• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    It is now legal for Illinois citizens to carry a switch blade if they also have a Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID). What is the legality of carrying one in Indiana? Thanks much, Jim.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like they left local laws in place, so you can cross the street and become a criminal. Laws like this should always include preemption.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is now legal for Illinois citizens to carry a switch blade if they also have a Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID). What is the legality of carrying one in Indiana? Thanks much, Jim.

No statute. Carry any sized or any number switchblades that you so desire.

Certain places may have size limitations (e.g. courthouses), but there is no state statute.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was stopped once at Lake County Indiana court house for a 2" pen knife. Another time I forgot I had a Stanley utility knife in my pocket and the deputy passed me through.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Looks like Indiana is good to go like always, being from Illinois it is nice to remember what it is like to live in a free America. I did find a couple knife law by state sites but not all were up to date so wanted to ask here. One state we visit is Minnesota and they are really restrictive about knives and switch blades are illegal there but no problem because they recognize my CCW. Illinois is my big deal because I cannot carry in so many places that I will now be legal to carry a SB. Interstate rest areas are probably the most needed because the idiots in this state made them no gun zones. Also when we travel I just avoid states where I can't carry. Jim.
    Rhino; how are you doing on your search for Minnesota?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like Indiana is good to go like always, being from Illinois it is nice to remember what it is like to live in a free America. I did find a couple knife law by state sites but not all were up to date so wanted to ask here. One state we visit is Minnesota and they are really restrictive about knives and switch blades are illegal there but no problem because they recognize my CCW. Illinois is my big deal because I cannot carry in so many places that I will now be legal to carry a SB. Interstate rest areas are probably the most needed because the idiots in this state made them no gun zones. Also when we travel I just avoid states where I can't carry. Jim.
    Rhino; how are you doing on your search for Minnesota?

PM on its way!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just in case rhino needs more hints:

where-is-minnesota.gif

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Very funny, Master Po!

Now you have to tell me if Minnesota is the red part, or the part that is not red.

As with assessing the damage after using knives, any parts highlighted in red deserve more focused attention. ;)

W

wingmaster

When did they change this law as I've always thought they were illegal in Indiana, even if you had a carry permit which didn't make much sense that your ok to carry a gun but not a switch blade knife?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    When did they change this law as I've always thought they were illegal in Indiana, even if you had a carry permit which didn't make much sense that your ok to carry a gun but not a switch blade knife?

Legal in 2013 HB1563, all knives with the exception of "ballistic" knives are 100% legal for anyone in the state of Indiana to own without needing a permit or any of that communist Illinois stuff.

https://www.akti.org/news/indiana-2013-knife-bill-would-remove-restrictions-to-automatic-knives/

Top Bottom