• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Todd Ringle-Indiana State Police
    September 29 at 1:39pm ·

Special thanks to this motorist for doing everything correct during the stop. He had a license to carry a gun and his weapon was within reach. He immediately told me that he had a permit and where it was located. His hands were also on his steering wheel and in plain sight. While back in my car he voluntarily kept his hands where I could see them. Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive always wondered. If no gun is specifically mentioned, is it kosher to answer "no" to "is there anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" He doesnt have to be concerned because I'm not going to use it. (presuming it is out of sight and I dont have to go near it during the routine paperwork exchange)

EDIT: Presuming this is Indiana, Im a proper person, have my LTCH, and am committing no crimes. (aside from the simple moving violation)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ive always wondered. If no gun is specifically mentioned, is it kosher to answer "no" to "is there anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" He doesnt have to be concerned because I'm not going to use it. (presuming it is out of sight and I dont have to go near it during the routine paperwork exchange)

When they run your plate, they know you have LTCH .....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When they run your plate, they know you have LTCH .....

Yes, but it really doesn't register in most instances, given the huge amounts of LTCHs that pop up. It's only the registered driver that has it pop up, so we can't possibly know if the driver and the registered owner are one in the same, until we make contact. I only ever really took note of it, if I was pulling someone over due to a suspicion of criminal wrongdoing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If he had the driver back in the cruiser, wonder if he still wrote him the ticket?

Often when I inform right up front I receive only a warning. I hand them the pink card along with license.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I haven't been stopped lately (like within the last 10 months), but having been stopped for alleged traffic violations 8 to 10 times in the last 5 or 6 years, I have never been asked a question about a gun or even anything in the car.

How often does this really occur?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I haven't been stopped lately (like within the last 10 months), but having been stopped for alleged traffic violations 8 to 10 times in the last 5 or 6 years, I have never been asked a question about a gun or even anything in the car.

the asking or telling?

cjpoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2014
    Valparaiso

usually LEO's only ask about weapons if they think something other than a traffic violation has occurred. it's nice to know if someone has a weapon but Indiana is not a duty to inform state.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Since Indiana ties the license plates to the firearm permit any officer that pulls over any of my four cars registered to me may think it is me (with a permit and maybe a gun) in the car. So I have told everyone in the family that drives any of the cars that they should pull over immediately, turn on the dome light, open the windows, keep your hands on the wheel, and inform the officer of any move before you make it. Since two boys work late at night I don't want anything bad to happen.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Since Indiana ties the license plates to the firearm permit any officer that pulls over any of my four cars registered to me may think it is me (with a permit and maybe a gun) in the car. So I have told everyone in the family that drives any of the cars that they should pull over immediately, turn on the dome light, open the windows, keep your hands on the wheel, and inform the officer of any move before you make it. Since two boys work late at night I don't want anything bad to happen.

It isn't attached to the plate.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd say for me its about half to 2/3 of the time. I dont have any gun stickers on my car, nor do I drive a sporty car. But I look young.

Luckily Ive kept my nose clean and havent been pulled over in a couple years.

And when they would ask me, it was just in passing and not a lot of emphasis on the question.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I mean if you look squared away, I don't think the cops give 2 hangs. I get pulled over once in a blue moon, never been asked.

Got pulled over April/May 2008 going to NRAAM in Louisville and was wearing 2 guns. The ISP guy ran up to my passenger side window, looked in my open glove box and saw the suppressed Ruger MkII 22/45 and said . . . not a single word. He ran back after doing his 27 thang and told me to slow down.

When I hit my deer on I-65 the young ISP guy was freaked out by me wearing 2 guns ("I've never seen that before" he kept repeating) but I was outside the SUV after dragging the animal off the interstate, but he just wanted to see my pink card.

I keep threatening to do a traffic stop thread. Tonight I shall.

Top Bottom