• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It didnt make the news, but this AM around 7-7:30 there were 3 individuals driving around a SW side Indy township doing armed robberies by finding targets of opportunity as people were warming up/scraping windows and otherwise trying to go to leave their homes to go to work. Not stealing cars, but apparently going for phones, purses, wallets, etc. I think the patrolman said they hit 8 people in the township before they were caught. I dont think anyone was hurt.

My across the street neighbor was the 8th victim.

I was rousted from my bed by a firm, persistent knock at the front door at 7:45. It was IMPD. I was half asleep and confused/shocked and asked "wait, what? Robbery or burglary?" the latter and other property crimes arent uncommon here. Neighbors knew about my cameras and he asked me to see if I got anything to get a better description of the perp. (only 15 mins had passed and they wanted answers NOW) I had. Not as much detail as I would wish, but I got the act, with audio. (it was sickening and angering to watch such a nice young lady assaulted and terrified simply for being outside on her own property minding her own business) :xmad:

You cant see the car on video (just out of frame) but you can see the headlights where they do a u turn at the intersection and park facing the exit for a getaway about 125' from her. He comes into frame walking in her general direction but not directly at her. He hits the sidewalk behind her car and appears to have a trajectory of moving on down the sidewalk. As he reaches the far side of the drive walking away from her, he immediately does a 180 and walks behind the car and approaches her by the drivers door and points a gun at her. That is where she screams and runs off. (cant say I blame her) She ran to the front door with perp in tow for help from her boyfriend, screaming hysterically the whole way. The perp followed her, presumably to follow her inside, but from my perspective, as soon as she opened the front door and their pitbull started barking he took off like Usain Bolt. :): I SOOOO wish the dog had bolted out the door taken a piece of him. (He's really a big baby, even though he looks vicious.)

The detective stopped by half an hour after the Patrolman told him I had video. He said they thought they had the suspects in custody. Woohoo!!! They nailed them right outside our neighborhood, about 250yds up the street)

Here is the takeaway I got from it. Her SA sucked. A car does a U turn 100' away from her and parked. Then somebody got out and started walking toward her while the car remained and was still running. (HUUUGE red flag... unless the car leaves) She appeared to have no idea he was there.

So what changes in my carry habit? I usually would not "strap on" and carry at home until I had to go out and leave my property. (its a peaceful, safe neighborhood after all) Then I would strap on and just leave it on when I got home because my Supertuck is awesome and super comfy. *shameless plug* I think that will change from now on and my gun will go on right after my belt is threaded through my pants and my wallet goes into my pocket. Im going to always have at least a pocket gun, or OC spray if I'm in running shorts and outside. This is getting ridiculous. They have gone from sneaking around and stealing stuff when people arent looking at oh-dark thirty, to sneaking into running cars left to warm up, to now strong arming folks as they get ready to leave for work. It cant get much worse than this. (well, yes it can. We do have the odd home invasion, but that so far (thank God) is due to drug activity. Perps figure out drugs are being sold and there is mucho cash in the house)

Here is hoping my video helps the prosecution. But my money is on a plea deal and 6 months in county lockup.(if that) Just in time to do this again in nice weather. Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if he is out before the snow melts. Here is hoping next time he catches a bullet. Animals. And most infuriating, as they were doing this, The school buses were running. They missed the elementary bus by 5 minutes or so. Another 30 minutes and there would have been about 6 high school kids standing around waiting for the bus.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for posting this CM. I live a few miles away (around Banta and Harding) and haven't seen such, but I'll be much more vigilant now. Appreciate the warning!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Damn. Hopefully we are talking about damaged cartilage and not the lead breaching the skull.

Can't find it online, but paraphrased from print newspaper
    The Times, 8 Dec, page A5.
    Headline 2 Dead, 2 wounded in 4 shootings since Sunday in Gary.
    About 540 AM he was walking to his vehicle (300 block of Garfield) and was approached and asked for money.*
    When he refused, he was told "don't make me shoot you"
    He gave him $5 from his pocket. And the man started patting him down for more.
    When the man looked away, he tackled him. The man broke away, stood up and fired several shots.
    He suffered a minor gunshot to the ear

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Wow
    Its like you guys live in another state!
    The strong arm tactics you described reminds me of the crime in South Africa.
    I avoid Indy if possible and I only visit the steel mills in Gary,Portage,East Chicago.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cameramonkey has surveillance cameras. That light-bulb just came on, it's early on a Saturday morning, cut me some slack.

Serious note: Thanks for posting this Cm. It's good to hear the baddies were in the back of a squad car quickly and that IMPD took care of business. How many stories like this are there that get no press coverage? The front lines in the war on crime keeps getting closer to the front door.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow
    I avoid Indy if possible and I only visit the steel mills in Gary,Portage,East Chicago.

