• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Endless threads on INGO are generated regarding individuals carrying handguns and police interactions during traffic stops.

Let's go over how to mitigate our risks of being stopped and how to handle traffic stops.

1. Clean your vehicle. Keep your car clean and organized. Stop throwing filth inside your car. Your mommy is not coming to clean it out. Clean it up and wipe it down with Lysol wipes, etc.

Keep the outside of your car clean. There is a distinction between filth and honest dirt from the jobsite (masons, construction, plumbers, electriicians, etc.), the cops can tell the difference.

2. Keep your vehicle in good repair. Replace the broken, cracked stuff. Pick a Saturday a month and ensure that everything works.

3. Keep your papers in order. I use the big Ziplock bags. Everything goes in there in the glove box, not scattered over the four corners of the earth and your vehicle. Keep your stuff together.

4. Know the traffic code and obey it. I was once told on an OWI that the person "did not believe in turn signals." You may not believe in turn signals but the judge does. Stop playing stupid, study the traffic code so that it becomes a sword for you, not to you.

5. Wake up early and leave early. Must people get pulled over for being dicks because they are in a hurry. Speed up your watch, or do whatever so that you leave in plenty of time to go to Snowflake's soccer game or get to work or get to Obamacare rally or whatever.

6. Don't drive like a dick.

Upon being pulled over:

1. Pull over right away. No stupid games, no excuse making, just pull over. If the cop wants you somewhere else, he'll tell you.

2. Relax. It's an IF or an OV. You didn't rob a bank, Dillinger. It's a moronic traffic ticket. That's it. Cops read you like dogs. If you radiate fear, they will feel fear. You aren't doing anything wrong crime-wise.

2. Roll down the window. No internet turtle games where the sovies crack a window. Remember, the cops can get you out of the car. Stop playing games and roll down your window.

3. Shut your baconhole and relax. Yes, yes, you want a pat on the head for being a good boy and having a pink card. Got it. But shut up. Don't play cop games, the liar game, 20 questions, name your ticket, etc. Shut up. No, telling him about Snowflake's birthday party or karate belt testing or whatever will not help you, and if any of that was important to you, then you would have left in plenty of time so that you wouldn't be pulled over for speeding. It's not important to you so don't bore the cop with the lie.

4. Give him your license, registration and insurance card. No, don't ask him for 3 pieces of ID or whatever you saw on youtube or read in Boston T. Party.

5. No, don't get out of the car and run up to him a la Boston T. Party. No, you want to get shot? Just stay in the car.

6. If he wants you to get out of the car. Get out of the car, no lip. No, he doesn't need "probable cause" or fair probability of jack to get you out. Get out of the car, and shut up.

7. If he wants to be cute and ask about drugs or guns, see #3. Shut up. If he repeats, you say "am I free to go". If no, then wait and relax. He will get tired and then you get to go. I don't care that the cop can see my LTCH status or my NRA-Benefactor sticker. I'm not saying anything so who cares if he knows or not, especially in this post-Pinner world.

8. Don't argue about the ticket. If you cared, then you wouldn't get pulled over. Fight about it later in court.

I wouldn't be the first to say "gun". In fact, it is better that it does not get mentioned. If it's dark and you want to turn on a light, OK, just be quiet about it.

I don't care where my hands are because I am relaxed. I don't care if the cop pats me on the head or not as it is not relevant to the stop or my life in any way.

Let the police be the police. Let them do their thing. But you don't have to help them by running your baconhole. So sit there and be quiet. We'll sort it out later.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Will said.

As for numder 3. I like to staple my insurance card to my vehicle registration and clip it to the sunvisor. That way nothing is exposed on you or in your glovebox or center consoles.

E46346EE-2A60-4078-961E-9EABEF257496_zpsnw1ts55i.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Great post Kirk, thank you for putting that together!

I have a question about #7: 7. If he wants to be cute and ask about drugs or guns, see #3. Shut up. If he repeats, you say "am I free to go". If no, then wait and relax. He will get tired and then you get to go. I don't care that the cop can see my LTCH status or my NRA-Benefactor sticker. I'm not saying anything so who cares if he knows or not, especially in this post-Pinner world.

