Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The passage below is from the code of conduct/students rights/responsibilities from a University in this state. I cut and pasted it below. Does it mean that a student with a LTCH could carry on campus within the rules?

Weapons. Possession, use or distribution of explosives (including fireworks and ammunition), firearms(including air guns, BB guns, paintball, Tasers, facsimile weapons and pellet guns) except as permitted by law, or other weapons or dangerous objects such as arrows, axes, machetes, nun chucks, throwing stars or knives, including the storage of any item that falls within the category of a weapon in a vehicle parked on university property;

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I read it as "Firearms" banned... which also is expanded to non firearms. The "as permitted by law" part could be argued... but if they are a private university then they will change it fast.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The way I see it, the "except as permitted by law" is the key to it. If it's not illegal then the rule (or whatever) doesn't apply. You would be forbidden to carry a firearm without a LTCH, but with one you are "permitted by law" so it doesn't apply to you. Would be the same way with an automatic knife, assuming they were still illegal in Indiana. You could carry a 4" folder or fixed blade but not a 4" automatic.

So it looks like the policy says they follow state law, in a round a bout way.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The way I see it, the "except as permitted by law" is the key to it. If it's not illegal then the rule (or whatever) doesn't apply. You would be forbidden to carry a firearm without a LTCH, but with one you are "permitted by law" so it doesn't apply to you. Would be the same way with an automatic knife, assuming they were still illegal in Indiana. You could carry a 4" folder or fixed blade but not a 4" automatic.

That is the way I read it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It seems to be missing the second half.

All of those things are ... what?

Above the list of things that are not allowed was a line that said something to the effect that the following list is prohibited or contrary to what they allow.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Make sure to get to your final year, semester and OC to your last final exams. See if they kick you off campus and fire up the litigation wagon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I got the same thing with a flavor of trying to discourage as many people as possible from actually doing what the law allows.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    ...all of those things are legal to posses (except maybe throwing stars), and as such are "permitted by law"... so this policy does nothing.

I found the full policy...
    https://www.marian.edu/docs/default...udentrightsandresponsibilities.docx?sfvrsn=14

In reality it does nothing practical. What it does do is let the university say that they have a policy in place the addresses the issue. It makes the sheeple that don't understand what it says feel better. It doesn't have any effect on law abiding people, but at the same time satisfies the public, lawyers & insurance. It also gives them the ability to say that they are following state law and not discriminating or ignoring anyone, all the while not disrupting anyone's activity.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Same here.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It's either a poorly written policy by someone who is not well informed about what is legal and what isn't, or it's a back door way to allow carrying while having a sounds-good policy. My guess is that it's the former; expecting it to be the latter is wishful thinking.

Considering that it's from a private university, the policy would likely fail a challenge from either side and then be quickly revised.

Conceal and STFU.

Doesn't the US Post Office have similar "lawful purposes" wording in their policy? And we know how that is interpreted...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I read it as "If the wrong person at the university finds out you are carrying, you will have problems, but if you CC and keep your mouth shut you will probably be GTG".
    "You know what we meant"

Think of the dilemma we face with the 2A use of the word militia and the placement of a comma. What seems simple is not always clear.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That was either written by committee and they left all the edits in, or someone didn't delete the contradictory parts. Their definition of "firearm" is nowhere near the State of Indiana's definition. Basically that's horribly written, probably on purpose.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was told by the Chief of Police that only Law Enforcement was allowed to carry on campus. Any guest found to be carrying would be asked to leave. Students found carrying would be expelled. I told him that the policy does not read like that.

Top Bottom