Statistician finds out common sense gun control makes no sense...in Wash Post!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin....html?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.5362bbe37b75
    Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

RTWT.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am honestly shocked to see this published by The Washington Post, opinion page or not. This is a great link to share. It's not too long or full of wonky stats. It's easy to understand, even for those ignorant of guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Another useful article that breaks down major mass shootings since Sandy Hook. Analysis found that no current or proposed gun law would have stopped any of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...otings-would-have-been-prevented-by-gun-laws/

In having this very conversation with a few people I used to think were switched on the responses I get when using this logic..."Lawless people will not follow the law" are dumbfounding. The main one is...."Well, we have to do something"
    No amount of factual argument will sway them from this emotionally charged mind set.

Edit....And I meant it when I said "Used" to think they were switched on.

Last edited:

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    50+ people were murdered. I've not heard a single word about making murder more illegal or another law about making shooting out a room into crowds of people more illegal. Why you might ask? Because although both are preposterous, more laws would not have stopped this, no matter the law.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Saw that too in my morning perusal of the news on my way to my email. I too was shocked that someone would admit that in this day and age, especially right after an event like LV. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it but I'd buy that guy a drink if the opportunity arose.

Top Bottom