Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    PHOTOS | Couple sought in connection with armed robbery outside northwest side Indianapolis restaurant | FOX59

Thought this was an interesting article - shows how these sort of things unfold. The assailants followed the victim to his car then banged on his window asking for directions. The victim lowered the window and got a gun stuck in his chest.

Curious - if you're carrying what's the best way to handle this sort of situation?
    The man had a situational awareness fail, he identified a perceived threat, and took no actions afterward. Get in truck, drive away.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's what... about 3-4 miles from where that IU Med School doctor was killed in his home?

Methinks a couple willing to stick a gun in a motorist's chest might also be willing to pull the trigger.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    That's what... about 3-4 miles from where that IU Med School doctor was killed in his home?

Methinks a couple willing to stick a gun in a motorist's chest might also be willing to pull the trigger.

If you draw a 3-4 mile radius circle from where the IU doctor was killed, the circle will include a LOT of crime scenes. Connecting those crimes is jumping to conclusions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I work near there. A lot of the guys eat there for lunch. Not me. Even more reason to stay away now.

This was a random thing. Close to the interstate.
    I am wondering why the victim acted as he did. Flashed cash after noticing hinky activity. Let them get that close to him. Rolled down the window. So much fail here.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I am not one to arm chair quarterback but let’s look at this as a learning experience. One if I am going to carry that kinda cash I am not putting it all in one place. Meaning if I am carrying that kind of money it will be in several pockets so I don’t draw attention to myself. Two if my situational awareness alarm is going off then I am going to stay in a well lit and occupies place hence stay in the restaurant til such threat goes away. Three if I have to leave the restaurant because of time restraints then I am moving with purpose to my vehicle and leaving the area quickly and safely. Four if those whom I feel is a threat to me and I am all ready in my vechicle and they try to stop me by standing in front of the vechicle well they are going to lose that battle weather I am hitting the horn or by moving them forcefully. Just my though on this situation. I like to think I can learn from others experiences.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Drawing a 3 mile radius around the doctor's house would produce what looks like a multiple crime wave, but the crimes would be concentrated south of his house, not north. A one mile radius around his house produces 15 reported crimes during the last 30 days. Since I get the monthly crime stats, that seemed like a helluva lot to me. It was mostly theft from vehicle. And from those monthly stats I can tell you that there are many months where there are no crimes within a 1/4 mile of that guy's house. I live about 300 yards from there and my neighborhood gets a reported crime about once/year.

Philly Steak however gets 38 reported crimes in a one mile radius for the last 30 days. But it's pretty commercial around there with lots of parked cars -- employees, shoppers, and diners. Again most are thefts from cars. It's a pretty tame area and this won't stop me from having the occasional cheesesteak.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I am not one to arm chair quarterback but let’s look at this as a learning experience. One if I am going to carry that kinda cash I am not putting it all in one place. Meaning if I am carrying that kind of money it will be in several pockets so I don’t draw attention to myself. .......
    I routinely carry $400 in cash on vacation, sometimes much more, and it's in multiple locations, increasing my odds of losing $100, but making it almost impossible to lose more. It's just common sense, but then sense isn't that common. Thanks.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If there is no room to reverse with the wheels turned to the right. Open the door and reverse full throttle. The trick here is to already have the vehicle running. If you lay down in the seat with it in reverse, the perp will most likely open the door for you. All of this may still get you shot. Stay aware and at least pretend to be humble. Some people like to flash cash. This is what flash cash buys.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Damn. I eat lunch there all the time (in fact, I ate there yesterday).

Still though, there seems to be a lot of daylight armed robberies around here (I live nearby too). I had another co-worker get held up at the Citgo at 86th and Michigan a few years ago. Broad daylight and some thug decides to stick up the gas station. These guys are super brazen. The White Castle a block up from the Citgo has this huge bullet proof glass shield they drop on the counter (with one of those airlock boxes where you can't have both ends open at the same time).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Damn. I eat lunch there all the time (in fact, I ate there yesterday).

Still though, there seems to be a lot of daylight armed robberies around here (I live nearby too). I had another co-worker get held up at the Citgo at 86th and Michigan a few years ago. Broad daylight and some thug decides to stick up the gas station. These guys are super brazen. The White Castle a block up from the Citgo has this huge bullet proof glass shield they drop on the counter (with one of those airlock boxes where you can't have both ends open at the same time).

Interstate access. In and out/gone in moments.

Top Bottom