• ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Hello all,

I normally EDC glocks but I just picked up a new SIG P226 SAO. I was at an indoor range and rented one and fell absolutely in love with the trigger. I bought it as my first "nice" gun with the intention of range use and maybe nightstand use. I want to keep it in great condition but I would not be against carrying it once in a while if I felt like it on nice occasions.

I have never carried a hammer fired gun or a SAO no less. I know it's large and probably not the most comfortable thing in the world to carry but my question pertains more to SAO. Obviously 1911's have been carried for longer than I have been alive in the same "cocked and locked" condition but they have the addition of a grip safety, which the 226 lacks.

It also has an ambi thumb safety which is a little of my concern. Has anyone had any problems with that being clicked to the off position in the rigors of carry due to the lever being exposed on the right side as well as the body carry side? I guess I am just a little concerned about that single safety and no additional grip safety like the 1911 has. Is this a valid concern? I understand the best safety is between my ears, just not used to SAO and a single mechanical safety.

I have seen on more than one review that Sig claims the trigger pull weight is 5 lbs but review tests found it to be a good bit less than that. It sure doesn't feel like 5 lbs to me, what it feels like is amazing.

Educate a lowly glock lover on carrying this thing please. I sure do love it...

Any holster recommendations based on experience with the gun?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used a Red Nichols avenger style for AWB and blade-tech for IWB for the P226.

Before making the switch to a thumb safety gun from striker fired for self-defense, the bigger concern is making sure you can run the thumb safety 100% of the time. That includes under time pressure, while grappled and being jerked around, while injured, with a hasty grip after knocked on your backside, etc. All of these things can and do happen in self defense situations, and more than one person has pulled a dead trigger and paid the price.

Similarly, remember you have a lot less forgiveness in the trigger travel when the safety is off. Correctly running it isn't just "off" when drawing and "on" when holstering.

SAO guns are easy to shoot, but take a lot more time and effort to truly run safely and effectively when there's pressure. Just something to consider.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I carry mine OWB somewhere around 3:00 using a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. It has loops for carrying it straight, or at a cant. I carry it with the cant and find it to be very comfortable. I had picked up one of the Blackpoint Tactical Legion holsters out of the Sig store and while it's okay, I don't find it nearly as comfortable as the Speed Scabbard.

I have had my safety disengage while being carried a couple of times, just last week actually. One time I have no idea how it happened, but one time I believe the gun brushed up against the back of the chair I was sitting in while eating. It can happen, you just need to be aware of it. I don't worry about it too much. I do practice my drawstroke a lot in order to make sure disengaging the safety is muscle memory. I ride the safety with this gun, just like a 1911, so disengaging the safety becomes part of a proper grip. If you're concerned, practice with it until you're confident.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I carry mine OWB somewhere around 3:00 using a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. It has loops for carrying it straight, or at a cant. I carry it with the cant and find it to be very comfortable. I had picked up one of the Blackpoint Tactical Legion holsters out of the Sig store and while it's okay, I don't find it nearly as comfortable as the Speed Scabbard.

I have had my safety disengage while being carried a couple of times, just last week actually. One time I have no idea how it happened, but one time I believe the gun brushed up against the back of the chair I was sitting in while eating. It can happen, you just need to be aware of it. I don't worry about it too much. I do practice my drawstroke a lot in order to make sure disengaging the safety is muscle memory. I ride the safety with this gun, just like a 1911, so disengaging the safety becomes part of a proper grip. If you're concerned, practice with it until you're confident.

Interesting, that's what I was worried about if I do ever decide to carry it on occasion. I thought about carrying it a while with a snapcap chambered and my BUG and check that safety at the end of the day. I spoke with Sig yesterday, they said they have in the past had them sent in to have the right side safety lever milled off/down and refinished so it looks like factory with just the strong side safety available like a non ambi safety. They do this to meet competition gun width sizes, I don't compete but I may have to consider it.

They assured me while there is a charge for this, having them do it keeps the lifetime warranty intact. I wish it wasn't there, I love the gun in all other respects.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do practice my drawstroke a lot in order to make sure disengaging the safety is muscle memory. I ride the safety with this gun, just like a 1911, so disengaging the safety becomes part of a proper grip. If you're concerned, practice with it until you're confident.

