• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I was talking with a coworker today and she told me that there is a solicitor that is making his rounds in the Zionsville area (close to me). Apparently he is getting really violent. Thankfully, I've never had to draw a gun or use one in self-protection. A question came to mind - maybe some folks can let me know their opinions. If I asked someone to leave my property but they refused, is it legal to pull a gun, point it at them, and ask again. I am just wondering where the line is. I know that the Castle Doctrine is a thing in IN.

Just want some education. I know that a lot of folks here aren't legal experts, but what is everyones general consensus?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    A good rule of thumb is If you are in fear of your life, draw your gun, if not, then leave it holstered.

As to someone refusing to leave your property and is not a threat to you or your family then no you can't draw your gun for someone trespassing, call the police and let them handle it.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Is he violent? Or persistent and annoying? If someone tries to enter your home unlawfully fire away. Standing outside yapping with no physical threat, close the door call the cops.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You don't have to engage a solicitor that comes to your door. Just tell them - through the door or sidelight - you're not interested. Go away. End of story.

Opening your door is mistake #1.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You guys need to stop opening the door to strangers.

2. No, please, no.

I have taken the Essentials of Indiana Gun Law. I highly recommend it or Personal Protection in the Home.

The class is a fraction of the price that you will pay for me or someone like me. Remember, we study the sword to avoid using the sword.

Upcoming Courses

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Paging Mr. Kirk Freeman, will Mr. Kirk Freeman please pick up the nearest butterscotch phone.

Oh... wait.... Never mind.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    You don't have to engage a solicitor that comes to your door. Just tell them - through the door or sidelight - you're not interested. Go away. End of story.

Opening your door is mistake #1.

Best advice right there. Most will leave at that point. If the incident escalates into the individual attempting entry at that point a verbal warning of being armed would go along way if you need to fire your weapon if there is time to do so of course.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    DON'T open the door. I don't even get off the couch to see who it is that rang the doorbell.

*sound of full suitcase thunking down on conference room table*

tumblr_mliyvdrITI1qkad4do4_500.gif

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If there is ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony, and fire two blasts outside the house.

[video=youtube;ZjSzAs4PuGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSzAs4PuGw[/video]

:ugh:

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    This is of course all hypothetical. I guess my question wasn’t if it was a good idea or not (who looks for opportunities to draw a gun :dunno:) More like “could the homeowner have ramifications if he did *this*.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    This is of course all hypothetical. I guess my question wasn’t if it was a good idea or not (who looks for opportunities to draw a gun :dunno:) More like “could the homeowner have ramifications if he did *this*.

IIRC Indiana considers pointing a firearm as deadly force. Pretty sure you can't point a gun at someone unless there is a threat.

Not sure if you could brandish legally though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We had a shady looking character come to the door during the day a week or two ago. The older kids were home alone briefly while my wife stepped out to run an errand. Pretty happy with the way the kids handled it. Told the dude to get lost through the door (no opening of anything).

It's gratifying to have some indication Dad's harping on such things is paying off.

(Checked the cam footage later and it looked to be one of those guys from Midwest Cattle - door-to-door "meat" sales. If you Google it up, they're not without controversy.)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If a mommy group was up in arms about it, im sure the guy did something super aggressive like not call her ma'am every other word or maybe he looked mean, or maybe she saw him swat at a bee that was buzzing his head and it scared her.

if a dude is at your door and refuses to leave do not pull your gun, this is an action movie. Tell him to leave again or you will call the cops. its their job to get into confrontations with idiots not yours.
    Close the door and lock it and walk away.

Top Bottom