Should I Even Bother With an Indiana LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Been researching this but the laws and procedures read like stereo instructions. In 2016 while living in Ohio I got my Ohio CHL which is valid for 5 years, expiring in 2021. I moved to Greendale, IN in June 2017 and go over to Ohio often for assorted personal business. Should I even bother getting an Indiana permit? I know that IN and OH reciprocate each other but I wonder if I'd have a problem if I carried in OH as a non-resident with my permit from before I moved. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Why not just get your lifetime IN LTCH and never have to worry about it again. I'd also update your address with the Ohio State Police, or whoever you need to do that with. While you are doing that, I'd ask them what you asked above.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Been researching this but the laws and procedures read like stereo instructions. In 2016 while living in Ohio I got my Ohio CHL which is valid for 5 years, expiring in 2021. I moved to Greendale, IN in June 2017 and go over to Ohio often for assorted personal business. Should I even bother getting an Indiana permit? I know that IN and OH reciprocate each other but I wonder if I'd have a problem if I carried in OH as a non-resident with my permit from before I moved. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

If you are an Indiana resident, out of state permits and license won't allow you to carry here. They're only valid for non-residents.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You may also find that being an Indiana resident now, your Ohio permit is no longer valid in Ohio either. Regardless of the stated expiration date on the permit or license or whatever, the laws governing its validity still apply.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

As an Indiana resident you will need an Indiana LTCH to carry a handgun in Indiana.

If you wish to carry a handgun, then, yes, bother.

If you do not wish to carry a handgun, then, no, don't bother.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let's look at the statute, 35-47-2-21(b):

"(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreigncountries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana."

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Let's look at the statute, 35-47-2-21(b):

"(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreigncountries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana."

Foreign Countries? Learned something new today.

What other countrys had a license/permit to carry. Israel maybe?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Foreign Countries? Learned something new today.

What other countrys had a license/permit to carry. Israel maybe?

Republic of the Philippines
    Austria
    Switzerland
    some of the eastern Euro countries
    several latin American countries
    etc etc

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

When I was at Galyan's I always wondered how that would work out. I mean Indiana allows foreign nationals to carry in Indiana, but what if your license is in the four languages of the HC?

How many beat cops on IMPD can read Romansch (the Swiss train engineer was from Grisons Canton)? Or Tagalog? Or Afrikaans? Or German?

Think if the guy was from the Czech Republic?:D The license would look like the typewriter malfunctioned as it would be nothing but consonants!:laugh:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    When I was at Galyan's I always wondered how that would work out. I mean Indiana allows foreign nationals to carry in Indiana, but what if your license is in the four languages of the HC?

How many beat cops on IMPD can read Romansch (the Swiss train engineer was from Grisons Canton)? Or Tagalog? Or Afrikaans? Or German?

Think if the guy was from the Czech Republic?:D The license would look like the typewriter malfunctioned as it would be nothing but consonants!:laugh:

what is the "HC"?

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Wow, I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening. Here's what I got:

• Because its for state residents, once I changed my residency to another state my OH CHL became null and void.
    • For the same reason, IN won't recognize my OH CHL since its address doesn't match my IN drivers license
    • Consensus here is that I should just get a lifetime IN permit and be done with it.
    • All that stuff about foreign countries doing their permits in their languages that American cops don't speak/read
    Sometimes the answer is so simple that you don't see it right in front of your face. Thanks for the feedback.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Not a can of worms. Just a bunch of people who want to help you stay on the right side of the law. It is tempting to try and just save the money, but the potential consequences of carrying without a proper license are too serious to mess with.

Good that you checked rather than assuming you were okay.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what is the "HC"?

Switzerland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetia

As the U.S. is Columbia, they are Helvetia.

images

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wow, I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening. Here's what I got:

• Because its for state residents, once I changed my residency to another state my OH CHL became null and void.
    • For the same reason, IN won't recognize my OH CHL since its address doesn't match my IN drivers license
    • Consensus here is that I should just get a lifetime IN permit and be done with it.
    • All that stuff about foreign countries doing their permits in their languages that American cops don't speak/read
    Sometimes the answer is so simple that you don't see it right in front of your face. Thanks for the feedback.

Can of worms? Not tracking. There is no disagreement; it is the law that once you are an Indiana resident, you need an Indiana LTCH.

If you want to carry most handguns, go get a LTCH. The LTCH is much cheaper than getting (acquiring) a lawyer.

It is Indiana law that Indiana does not recognize your Ohio CHL now that you are an Indiana resident.

This is not for some reason, this is the law.

I like languages so anytime Kirk joins a thread and gets to talk about foreign languages it's going to get a little strange if you have no passing familiarity with foreign tongues, BUT you might learn something.

Go get the Indiana LTCH/pink card/Larry, and then legally carry.:D

Top Bottom