• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Does anyone know the rules for if you are traveling to Chicago with your guns?

I know if you are allowed to carry a gun in Indiana as a nonresident, you can carry in your car and storing weapons in your car is ok, but what if you stay at a hotel/motel or at someone's house? Can you bring your guns inside?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Does anyone know the rules for if you are traveling to Chicago with your guns?

I know if you are allowed to carry a gun in Indiana as a nonresident, you can carry in your car and storing weapons in your car is ok, but what if you stay at a hotel/motel or at someone's house? Can you bring your guns inside?

Hotel you need to unload before removing the gun from the car and can reload once you are in your hotel room. If a guest in a house you must unload before removing from the car but with the homeowners permission you can reload once inside the house.

I believe if you park on the homeowners property and have his permission you do not need to unload before leaving your car. I am not sure on that last point if you can carry outside of the hosts house on his property. I hope someone with more knowledge than me can clarify

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    From handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 0.000000%, 0.000000%)]Note: [/COLOR]If you are traveling and don’t have a permit/license from your state of residence you can transport thefirearm unloaded and secured in a case in the trunk or in the back of an SUV. You must be able to legallypossess the firearm in your state of residence. You can take it into your Motel/Hotel Room if they don’t banfirearms in their Motel/Hotel.

From the IL State Police: Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I travel?
    Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The critical question is how the firearm was carried into the roomand transported in a vehicle. Those actions must be done lawfully.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I believe if you park on the homeowners property and have his permission you do not need to unload before leaving your car. I am not sure on that last point if you can carry outside of the hosts house on his property. I hope someone with more knowledge than me can clarify

That would be correct.

I wish I can find this exact IL/Chicago law that talks about private residences and your guns

Ask and ye shall receive. 720 ILCS 5/24-1 a4 No idea if Chicago has/can have an ordinance.
    720Â*ILCSÂ*5/Â*Criminal Code of 2012.
    Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection

Top Bottom