• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, this is bad. Can you own a live grenade (legally??)

LAWRENCE, Ind. -- Police are currently searching for potential burglary suspects who stole a potentially live hand grenade, among other weapons and police badges from a home on the north east side.

Police say that the residence, near East 46th Street and North Shadeland, belongs to a retired Marion County sheriff deputy. The homeowner is also a war veteran.
    According to the victim's family, the hand grenade was stolen along with multiple shotguns, ammunition, and an antique black powder rifle.

Police are warning that this potentially live hand grenade should be treated as such until an expert can determine if it is, in fact, live.
    Lawrence Police Deputy Chief Gary Woodruff says that if this potentially live hand grenade is in the hands of someone who is not certified to handle it, the weapon can be "extremely unstable and very dangerous."

Lawrence police warning public about stolen police badges, possible live hand grenade | FOX59

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You really have to imagine that there are a few grenades floating around out there. Brought back from somewhere, or however they made it to the street.
    That could be the best justice if you ask me. Thief is just minding his bidness, you know, just doin thief kinda things, and................pop!!!
    Clean up the mess, happy ending.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You really have to imagine that there are a few grenades floating around out there. Brought back from somewhere, or however they made it to the street.
    That could be the best justice if you ask me. Thief is just minding his bidness, you know, just doin thief kinda things, and................pop!!!
    Clean up the mess, happy ending.

:yesway:

Bhart89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    McCordsville
    When I was about 10 my next door neighbor (same age as me) got a dummy grenade for Christmas except it had a live fuse in it. It burned his fathers stomach pretty bad when it went off.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This is right about where I grew up. Used to be a really quiet little neighborhood...I'm hoping it still is.

Side thought--it'd be kind of nice to hear of a "suspected thief" blowing him/herself up and save the court costs.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Having stuff like a "potentially live" hand grenade is why so many people think gun owners are crazy.

Indeed so. Just like having a working pair of nuts makes you a 'potential rapist'. The grenade either is or is not live, and introducing such speculation merely sensationalizes the reality. It is either legal or illegal depending on compliance or lack thereof with the law. Having a legal item is not proof of 'craziness' and having an illegal item is, well, illegal and cannot reasonably be applied to the rest of us who follow the law.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wondering if it's a flash bang or a frag? Outside of a cancelled tax stamp, the homeowner could be in for a little bit of a problem as well? "Potentially" live, with crack reporting we see these days, this could be anything from a dummy that could potentially be made live, to a picture of a grenade?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Wondering if it's a flash bang or a frag? Outside of a cancelled tax stamp, the homeowner could be in for a little bit of a problem as well? "Potentially" live, with crack reporting we see these days, this could be anything from a dummy that could potentially be made live, to a picture of a grenade?

It could also be a practice grenade with a fuse that detonates a blank round. My guess would be it's an allegedly inert dummy training or stage prop and someone has sensationalized it or taken the theft report as "possibly live" as they don't believe or trust anyone who tells them it is an inert dummy (i.e. we ain't takin' no chances 'cause we been duped before). OTOH it wouldn't be the first time someone squirreled away a live one during their military service, in spite of extremely rigorous accountability for them.

John

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It could also be a practice grenade with a fuse that detonates a blank round. My guess would be it's an allegedly inert dummy training or stage prop and someone has sensationalized it or taken the theft report as "possibly live" as they don't believe or trust anyone who tells them it is an inert dummy (i.e. we ain't takin' no chances 'cause we been duped before). OTOH it wouldn't be the first time someone squirreled away a live one during their military service, in spite of extremely rigorous accountability for them.

John

Pretty much all of this

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

John
    I believe even the practice grenades are regulated items, or maybe just the fuse? Even training flash bangs are regulated.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    This is right about where I grew up. Used to be a really quiet little neighborhood...I'm hoping it still is.

Side thought--it'd be kind of nice to hear of a "suspected thief" blowing him/herself up and save the court costs.

Overall, it's not. Some (very small) pockets still are.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Law Enforcement deals with ammo and explosive devices. We had a county Bomb Squad that was very busy. Widows call in to the PD about former husband foot lockers, and find grenades, mortar shells, 30 cal and 50 cal live ammo, rifle ammo.... etc. Even Civil War Cannon Rounds are recovered live.(was on a display at a local Museum)

Hope no one gets hurt, and Former Deputy gets his firearms back.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Law Enforcement deals with ammo and explosive devices. We had a county Bomb Squad that was very busy. Widows call in to the PD about former husband foot lockers, and find grenades, mortar shells, 30 cal and 50 cal live ammo, rifle ammo.... etc. Even Civil War Cannon Rounds are recovered live.(was on a display at a local Museum)

Hope no one gets hurt, and Former Deputy gets his firearms back.

Dealing with them is one thing, keeping them is another. It is bad juju to keep anything "live" at your residence.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In an unrelated story career criminal Felonious "Thiefy" McBurglar (AKA: Cat McBurglar; AKA: Ham McBurglar) was found dead in what appeared to be an explosion. Despite the extremely loud noise, blood splatter on the windows and shrapnel that penetrated the exterior walls the police were not notified for 4 days.

Top Bottom