• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    At the height of the stupidity, a friend of mine who is a pilot for a major airline told me that TSA confiscated her nail file! She told them she was the pilot of the aircraft, in full uniform with all the luggage the flight crew always take with them. She said the fact that her hands could be on the controls of the aircraft so it would be difficult as well as useless for her to use the nail file. That didn't matter to the guy with an ego issue.

She laughed as she told me the story, because not only was she in charge of the safety of the aircraft, there was this giant pick-ax attached to her seat in the event she had to cut a hole in the side of the fuselage for emergency egress. And they are worried about her having a nail file?!?!?

Yes, pilots should have firearms for the safety of the disarmed flying public.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I know a retired airline pilot who is totally against the crew being armed. He said the pilot and co-pilot can lock the door and the flight attendants know they are expendable. This is from a sharp guy who used to fly F-4;s off a carrier.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    :scratch:

He is flying the plane. If he is wanting to harm people he wouldn't need a gun....he could stop a terrorist with his gun though.

To be fair, the article didn't specify whether he was scheduled to pilot that flight, or if he was just an airline employee along for the ride.

But I get your point.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    TSA is out of control...never has really been in control. They are petty tyrants making others, no matter who, jump through their petty tyrant hoops. They are so abusive my family refuses to travel anywhere under their dominion. I don't blame them and only continue to do so because of job requirements. They are a shining example of our loss of freedom.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have known and worked around a fair number of pilots, I would not trust very many of them with the judgment and skill to use a gun on a plane. If they were properly trained and went through annual training for protecting the plane and re certification I would be fine with that but no way otherwise. Airborne bus drivers most of them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have known and worked around a fair number of pilots, I would not trust very many of them with the judgment and skill to use a gun on a plane. If they were properly trained and went through annual training for protecting the plane and re certification I would be fine with that but no way otherwise. Airborne bus drivers most of them.
    I know two FFDO’s( Federal Flight Deck Officer, Armed pilot)and their gun handling and shooting abilities make me cringe. They receive training in Artesia, NM and have to requal every 6months to keep their .gov pistol, holster, cool carry bag, and useless Federal Creds. Neither one would be considered even average as far as shooting ability, and both would be considered sub par in safety and handling. This after being trained by the “best of the best” FAMs and instructors Artesia has to offer.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    TSA is out of control...never has really been in control. They are petty tyrants making others, no matter who, jump through their petty tyrant hoops. They are so abusive my family refuses to travel anywhere under their dominion...

What did they make your family do?

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I know a retired airline pilot who is totally against the crew being armed. He said the pilot and co-pilot can lock the door and the flight attendants know they are expendable. This is from a sharp guy who used to fly F-4;s off a carrier.

Did he explain how the pilots being armed somehow makes things worse?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am not for gun registration but if pilots are going to be allowed to carry on planes their gun serial numbers should be tied to some sort of data base so they can be reunited with their owners after losing them at cocktail lounges, rent a cars, flight attendant and floozy"s apartments and hotel rooms, cabs, airport lounges, bathroom stalls or the scores of other places they leave stuff. Ask a guy who cleans airplanes and you won't believe what they leave behind in the cockpits.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Did he explain how the pilots being armed somehow makes things worse?

He was very emphatic in his opinion. Since he is married to my cousin, I let it drop. Just surprising to me. He was a carrier pilot, has his own sailboat and goes out in the Atlantic ocean on it. I don't know if he was ever around firearms. My uncle, his wife's dad, was an avid gun collector. When he died I helped auction off his collection.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am not for gun registration but if pilots are going to be allowed to carry on planes their gun serial numbers should be tied to some sort of data base so they can be reunited with their owners after losing them at cocktail lounges, rent a cars, flight attendant and floozy"s apartments and hotel rooms, cabs, airport lounges, bathroom stalls or the scores of other places they leave stuff. Ask a guy who cleans airplanes and you won't believe what they leave behind in the cockpits.
    The pilots alloweed to carry now, FFDO’s, are issued .gov .40 H&K pistols, so they are “registered” in case of loss.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What did they make your family do?

They went to the Washington Monument. The overweight TSA lady went up to the line and yelled 'all y'all up against the wall!, put your bags on the floor.' She then separated my 9yo son from my wife (and infant daughter) and forced him to go through an enhanced screening on his own while yelling expletives at him. They dumped out my wife's diaper bag and just left her to put all the parts back together. The Park Service people apologized to them after they were released. That's just one example of a dozen during that month in DC. No thanks. Until TSA goes away this countries monuments are dead to us.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I lost all faith in them when I made it through security all the way to Mexico with 50 rounds of 9mm in my carry on.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    They went to the Washington Monument. The overweight TSA lady went up to the line and yelled 'all y'all up against the wall!, put your bags on the floor.' She then separated my 9yo son from my wife (and infant daughter) and forced him to go through an enhanced screening on his own while yelling expletives at him. They dumped out my wife's diaper bag and just left her to put all the parts back together. The Park Service people apologized to them after they were released. That's just one example of a dozen during that month in DC. No thanks. Until TSA goes away this countries monuments are dead to us.

So, I'm a little behind the times here...you mean the TSA is patrolling monuments? I thought they were basically airport cops...

Top Bottom