• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My husband and daughter went to a Neil deGrasse Tyson show last night at Old National Center (we, being old, still call it the Murat, but I digress.

They arrived early to find a security check at the entrance. This was apparently not one of those "peek in the bag, let you go" but they were using metal detectors and claimed that people needed to remove everything from their pockets (pennies and gum wrapper were specifically mentioned outloud). My husband was not carrying his gun at the time but had a very small pocket knife. He didn't want to go back to the car, so he tried hiding it with his change and phone in the bowl. This failed, and he had to go back to the car to find a longer line. He also indicated they were doing pretty detailed checks of every bag brought in.

They got into the show on time but many people did not. The line was so slow that there were people entering for over 20 minutes after the show started. So this not only interfered with a right to carry, and a right to save yourself from various emergencies and inconveniences with your pocket knife, but also reduced the enjoyment of the show.

I'm wondering what person or organization made this security decision. The Shriners apparently still own the building. They, on the surface, are not anti-gun. They hold a charity sportsmans raffle every year. Would this be a theater manager?

With the rate of concealed carry permit holders in Indiana I find this security check a very bad choice from the PR standpoint as well as (obviously) the freedom standpoint. My husband also said there was no evidence of armed security in the theater. (I give some credibility to the idea of thorough security checks if there is actual security provided though I'd still prefer to keep my own at hand).

I also have to think this level of delay and intrusion annoyed a lot of people that don't even carry guns or knives.

Finally, I just looked at their website and the FAQs don't cover this issue at all. I'd be super-ticked if others saw me with my gun or knife and then knew I was putting it in my car. I'd of course be already super-ticked that I bought an expensive ticket and was being disarmed in order to use it.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Off duty LEO with LEO identification were asked to disarm prior to entry to the Murat Theater, same as Lucas Oil...It's bull**** all the way around.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Off duty LEO with LEO identification were asked to disarm prior to entry to the Murat Theater, same as Lucas Oil...It's bull**** all the way around.

As usual, the two best ways to hit them are by expressing your response to their actions and spending your moneys elsewhere. Like the NFL, until they feel the bad press and loss of income, nothing will be done to change their behavior.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I had to go back to the car tonight the KLOVE Christmas concert! I agree, boycott & convey why! If we had not been given the tickets I would not have gone. Perhaps we could get a bill introduced to charge a $1000 permit for every metal detector at every event! :)

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    The fact that ALMOST EVERY attack has been started OUTSIDE and worked their way INTO the event means jacks**t to these people... It is all about emotions and INSURANCE POLICIES.

Hit them (like the NFL) with bad PR and declining sales ... Just like our "No Guns = No Money" cards.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm wondering what person or organization made this security decision. The Shriners apparently still own the building. They, on the surface, are not anti-gun. They hold a charity sportsmans raffle every year. Would this be a theater manager?

Last time I went to the Shriners' sportsman's raffle they still had up the "No Firearms" signs. Seemed kind of strange. I didn't pay any attention to it, and they didn't have any further checks, etc on it, but it turned me off. I haven't been back to it in person since then.

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Can confirm metal detectors and bag search here. In their defense there were 2-4 armed impd officers out front when I went though they seemed more concerned with their conversation than surveying the area.

Wish ccw permits were honored in more privately owned event spaces.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wish ccw permits were honored in more privately owned event spaces.
    Unfortunately that wouldn't help 99% of Indiana residents that have licenses to carry (concealed or open).

Come on, if I didn't someone else would. :):

Welcome to INGO, the CCW / LTCH is a bit of a running joke around here.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like they have inconsistency depending on the event. I was there for an event 3 weeks ago, no metal detectors just open bag searches. If you concealed well you could have made it through. One of the staff checking kicked me out at first because he got a glimpse of my pocket knife clip on my jeans and told me that I can't take that in there.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ALL Live Nation venues are SUPPOSED to utilize walk through s and wands. I’ve noticed, in practice, that it is generally event specific.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like they have inconsistency depending on the event. I was there for an event 3 weeks ago, no metal detectors just open bag searches. If you concealed well you could have made it through. One of the staff checking kicked me out at first because he got a glimpse of my pocket knife clip on my jeans and told me that I can't take that in there.

Could be. I was there a month ago, full detectors.

I had my flashlight, but found a nice small Coast light on the floor. :yesway:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    As a 100M+ organization... liability for even 1 carrier (regardless of LTCH status) Means MILLIONS in additional liability insurance in the event of injury/death on property during an event. Same way with the Shriners... their building, their butt if something happens. So requiring additional permits for privately owned (leased, rented, etc.) detectors isn’t going to help... just means 1 less (or multiple less) shows or organizations bringing money and jobs to the city.

As as far as LEO possession for a private event... status doesn’t dictate any additional favors if they have to undertake additional liability coverage for any LEO actions undertaken during private event. LEO’s can’t carry in federal buildings if not on official business... but that’s a digression.

instead of commiserating on this forum... send emails, boycott, etc., but until it costs them noticeable amounts of money there is no incentive to change policies and procedures. They don’t care about you feeling unsafe without your piece, they care about the insurance claims and the blowback by “concerned parties” and the news media with headline “Live Nation encourages ... by allowing ... during events”. Insert phrase of your choice.

Top Bottom