As someone who stupidly took a literalist approach and checked "yeah" on the form because of years-prior anxiety treatment I can tell you what will happen. Your application will sit on the bottom of the pile for about six weeks and you will email or call ISP to get an update. You will be told it's still in review, two to four more weeks will pass, and upon inquiring again you'll be told you're denied. The week after, you will get the denial paperwork in the mail. You will mail in your formal appeal and the timeline for scheduling a formal hearing will be ignored, and a week after that, your pink card will magically appear in the mail.

Save both yourself and the ISP the time and headache and just ignore that portion of the form. They're not looking for you, they're looking for antisocial and pathological personalities. Think of it like the prohibited possessor questions on the 4473.

Had this exact thing happen to my girlfriend when she applied after she wrote that she had taken anti-depressants in the past(that weren't to treat depression in the first place, they are used sometimes to treat ADD). She got denied, filed for an appeal and got doc's paperwork and then magically the pink card showed up without ever going into the appeals stage.

nobody_special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    South Bend
    I wouldn't put that down it's really irrelevant, they are questioning more as to whether you are schizophrenic or suffer from depression or anger management issues not as to whether you feel the need to unload and load your firearm six times before you pull the trigger.. jmo

Top Bottom