Indy Circle of Lights - prohibition, or strong suggestion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I last attended the "Circle of Lights" back in the days where it was still referred to as lighting the "world's largest Christmas tree" (1990, I think).

I'm not a fan, and likely won't attend again, but I saw the information all over the news about items newly prohibited this year, including "weapons/firearms" (see the press release) and wondered whether "Downtown Indy, Inc." (or any other involved party) would actually be able to either restrict those lawfully carrying from entering the area, or use threat of "trespass" to cause those found to be carrying to leave as the event is being held on what is clearly public property.

They made mention of hardened barriers to prevent automobiles, but no specifics about any measures related to the firearms/weapons prohibition. I'm guessing it's a strong suggestion (i.e. a hope that the mere announcement of said prohibition will result in most folks leaving their firearms at home), but there's some gray for me due to a) the monument itself being state property, b) the surrounding area being city property (security by IMPD, per the release), and c) the event is being run by a private not for profit and the contractual relationship is unknown to me.

I'd be curious to get any insights any of our resident attorneys or LEO (especially IMPD ;) ) would care to share.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A large public gathering with lots of people crammed into a tight area. I know IMPD does a great job with these type of events, but it still seems like a pretty soft target to me.

There's no way I'd ever consider attending something like that without carrying.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah I don’t know how they can enforce such a prohibition other than treating it as a trespass just like anywhere else. If you get observed carrying a gun and asked to leave, you gotta go. The permittee likely has sole use/control of the property and can issue their own rules for the event.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I go every year, save 2015 when my daughter was born during. Really no way to restrict it more than it is, checkpoints would be useless with the amount of folks glomming immediately to the one Street everything really happens on. I will take my guns in, and out, having no real worry about the security theater about to astound us!

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    A large public gathering with lots of people crammed into a tight area. I know IMPD does a great job with these type of events, but it still seems like a pretty soft target to me.

There's no way I'd ever consider attending something like that without carrying.

Ditto. Every large public gathering is a time bomb waiting to go off.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ^^^^ this X3.

Its public property so I don't see how they could.

Downtown Indy, Inc. is running the show. They are a private entity, so they can make rules like any other private entity using a public space. Think of when you rent a shelter in a public park. Normally, anyone can use the shelter. When you rent it, though, it's yours to control for that term.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As mentioned above, the event organizer has leased the (otherwise public) space from the City. They can have pretty much any rule or policy they want. They can also hire private security to enforce them, up to and including asking you to leave and calling LEO to cite for trespass if you do not.

Pretty much the same as any private organization leasing any other public space.

That said, it is still JUST a policy/rule. Not a law. Carry On.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm not going to but it leads to my primary pet peeve of these type of prohibitions:

We have security ("HERE") for your safety ... so you must "be vulnerable" even though you're "Vetted / Law abiding" we don't trust you..

HOWEVER - you're completely vulnerable to any vultures waiting just outside the ropes from here to wherever you parked, after you leave.

I wonder what level of "prevention" they will use / try to justify. ...

Good luck and enjoy the show to any attending; stay safe.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not going to but it leads to my primary pet peeve of these type of prohibitions:

We have security ("HERE") for your safety ... so you must "be vulnerable" even though you're "Vetted / Law abiding" we don't trust you..

HOWEVER - you're completely vulnerable to any vultures waiting just outside the ropes from here to wherever you parked, after you leave.

I wonder what level of "prevention" they will use / try to justify. ...

Good luck and enjoy the show to any attending; stay safe.

There will be a large number of cops around but that's probably about it....

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I never carry when wearing my "free hugs' hoodie. I typically wear said hoodie while at the light thingy so this isn't something I have given much thought to.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My parents are in their 80s. They will be there. There may or may not be a Smith from the Johnson administration or a Ruger Service Six from the Ford administration there as well.

You'll be fine.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    This is exactly what I was coming to ask
    The missus wants to go and I work until 1830. We will be coming ariund the tail end and I want to make sure we are protected before, during, and after the lighting. Especially since we will likely be walking around downtown afterwards.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Julia Moffitt asked the Chief this morning during a live interview, if people with a license to carry will be turned away. He replied with a no, and something to the effect that people have rights that they will honor them. A big +1 to the question and the answer.

Top Bottom