Are you suggesting that the driver should be mute, expressionless and not respond in any way when initially asked about drugs or guns? I have always wrestled with the best way to handle that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Are you suggesting that the driver should be mute, expressionless and not respond in any way when initially asked about drugs or guns? I have always wrestled with the best way to handle that.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Being mute ute strikes me as being a dick. I am not looking to be his buddy but the cop does deserve respect and human decency. My mom would be disappointed if I just sat their mute. How do we reply without being a dick?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Piggybacking on Bubba, if he asks a general VAGUE question like "anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" is it illegal to say "no officer" if you are carrying a concealed firearm legally that he should not see during the course of your interaction? After all if you have the gun legally and arent planning to use it, he has nothing to be concerned about. Right?

I assume its illegal to lie to a cop and it would be a bad thing if he asks "any weapons in the vehicle?" and you say "no" while carrying. But given the vague question, are you really lying? After all, he also doesnt have to worry about the fire extinguisher in my trunk that theoretically could be used as a bludgeon. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I learned on ingo that you are supposed to unholster your weapon drop the mag in your passenger seat, clear the chamber and throw it on your dashboard. That way the officer can see your gun and knows it isnt loaded.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I have a question about #7: 7. If he wants to be cute and ask about drugs or guns, see #3. Shut up. If he repeats, you say "am I free to go". If no, then wait and relax. He will get tired and then you get to go. I don't care that the cop can see my LTCH status or my NRA-Benefactor sticker. I'm not saying anything so who cares if he knows or not, especially in this post-Pinner world.

Expressionless? I don't understand.

I am suggesting that you stop looking for the pat on the head. Shut up. Don't say anything. You don't have to answer, don't.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Piggybacking on Bubba, if he asks a general VAGUE question like "anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" is it illegal to say "no officer" if you are carrying a concealed firearm legally that he should not see during the course of your interaction? After all if you have the gun legally and arent planning to use it, he has nothing to be concerned about. Right?

I assume its illegal to lie to a cop and it would be a bad thing if he asks "any weapons in the vehicle?" and you say "no" while carrying. But given the vague question, are you really lying? After all, he also doesnt have to worry about the fire extinguisher in my trunk that theoretically could be used as a bludgeon. :dunno:

Vague, general, specific, I don't care. Just shut up and stop looking for the pat on the head.

Everyone wants to "win" the cop games. The only way to win is not to play. Shut up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Vague, general, specific, I don't care. Just shut up and stop looking for the pat on the head.

Everyone wants to "win" the cop games. The only way to win is not to play. Shut up.

I just want to appear to be cooperative without coming off as the kind of d*** that passes his paperwork through the crack in the window while screaming "I DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS!!!" thus guaranteeing a ticket.

I'll take that as a "yes that is lying. Either shut your baconhole totally or own up to it."

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My question would be this. If Leo asks if you have any firearms in the car(#3), which you do and wouldn't be seen during a normal traffic stop, ie "I need to see your dl, registration, and proof of insurance", because it wouldn't be visible while producing these items, so you dont answer(remain silent/dont answer, #3) but then said Leo asks you to step out of the vehicle(#6), which then could possibly make said firearm visible to Leo. Now by remaining silent on having the firearm, have you now essentially opened yourself up to some problems possibly?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you Kirk for a very well written and detailed post of what to do, and most importantly what NOT to do.

Now I have to ask, was it a silly relative or client that set this post in motion...? 'Cause I know a post like this just doesn't pop up out of the blue.;)

Regards,

Doug

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

If he would ask me "anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" and I'm carrying, I would say "no", because I have no intention of shooting a police officer.
    So that wouldn't be a lie. :-)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My question would be this. If Leo asks if you have any firearms in the car(#3), which you do and wouldn't be seen during a normal traffic stop, ie "I need to see your dl, registration, and proof of insurance", because it wouldn't be visible while producing these items, so you dont answer(remain silent/dont answer, #3) but then said Leo asks you to step out of the vehicle(#6), which then could possibly make said firearm visible to Leo. Now by remaining silent on having the firearm, have you now essentially opened yourself up to some problems possibly?

No. Shut up.

I sense a theme here.

Top Bottom