Church/school carry...does this change anything?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I hope so.

I have a couple other technical arguments about carrying on a church property that also has a school, that apply to my particular situation but may not be generally applicable. This provides another analogous argument.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Not if the church has a licensed daycare or school. The court just said offering "Sunday school" services for preschoolers during church services does not make it a school.

The church near to my house has a licensed daycare service that operates on weekdays in addition to "Sunday School". They are a "school" 24/7/365. The pedos can't attend there.

Even under under carry laws they are off limits to carry without written permission of the church leaders.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not if the church has a licensed daycare or school. The court just said offering "Sunday school" services for preschoolers during church services does not make it a school.

The church next to my house has a licensed daycare service that operates on weekdays. They are a "school" 24/7/365 under carry laws. They are off limits with out written permission of the church leaders.

I'm not suggesting anyone act on this right now.

...but it should not be in our nature to see a decision like this and not try to use it to argue for a logical extension of its holding.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

The church next to my house has a licensed daycare service that operates on weekdays. They are a "school" 24/7/365 under carry laws.

Under Indiana law a daycare is only a school if it is REQUIRED to be licensed. Church operated daycares are exempt by law from the licensing requirement. Being licensed is not equal to being required to be licensed.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Under Indiana law a daycare is only a school if it is REQUIRED to be licensed. Church operated daycares are exempt by law from the licensing requirement. Being licensed is not equal to being required to be licensed.

Interesting distinction.

I don't attend, or carry, but will have to look into that.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I heard about this topic today on the way home. I wondered if it could be a game changer for our crowd as well. If they are going to allow a known criminal on the property and near his prey how can it be against the law for a "proper person" to carry a handgun in the same place?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sometimes the camel's nose under the tent can potentially be helpful for the cause of liberty and freedom. We shall see.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    So I’m confused. Do sex offenders only get ordered to stay away from schools/daycares? They do not get a “stay away from anywhere children congregate normally” (playgrounds, parks, churches, etc)?? That seems odd to me that schools would be the only protected place but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    At my church, I personally know of at least 3 other regular attendees that carry. All of whom are very discreet and keep well concealed. I'm thankful it is not a church that shares a campus with a school. One less thing to worry about. But, even if it were, I'd rather have insurance than not, even when I place my trust in God.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Question for INGO lawyers.

There’s a church outside my neighborhood that has a licensed daycare. However, the daycare is in a separate building from the church with separate parking lots. Would it be legal to carry inside the church?

Top Bottom