Men's concealed carry with tucked-in shirts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    I am normally always dressed with tucked-in shirts.
    Advice or links to answers already posted about best ways/holsters for good concealment and gun access?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Most of the IWB holsters I've looked at (for purchase, I've seen a number that didn't have it) have a gap between the clip and the body of the holster that allows for the tucking in of a shirt (between the belt+clip and the holster). I'd say that's the big factor and beyond that, finding whatever is comfortable for you and then practicing your draw. BlackArchHolsters.com and N82tactical.com both have options that would work.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was always a tucked in shirt guy, always. Now, other than business and church, I got over it. I still feel slouchy at times, but so what. I still dress better than a lot of people.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wear a sports coat or jacket over it. That gives you great concealment and ease of access in any situation other than seat belted in.

Next up, a tuckable holster as mentioned. It's slower and requires more motion to draw and get a firing grip, so you do lose some access.

Next, pocket carry. It doesn't work for everyone and with all clothing. It sucks to access sitting down, but is easy standing and also mimics compliance in the event of a robbery. Use a holster that doesn't shift, and its easy to get a consistent firing grip.

Next, the "non-traditional" holsters. The "Smart Carry", something like a kangaroo pouch you wear behind your belt that leaves your gun mid-line behind your fly. With the right build and pants, concealment is excellent. Access is slowed, though, and two hands drawing is preferred (one to move the waistband of your pants, one to draw). String holsters

And, finally, a modern "string holster" like this: https://www.sobmanswag.com/collecti...s/s-o-b-deep-concealed-holster-glock-19-23-32

Concealable, reasonable access, very tough to holster back up in a hurry and may allow some migration of the pistol depending on body type and clothing. It doesn't always lend itself to a consistent draw.

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    Thanks for the great recommendations everyone!
    After a morning's worth of internet "research", I'm going to try the N82 tuckable compact (thanks IndyTom).

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I use an Alien gear IWB 3.0 and it allows me to tuck my dress shirt in and is completely invisible to the untrained eye. The negative is (as mentioned here) that drawing takes a little more movement then I prefer but I practice a lot in this configuration to help with clearing the shirt and getting a good grip all in a short period of time. I prefer other carry methods like a sport coat or some other garment over my holster but I don't always have that opportunity so I recommend that if you are going to carry with a shirt tucked in, I'd practice drawing that gun, especially making sure you can get the shirt clear or you are going to have some issues.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for the great recommendations everyone!
    After a morning's worth of internet "research", I'm going to try the N82 tuckable compact (thanks IndyTom).

I used the N82 Tuckable for a while and liked it a lot, especially the fact that there's only one belt clip left showing.

I would recommend looking at the hard sided professional model if it's available for your pistol. I had the standard with the stretchy material and it collapses after you draw the gun. It made one-handed reholstering impossible and practicing the draw stroke was a real pain.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I bought a N82 Tuckable for my Shield and I hated it from the start. Maybe it's my body type, but it just doesn't work for me. So it sits in a drawer practically brand new.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought a N82 Tuckable for my Shield and I hated it from the start. Maybe it's my body type, but it just doesn't work for me. So it sits in a drawer practically brand new.
    The wife is starting to complain about my accumulation of holsters. She sees them for sale at the gun shows (those boxes for $5-10) and calculates the loss in her head....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Depending on your carry weapon, the Galco Sky Ops is a great option in tuckable holsters. The clip is very unobtrusive, and the holster is very comfortable.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally found that if I have to tuck the shirt in that appendix is where it's at for me. I've used a Dale Fricke Archangle in the past but wasn't super happy with it (when tucking in a shirt) and stumbled upon the t-rex arms sidecar. I can get a glock 19 and an extra mag hidden with a shirt tucked in and no one notices. I have no problem pulling the shirt up out of the way and getting a good clean draw either. It's an option for sure.

If you are very concerned about someone seeing the clips or loops on a holster for some reason, John Lovell has a couple videos going over a holster that clips in very tight to your pants behind your belt so no one can see it. He demos it in dress clothes and it seems effective as well (I don't have experience with it though), that is something that interests you, he and the holster video can be found on youtube.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    CompTac Mtac with the velcro clips and a velcro lined belt. Very comfortable and well made holster. The velcro clips make it almost completely invisible.

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    I would recommend looking at the hard sided professional model if it's available for your pistol. I had the standard with the stretchy material and it collapses after you draw the gun. It made one-handed reholstering impossible and practicing the draw stroke was a real pain.

This is all terrific feedback from everyone! Lots to consider.

I thought about the rigidity (or lack thereof) after drawing. Something I'll have to pay attention to.

I guess I'm mainly going for maximum comfort that I can get. I'm a larger body-type, so having something a little more flexible if I move the gun to a car holster during driving, for example, will have the empty belted holster less intrusive.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If you can't have a clip or 2 showing, go ankle. I use a shield 9mm in a galco ankle glove, then wear tall thick socks tucked over everything but the grip, rear sight and button. This makes the terrible ankle strap obsolete.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I swear by Mitch Rosen.
    I have bought 3 of his holsters (3 different guns).

2 of them have been the "workman" model.
    Allows your shirt to be tucked in.
    Downside, they are a bit pricey.
    Upside, you order them as you want them. They make them to order. You're not just getting something off the shelf.
    Downside, you have to wait, because they have to make it for you.

(not my photo)
    2445216056_727109a863_b.jpg

Top Bottom