Do you get your gun back after a justifiable shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    So I have searched for this with no avail.
    I keep just a cheap car gun in the car while at work because I don't want a thief to jack my 50 dollar car safe and get a shiny Sig out of it. (they'll just get a cheap poly wonder.) That being said I normally carry my Sig while out and about. But if I get into a situation where I use my weapon and I'm clearly justified do I get my gun back?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    You'll probably get it back but dont expect it to look like it did when you gave it up. I think is the general consensus. Also if i have to use my gun and it saves my life they can keep it if they want, its a tool. Ill just be grateful for another day here.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Honestly money should be the least of your worries. 1k gun or your life. No brainier for me.

But if everything goes well yes you should get it back.

As for a thief, most thief's are smash and grab. Just make sure its cabled up good, and you don't leave it in the vehicle unless it's required.
    Another thing to be cautious about is don't advertise to your coworkers that you have one in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And it also depends on how backed up the crime lab is. My understanding is in Indy at least they do ballistics test on EVERY gun that hits the property room. Kinda like a DNA test for a prisoner/person of interest so they can make sure they didnt accidentally snag something(someone) related to another crime.

If the lab is backed up it can take months. I recall seeing here at one time the wait was between 8 and 18 months or some ridiculous number like that. There was no question it would be returned; just how long it would take them to get to it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    And it also depends on how backed up the crime lab is. My understanding is in Indy at least they do ballistics test on EVERY gun that hits the property room. Kinda like a DNA test for a prisoner/person of interest so they can make sure they didnt accidentally snag something(someone) related to another crime.

If the lab is backed up it can take months. I recall seeing here at one time the wait was between 8 and 18 months or some ridiculous number like that. There was no question it would be returned; just how long it would take them to get to it.

I had a stolen gun recovered and had to go downtown to the city-county building to get fingerprinted just to begin the process of having the gun released back to me.

That was back in June and I still haven't been contacted about when I can pick it up.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Yes.

After 4.5 months investigation on the incident I had to get my atty to get Carmel to return mine. They initially told me they would only get them the next time they had to go to the state crime lab, no sooner. After a call from my atty I had them bright and early the next day.

Chuck

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thankfully, I haven't been down this road. But from my understanding as long as there is a case pending it is classified as evidence and can't be released until the case has concluded. Even then you may need an attorney to file a request with the judge to authorize its release.

A few years ago my brother had a handgun stolen from his work truck. Once it was recovered by police (on someone arrested) it was tested and had to have a release authorization from the detective once that case was finished. When he recieved it back it looked pretty rough. But after a thorough cleaning it was good to go

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a stolen gun recovered and had to go downtown to the city-county building to get fingerprinted just to begin the process of having the gun released back to me.

That was back in June and I still haven't been contacted about when I can pick it up.

I'd call and check the status.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I knew of one that took a couple years. They held it until the perp went to trial and all appeals had been exhausted. At least that is what he said he was told.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've always thought about this when it comes to the rifle I keep next to my bed. If I use that and the can I have attached to it goes with it I'll be out that for awhile too which would suck a lot worse for a guy if it was his only one. You can get your hands on another rifle or pistol quickly, but a can you have to wait for.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    All the more reason to have extras, extras at home, extras at your familes’ homes, extras at the bank, extras elsewhere that are easily accessible to you, extras are good!

Top Bottom