For a fighting gun, the safety should be manipulated along with the decision to shoot or not shoot. Sometimes this will be from the draw, sometimes it won't, and sometimes it changes mid-presentation.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I figured I would throw in picture of said gun for good measure :)

ihXvqvo.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For a fighting gun, the safety should be manipulated along with the decision to shoot or not shoot. Sometimes this will be from the draw, sometimes it won't, and sometimes it changes mid-presentation.

TBH, I don't have enough training, so I can't rebut what you're saying at all. To me, the decision to shoot or not shoot would be whether I have my finger on the trigger or not, though the Navy Seal I've done a little training with would disagree. Bottom line, I need more training.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    TBH, I don't have enough training, so I can't rebut what you're saying at all. To me, the decision to shoot or not shoot would be whether I have my finger on the trigger or not, though the Navy Seal I've done a little training with would disagree. Bottom line, I need more training.

Ideally, sure. But mistakes happen, or we wouldn't need thumb safeties at all and could carry 2-lb triggers. People touch the trigger when they don't think they are touching the trigger. "Security checks" are as subconscious as touching your wallet occasionally after you make a big ATM withdrawal. Under stress, even just on force on force training, you'll see a lot of folks finger the trigger who swear they didn't. ANY trigger can be accidentally pulled, but some have more leeway than others. With a SA trigger, you've got very short travel and not much pressure required. SAO should be safed when not actually on target, DA/SA should be decocked. Long guns are trained the same way.

As a thought exercise, it seems like it would add time to the equation. In practice, it doesn't, because the decision part is what takes time. The safety can be flicked as you transition focus to the sight, complete a presentation, etc. I do not recall flipping the safety of my M-16 either to shoot or to safe it again after shooting, but since it shot and it was on safe afterward it's self-evident I did.

That's why I say a thumb safety equipped pistol requires more effort and training to run 100%. It's got to be subconscious, under any circumstance, and trained with decision making as well as all the "standard" training for handguns and fighting.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ideally, sure. But mistakes happen, or we wouldn't need thumb safeties at all and could carry 2-lb triggers. People touch the trigger when they don't think they are touching the trigger. "Security checks" are as subconscious as touching your wallet occasionally after you make a big ATM withdrawal. Under stress, even just on force on force training, you'll see a lot of folks finger the trigger who swear they didn't. ANY trigger can be accidentally pulled, but some have more leeway than others. With a SA trigger, you've got very short travel and not much pressure required. SAO should be safed when not actually on target, DA/SA should be decocked. Long guns are trained the same way.

As a thought exercise, it seems like it would add time to the equation. In practice, it doesn't, because the decision part is what takes time. The safety can be flicked as you transition focus to the sight, complete a presentation, etc. I do not recall flipping the safety of my M-16 either to shoot or to safe it again after shooting, but since it shot and it was on safe afterward it's self-evident I did.

That's why I say a thumb safety equipped pistol requires more effort and training to run 100%. It's got to be subconscious, under any circumstance, and trained with decision making as well as all the "standard" training for handguns and fighting.

Thank you for the food for thought.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It also has an ambi thumb safety which is a little of my concern. Has anyone had any problems with that being clicked to the off position in the rigors of carry due to the lever being exposed on the right side as well as the body carry side? I guess I am just a little concerned about that single safety and no additional grip safety like the 1911 has. Is this a valid concern? I understand the best safety is between my ears, just not used to SAO and a single mechanical safety.

It does happen occasionally, but 1) it's usually when you "scrape" by something, and 2) as long as the trigger guard remains covered, it's not a huge problem. It happens with 1911s too, even those without ambi safeties.

If you get it milled down on one side, I'd leave at least a vestigial part that could still be used in an emergency.

Any holster recommendations based on experience with the gun?

For IWB (which in my opinion requires a body shield), I have found three options:

1. Blackpoint Mini Wing - not impressed; no longer using it

2. High Threat Concealment SPEKTRE - you have to select the option for an ambi thumb safety; recommend the soft belt loops with snaps for security; so far a good holster

3. Blade-Tech Total Eclipse set-up for IWB - this would be a good choice for you since it has a shield on both sides. However, you have to be careful when you put the gun in the holster that you don't push the safety off as you're doing it. Once it's inside the holster, no problems with the safety getting moved unintentionally. I'd still be using it, but with my squishy physique, the belt hooks slip off of my belt too easily.

For OWB, you have many, many options.

I need to get a tune up as well, Farnam's coming in June or July i'm thinking of re-taking one of his classes.

Can't go wrong there.

Top Bottom