Thugs butt heads and douche bags are branching out. The interstates lead them to the promised land. They have stolen everything where they live so they come out to where the good stuff is......the burbs.

This has happened around here a lot. Young men walking down the street see a lady unloading her grocerys and see sheeple. Easy target. Doors on the mini-van are open as is the house. They see this as an opportunity. If I am out front I make eye contact with everybody that might walk by. We have auto start so the trucks are running in the morning. The spouse looks out to make sure no one is lurking before she goes out to the van. Just part of living in the city.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thugs butt heads and douche bags are branching out. The interstates lead them to the promised land. They have stolen everything where they live so they come out to where the good stuff is......the burbs.

This has happened around here a lot. Young men walking down the street see a lady unloading her grocerys and see sheeple. Easy target. Doors on the mini-van are open as is the house. They see this as an opportunity. If I am out front I make eye contact with everybody that might walk by. We have auto start so the trucks are running in the morning. The spouse looks out to make sure no one is lurking before she goes out to the van. Just part of living in the city.

I agree. We are a few people in the grand scheme of things here on this firearms enthusiast site. When you think about the general population, not only do they not have good situational awareness, they don't even know what that is. It takes people like CM that learned(sometimes the hard way, I suspect) to realize that it is healthy to be aware of surroundings. And then to teach those around them.

This week I was in Florence, AL eating dinner with some customers. Florence is regarded as a very safe town. When I left the restaurant, I was alone and the streets were empty. I was parked about 3 blocks away and walked to my car being very alert to my surroundings. When I turned the last corner to walk to my car parked on the street I see this guy come walking out of an alley. So I walked as if my car wasn't my car so he wouldn't head me off before I could get to it. Then when I got to the point where I knew I could make the car before he could close the gap, I made an abrupt turn and got in my car. As I was getting in his car he said something about me helping him. I just said "no" and got in my car. He may have been fine, but his facial expression when I said no was not one of surprise or disappointment. He just turned and kept walking.

I may not have acted in that manner walking to my car that night if it wasn't for reading and learning about SA on INGO and other sites/training.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Crime around here is mostly drug related, shoplifting, OWI, Bar fights, burning somebody’s barn down because you were mad at them.
    We had some out of town people attempt a holdup on an elderly couple they were doing there yard work and they stopped and asked for gasoline. While the old man was getting it one of them snuck in the house to steal stuff one of the neighbors called the police.
    We have 14 full time Police for a town of 7,000 they do a good job of pressuring bad elements out and almost every person is armed.
    I hope you guys stay safe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wow

Maybe when you're visiting the mills, stop by and we can get something to eat.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember how shocking it was to the community when they had a home invasion down in New Paris. It is the definition of a small rural Indiana town.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    It's a little disappointing that there isn't more news coverage of things like this but most folks probably wouldn't pay any more attention if the news did cover it. BBIs will tell you that most people think it will never happen to them so they have the (for those of you old enough to remember) the Alfred E. Newman mentality of "What me worry?"

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    Aron Bright
    [/FONT]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another reason why we park in the garage. Less time distracted out in the open. Also helps to be in a small 'hood where we all know each other, and anything different is IMMEDIATELY treated with suspicion.

And, if my pants are on, I am carrying.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, guys. Poor kids cant catch a break.

Last winter they adopted a pitbull from the shelter as a companion to Miko, the pit I referenced above. She had him since he was a puppy and now that they had a big yard wanted him to have a friend to play with.

All was great for the spring. Then one nice friday evening a neighbor was walking their dog while her dogs were out and the adopted pit jumped the fence and attacked the dog on the sidewalk. $1000 in vet bills later...

Fast forward a week, Same scenario with another dog but I heard this one happen and ran to help separate them. I found Miko on the ground being held by her sister who had her arms and legs around him to keep him out of the scrum. (he appeared both times to blindly follow out of curiosity but not participate in the attacks) I thought for a minute I was going to have to shoot the dog because we couldnt get her to unlock her jaw from the other dog's leg. I was able to twist the collar tight enough to get her to release. This time her sister needed stitches on a finger. The adopted dog was returned to the shelter to be put down the next day.

They learned their lesson and now have a vicious pocket dog. (A yorkie I think) He's adorable, and its hilarious to watch the two playing in the yard. Miko could eat him in one or two bites. :):

Here is hoping the rest of 2017 is uneventful for them. Its been a rough year.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why carry a gun at home???
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/438280-why-carry-gun-home.html

This is why I carry at home.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/396689-why-you-carry-home.html

Watching Have Gun Will Travel

Paladin is talking to an English gentleman who needs to travel to Montana. He explains the dangers and gives him his card.

The gentleman says, "Is the gun necessary?"

Haveguncard.png

Paladin responds, " It is not always necessary, but sometimes indespensablt."

Top Bottom